• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need some diagnosis or advice

Mauricio

Hi there. I'm new in this forum. It’s really fantastic the opportunity this forum gives to exchange opinions and advice about palm trees with people from all over the world fantastic. I’m a fan of Archontophoenix palms and I have two in my garden, both very young but one healthier than the other. The one that doesn't look good to me has been planted on the ground for almost six months. I don't know what can happen to its leaves, as you will see, they are getting darker and withered, but new leaves continue to grow in the center. In my city, in August, we are in the middle of winter and I think I water my palm trees sparingly, every four or five days. Could someone give me some kind of diagnosis and guidance on the general health of this specimen that I have in my garden? Let me share a recent pic of my king palm that has me worried. Thank you very much.!! Mauricio - La Serena, CHILE. 2023-07-3014_19_05.thumb.jpeg.16379d3d897506e82b85bfd820b759ca.jpeg

It appears to be planted too deep. Remove soil from the base until you see the tops of the roots. Then stop. Use fingers, no tools. 

• Like 2

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

@Mauricio Follow @Alan_Tampa's advice and welcome to the forum!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, Alan_Tampa said:

It appears to be planted too deep. Remove soil from the base until you see the tops of the roots. Then stop. Use fingers, no tools. 

Thank you for the advice. Anyway,  my watering schedule for this palm it’s ok?  

All palms can take awhile to acclimate into their new location. If it was taken out of a nursery where it was shaded even 1/2 the day and you put it into a full sun location, it will shock. 
The soil does look too high. Is it at least semi well draining? How long does it take for the water to soak in that basin? I had a triple Alexandrae that looked terrible. Turns out it wasn’t getting water to the roots cuz the medium was too thick. Dug the Palm and put it back in with well draining soil…it turned around instantly. 

-dale 

9 minutes ago, Billeb said:

All palms can take awhile to acclimate into their new location. If it was taken out of a nursery where it was shaded even 1/2 the day and you put it into a full sun location, it will shock. 
The soil does look too high. Is it at least semi well draining? How long does it take for the water to soak in that basin? I had a triple Alexandrae that looked terrible. Turns out it wasn’t getting water to the roots cuz the medium was too thick. Dug the Palm and put it back in with well draining soil…it turned around instantly. 

-dale 

Thank you Dale for your comment. I actually bought it at a nursery six months ago. It was planted in the middle of summer, in a soil that drains quite well. However, a few months passed and except for the central leaf (the spear), which continued to grow, the general appearance of the palm tree was of little vitality. How can you see one of its leaves is completely brown and withered and the others halfway. I recently returned to the nursery where I bought it for advice and they pointed out that if the central leaf continued to grow there were no problems with my palm tree. I do not know what to think. I hope it's an acclimatization problem as you point out.