• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bauhinia madagascariensis

Peter

13 hours ago, Peter said:

IMG_9916.jpg

Beautiful flower.   What are you finding in the way of light requirements and water for this species grown here in Southern California?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy, I'm growing it in full sun, and it's been a little thirstier than I would have thought so far;  it's still on the smallish side, after 3-4 years in the ground-it's probably about 3' tall and somewhat sparse.  I have a friend here who has one growing in partial shade now and it's growing better for him now, so perhaps that would be preferable.  Another friend has the similar B greveii still in a pot and so far that one seems to be growing more upright and tree like-no pods on any of them as of yet

• Like 1

San Fernando Valley, California

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

Tracy, I'm growing it in full sun, and it's been a little thirstier than I would have thought so far;  it's still on the smallish side, after 3-4 years in the ground-it's probably about 3' tall and somewhat sparse.  I have a friend here who has one growing in partial shade now and it's growing better for him now, so perhaps that would be preferable.  Another friend has the similar B greveii still in a pot and so far that one seems to be growing more upright and tree like-no pods on any of them as of yet

I have a part shade spot i might want to try it in between palms that have tall crowns now.  Was it hard to find?  I don't recall ever seeing them for sale.  Might need to follow-up with Jim Sherman since he grows some of the harder to find trees.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

I have a part shade spot i might want to try it in between palms that have tall crowns now.  Was it hard to find?  I don't recall ever seeing them for sale.  Might need to follow-up with Jim Sherman since he grows some of the harder to find trees.

Tracy: Here's my B. grevei in a pot (I bring it indoors in the winter here in NorCal). It has an open habit and has stayed bush-like. I prune back the dead branches each spring. Flowers are very similar to Peter's B. madagascariensis. I grew mine from seed via RPS. Blooms have been infrequent this year, probably because I've kept it in more shade due to heatwaves.

Bauhinia_grevei.png.png

BauhiniaGrevei.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Peter said:

As an aside I am growing 2 Bauhinia hybrids that were purchased from Yucca Do a year before they ceased full operations. I grow one in full sun, and the other in half shade. The one in the shade grows faster and has leaves twice as large as the other one, but it blooms far less. If I buy any other orchid trees, I will select an area with a sunny exposure.

Hi 107˚, Lo 76˚

• Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego