• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caryota mitis

redant

I have one about 4ft tall. While I'm a palmaholic, this one just does not do it for me. It's to messy, seeds like crazy and the seeds pop on their own as weeds that are difficult to pull.

Anyone have a picture of a Caryota mitis that they think is attractive (not as a wall of them as is what they are frequently used as).

If I can't find a use in my landscaping for this one it's getting donated to the high school AG department.

What you you do with one?

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

you could use it as an indoor plant,they are being used for that more & more around here.outdoors i have been using them as a screen so i don't have to look at the derelict cars & piles of rubbish in my neighbors backyard.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Mine is potted indoors, one of the few palms I can keep alive inside (so far).   Kind of livens up the living room corner.  Wish I had a few more, I like the indoor jungle look.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

indoor plant = death at my house, which in this case might be OK.

It's in a pot on the porch for now.

Jupiter FL

(redant @ Oct. 16 2007,12:49)

I have one about 4ft tall. While I'm a palmaholic, this one just does not do it for me. It's to messy, seeds like crazy and the seeds pop on their own as weeds that are difficult to pull.

redant,

If death is what you wish sounds like it is on track for that exact scenario.

As I understand it  caryota's are monocarpic,which would mean that if it is flowering at 4 feet high ,it doesn't have too long for this world, as  when flowering  gets to the top stem it will be history!

My question would be why is it flowering at 4 feet high?

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

This one is not flowering, but I have had experience. Also I don't believe the Mitis to be monocarpic, and if it was the "others" don't follow along. This is a clumper so it's very difficult to keep clean looking. I have cut a 18 ft one to the ground (all of the pieces) only to see in amazement new shoots coming out of all the old trunks. I had to have the stump grinder chew it up in order to kill the thing off. That was 4 years ago and I still have seedlings showing up all over the place. :angry:

Jupiter FL

redant,

You are correct that it  does suckers,but it is still moncarpic as when the stem,(trunk) completes flowering that stem or trunk dies! New suckers will take the place of dead stems even if no seeds germinate under it!

Sounds like you already have had the experience of one in the ground. So I guess you just wanted confirmation that it needed to be sent to the ag department! :laugh:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I'd love to have some of those awful seeds, I have looked all over for this palm and can;t find it.

It used to be very common in every box store around, not its been seemingly "discontinued" and replaced by Cat Palms, CHristmas Palms and Queen Palms (and the ubiquitous Majesty Palm)

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

I agree- they usually look bad, but they CAN look really good.

First, you want to plant it in the ground, and make sure it has plenty of minors to stay nice and green. (mang, mag)

A yellowy mitis just looks awful.

second, they do require some occasional pruning the look neat, and not like a massive mess of stalks and fronds.

I manage mine like you would a clump of Dypsis Lutescens- I select certain trunks to grow on, while nipping back others, allowing for space in between each big trunk.

I let a few "replacement" trunks grow on as the bigger ones get to flowering.. then when I feel its time, I chop down large flowering trunks and let the others take their place.

Basically, it helps to keep them thinned out a bit.

Dear Friends  :)

here is a still of that lovely palm and i must tell that other than the zebra variety of Caryota the other favouriate will be this C.Mitis.though iam a fan of the stouter varities but this C.Mitis is a exception to the rule..i simply love it.

01ae9222.jpg

Lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, the ones in your pictures look nicer then the big clumps such as the one on the rps site.

heliconias, any pictures of yours? The problem I had encountered when trying to thin out the one I had was that any trunk I removed, regardless of how low I cut it a new shoot would emerge from that same trunk. I have not had this problem with Dypsis Lutescens which I keep thinned out as well.

Jupiter FL

(metalfan @ Oct. 16 2007,15:12)

I'd love to have some of those awful seeds, I have looked all over for this palm and can;t find it.

It used to be very common in every box store around, not its been seemingly "discontinued" and replaced by Cat Palms, CHristmas Palms and Queen Palms (and the ubiquitous Majesty Palm)

Gina,

We took a couple to Tropiflora and sold them.  We didn't expect to sell either!  We also had them at the palm sale last weekend and sold them.  I didn't realize they are now scarce at the big box stores!  If you still want one in the spring, let me know and we can bring one to Tropiflora.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

If I lived in Zone 10 and had limited space, this is probably not a palm I would put in the ground. Unless the plants are used as screen, they look best when given room and thinned out.

I have a Caryota mitis that has been in a pot outside for several years. It is over crowded and looks awful. I considered putting in the ground a while back, but I don’t really have the space for it and I was worried about it spreading too much. Can I transplant it and split the clumps or should I just thin it out?

When they are grown right; well irrigated and fertilized, good soi, they are a nice looking palm. They are horrible for inside, big time spider mite magnets. In the shade they have a more open look, in full sun they are dense clumpers. I have seen them in SoFL become kind of weedy as old clumps that are flowering produce lots of fertile seed that germinate readily. Here they used to never get big as periodic freezes killed them back to the roots. Now there are huge clumps all over town that are flowering.

Here is one at Leu Gardens in the sun, 20ft tall

9811.jpg

and one in shade

d13c.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

here are a couple more shots.

caryota_mitis.jpg

caryota_mitis_infl.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

The problem is when they aren't thinned down to 3 or 5 trunks, they look nothing like a palm. More like a big messy bush.

I have one against my fence I'm flat ignoring. Maybe the sprinkler hit's it.. I don't know. No fertilizer, no attention at all. It survived the freeze with minor leaf damage.

Anyone else have a palm they are neglecting, just for the heck of it?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Dear Friends  :)

iam no palm expert but many memebrs have asked what to do when they get dense or bushy ! its very simple...first select the tall ones on 1..2...3 on the height basis.and cut of all the extras & clumps.just keep 3 or 4 that is enough.then shave of all the leaves except the centeral spear & just a new leaf.do this in spring time or early summer.

And now to redant's question as to the new sprouts or fresh clumps,just put a cement slab,rocks,bolders..slabs on the region where you suspect fresh clump grouth.and do not fertilize this palm for one whole year better still stop fert treatment..then see the difference.

And folks avoide growing all the clumps of same height.for me i must start from seed germination for this palm.but you folks have a good mature palm so some tweaks in trunks & leaves will make it appear very beautiful.and do not waste time in transporting or transplanting to different location of your garden.its not worth the confusion... :D

And iam shure most of you will have a chainsaw or go rent one and finish the job !

And by the way some members have complained that its too dense can we all see the stills_long shot of your palms since it will be easier for me to say which trunks should go...

thanks & love ,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif