• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My first visit from PT Members was a 2fer

TheMadScientist

This visit in California really started because @Johnny Palmseed in Florida was so kind to share some of his Veitchia Joannis seeds.  You can read about his "neighbor wars" over this seed supplier palm that was removed to keep some kind of PEACE with a 20 year neighbor.  14 months later, a PT Member in So. Cal. was hoping to receive some of these same seeds and heard this story.  I was messaged leading to a first visit yesterday Tuesday 8-15-2023 to see these seedlings.  @Palmiz brought another PT Member @Billeb and they got to see what I am dealing with to germinate seeds, then keeping the seedlings alive.  I've got plenty of property but it is on an ancient riverbed where everything will die.  I use existing Calif. Pepper Tree canopy for  shade and learned that I only trimmed branches for my height and not their taller stature....OUCH, hope the stab wounds have healed in this heat.   Before they headed home at 12 noon, yard temp. was 103 deg. F, it did reach 110 deg. F a couple of hours later.  Both of them receive OCEAN BREEZES that can lower the ambient temp. by 15 to 20 deg. F from me.

I highly encourage PT Members to exchange visits....not all of us have the desired conditions to propagate the Palm Species of Choice, but we all seem LOVE WHAT WE HAVE AND LOVE TO SHARE THIS WITH OTHERS.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

Yes it was brutal out there and how you keep these seedling alive out there Scott is amazing and also to mention the condition they are in is awesome also. Thank you @Johnny Palmseed for supplying these seeds to us over here in California. Thanks again Scott for giving us a tour of your grows! I didn't waste anytime and grounded it already! Very healthy root system. Ready to explode. Keep you posted on your baby Joannis.

20230816_105714.jpg

20230816_105001.jpg

I've looked at this palm for about 14 months daily....it's already showing signs of being happier at it's new home.....

Edited by TheMadScientist

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

Such a nice story and just one of so many days made better in the company of folks we met on this forum. 

Palms that remind us of people and places are memory plants too. 

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

Cindy Adair

6 hours ago, TheMadScientist said:

This visit in California really started because @Johnny Palmseed in Florida was so kind to share some of his Veitchia Joannis seeds.  You can read about his "neighbor wars" over this seed supplier palm that was removed to keep some kind of PEACE with a 20 year neighbor.  14 months later, a PT Member in So. Cal. was hoping to receive some of these same seeds and heard this story.  I was messaged leading to a first visit yesterday Tuesday 8-15-2023 to see these seedlings.  @Palmiz brought another PT Member @Billeb and they got to see what I am dealing with to germinate seeds, then keeping the seedlings alive.  I've got plenty of property but it is on an ancient riverbed where everything will die.  I use existing Calif. Pepper Tree canopy for  shade and learned that I only trimmed branches for my height and not their taller stature....OUCH, hope the stab wounds have healed in this heat.   Before they headed home at 12 noon, yard temp. was 103 deg. F, it did reach 110 deg. F a couple of hours later.  Both of them receive OCEAN BREEZES that can lower the ambient temp. by 15 to 20 deg. F from me.

I highly encourage PT Members to exchange visits....not all of us have the desired conditions to propagate the Palm Species of Choice, but we all seem LOVE WHAT WE HAVE AND LOVE TO SHARE THIS WITH OTHERS.

Good to put a face to the name Scott. Thanks for the invite! As Izzy said, it’s shocking the amount of attention it takes to get things growing at your place.  I haven’t grounded the Joannis yet but do have plans to do so. It will definitely see Earth in the not too distant future. I have a feeling it will do very well in Huntington Beach. 

2 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

….Palms that remind us of people and places are memory plants too. 

That’s one of my favorite parts of collecting Cindy. Every plant has a story. 🤙

-dale 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Such a nice story and just one of so many days made better in the company of folks we met on this forum. 

Palms that remind us of people and places are memory plants too. 

Thanks for sharing.

Your so right about Cindy about meeting people on this forum. Everyone I met has been so kind and knowledgeable. I like the stories of where the seeds came from and mysteries of hybridization also who you buy or gifted it from. I also label all my palms as to who I got them from so I don't forget. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1