• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zamia splendens flushing

edbrown_III

5 hours ago, edbrown_III said:

Every year it just gets prettier 

Zamia splendens.jpg

Zamia splendens1.jpg

Zamia splendens2.jpg

Hi Ed do you water your Zamia a lot and is it in deep shade ?

• Like 1

@edbrown_III I'm wondering the same thing.  I bought a few seedlings from Naturegirl in the spring, but really don't know how to grow them.  Charlene said they need shade, but any help you can give on water or cold hardiness would be great!

10 hours ago, Merlyn said:

@edbrown_III I'm wondering the same thing.  I bought a few seedlings from Naturegirl in the spring, but really don't know how to grow them.  Charlene said they need shade, but any help you can give on water or cold hardiness would be great!

Hi Merlyn cold hardness my temperature gets down to 2 degrees Celsius possibly even lower so quite cold hardy but I think a frost wouldn’t help it out at all 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, happypalms said:

Hi Ed do you water your Zamia a lot and is it in deep shade ?

I have an area of the garden that has overhead micro sprinklers ===used to have it on a timer --- but was overwatering stuff ---- just turn it on manually- every day or so ----

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A few years back I bought Z. splendens and Z. skinneri. Only have the skinneri now. Don't really know what happened to the splendens. I was sick and couldn't get into the garden for a long time. A lot of bamboo collapsed over that area, not to mention palm fronds and some falling branches. The irrigation was damaged. Haven't cleared it all out yet but can't see the splendens anywhere. I think it may not be as drought tolerant as the skinneri. Unless it was animals that got to it.

• Upvote 1

so sorry to hear of you illness ----- I have been through a few bouts of respiratory problems  and lost some ferns 

On 9/2/2023 at 6:49 PM, happypalms said:

Hi Merlyn cold hardness my temperature gets down to 2 degrees Celsius possibly even lower so quite cold hardy but I think a frost wouldn’t help it out at all 

yeah they need some protection form the sun --- I have them on the margin of a forest   so they dont get direct sunlight in the afteernoon

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

A few years back I bought Z. splendens and Z. skinneri. Only have the skinneri now. Don't really know what happened to the splendens. I was sick and couldn't get into the garden for a long time. A lot of bamboo collapsed over that area, not to mention palm fronds and some falling branches. The irrigation was damaged. Haven't cleared it all out yet but can't see the splendens anywhere. I think it may not be as drought tolerant as the skinneri. Unless it was animals that got to it.

Hi tropicbreeze I have planted Zamia splendins 20 years ago and two completely disappeared about 5 years later now 20 years later they have returned that was after the drought broke in Australia with almost a year of wet weather they are in my opinion not drought tolerant I hope you can get out into your garden now and enjoy the fresh air