• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

sick trachycarpus fortunei?

chaselikespalms

Hello, i am new here to this forum and wanted to come on here to see if i could get some help on figuring out what could be stressing out my trachycarpus fortunei (windmill palm). I got it around 2014 shipped from Florida to Colorado. it’s about 7 years old and it’s been in a container its entire life, totaling 3 total pots up to this point. I’ve been wondering if that could be an issue as it’s been at least 2 or so years since i’ve repotted the palm. 

Aside from that i’ve always watered regularly and have tried to keep a good schedule. I’ve missed a few times here and there over the years and haven’t been 100% consistent (i mean who is) but i try not to let it dry out too much between waterings. it was outside the past 5 or so years in the summer and then i’d bring it in for the winter, but for the past 2 years it’s been indoors in a south-facing window. Could it not be getting enough light? Last year is when i noticed some leaves starting to turn yellowish and have some spots on them. I noticed there was little webs on and between the leafs on the fronds with little white bugs and thought they could have been spider mites, and I sprayed it with an insecticide/termiticide and that seemed to help get rid of them. 

The soil i have in there is relatively old (around 2 1/2 years) but it’s made up of mostly sand, rock, regular potting mix, and i added some peat moss and perlite to the top section of it this year. Could it be the peat moss holding too much moisture close to the trunk? i have fertilized once in May and again in mid July.. I didn’t try to add too much or get any close to the trunk when i fertilized both times because i was afraid of burning it. 

I have tried ruling out a lot of things but i don’t know what the right move would be in this situation. Do i repot it into a bigger pot and change the soil before this years winter?  Or should i simply back off on the watering and and spray it with a fungicide? Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks, Chase 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Probably too little light. If you can put it outside in more sun. Cut back on the watering if you can't move it to A Sunnier location outside. Mites are fairly normal when having palms indoors.