• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Voanioala gerardii

deezpalms

As some of you may know I recently purchased this fine palm. I am curious to hear anything about it from anyone else who's growing one, especially in California.

post-145-1192489612_thumb.jpg

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Dave,

This palm has great interest behind it. It's one of the most talked about species from Madagascar and one of the least understood. And probably less then 10-15 palm collectors in the world  have ever seen it in the wild. It's also one of the most threatned  palms on the island. But, the nice thing is that some seed has become available lately so in time, maybe some gardens around the world will be able to showcase this unique palm.

I have one small one in the yard, probably planted for about 3 years now.It has been pain stakenly slow for me. It only puts out 2-3 new leaves a year. We have been having mild winters for a few years now, so cold weather has not been an issue. Good luck with yours.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks guys, any pictures of your palms? Purdy pweeeeeze  :o

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

It is a novelty for anyone outside of the tropics. In California it will most likely never survive outside in the ground for very long. I have one in my greenhouse and there it will stay for life as a potted plant.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Honestly, I think these will survive outdoors in California.  I got one as a germinated seed last year in about November.  It was a double germinated seed so there were two leaf spikes coming up.   I kept it in my unheated coldframe (got down to 37F) all winter and it did just fine.  Both plants are pushing their third leaves now and are deep green and flawless looking.  So while it didn't live outside, I usually consider things that grow well through the winter in my coldframe as pretty good bets for survival outside.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

While this want help you here Dave here is a pic of mine just planted in Hawaii. I hope it's doing well  ??? .

Steve

post-351-1192517858_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Dave,

The jury is still out, but I'm optimistic on this species.  We've sold quite a few over the years.  I know a fellow in Beverly Hills who has had one growing outdoors for about five years.  In our greenhouses, they took 35 degrees last winter with no damage.  They do like the heat and have done best in sunny locations in the greenhouse.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Don't let them dry out during the heat of the summer.  :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This has to be the most slowest growing palm in my collection...  I don't think they have done anything... My Psuedophoenix ekmanii show more growth than these...  This palm is really going to teach me patience...   :cool: I agree, mine seem to be a deep shade of green, can they handle full sun as seedlings?  Extra fertilizer?  More water?   Or just more sit down, shut up, and wait? :D

DSC00996.jpg

Thanks for the info guys! As you all know there is very little info about this palm on the web.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

(Matt in SD @ Oct. 15 2007,23:35)

Honestly, I think these will survive outdoors in California.  I got one as a germinated seed last year in about November.  It was a double germinated seed so there were two leaf spikes coming up.   I kept it in my unheated coldframe (got down to 37F) all winter and it did just fine.  Both plants are pushing their third leaves now and are deep green and flawless looking.  So while it didn't live outside, I usually consider things that grow well through the winter in my coldframe as pretty good bets for survival outside.

Matt

Damn Matt, mine's two years old and it's maybe working on its fourth leaf.  It took 0C (32F) in my cold frame last winter with no damage...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I know Matt P can grow just about anything, but there is a big difference between growing a palm in a pot or cold frame at 32F, and growing it in the ground at 32F. IF you add in the fact that it is one of the slowest palms on the planet, I can pretty much be assured that whether it's one year or ten, the palm will eventually die in So Cal winters before it reaches any worthwhile size.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

(PiousPalms @ Oct. 16 2007,15:52)

Wow, they do grow...

June 28, 2007 for comparison

DSC00691.jpg

That ain't bad growth at all! Quit snivelling... :P

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

This thread reminds me of what they say in real estate: "location, location, location". And Steve (post #7), with a wife in real estate obviously knows this well since he planted his in the right location (Hawaii)!! :D  :D

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Oct. 17 2007,19:02)

This thread reminds me of what they say in real estate: "location, location, location". And Steve (post #7), with a wife in real estate obviously knows this well since he planted his in the right location (Hawaii)!! :D  :D

How true Bo, but starting off with a healthy palm does'nt hurt either and your palms are flawless! Thanks again for this and all the great palms I got from you! I'm hoping to plant myself in the right location (Hawaii) someday but for now I have to chase the almighty dollar  :o .

Aloha,

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.