• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Biennial Registration Open!

Cindy Adair

I have been asked to share the latest IPS publicity release concerning our long anticipated Biennial!

As this notice is quite time sensitive, I am posting here as an announcement to catch the attention of those who might not notice topics elsewhere.

🎉 Registration NOW OPEN! 🎉

The moment you've been waiting for is finally here! 🌟 Secure your spot today for the event of a lifetime and enjoy an exclusive offer! Get $150 off your registration when you sign up now through September 30th! 🌍✈️

📅 Date: September 22 – September 30, 2024

📍 Location: New Caledonia

Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity. Register now to join us for an unforgettable experience! 🌆🌴

Visit https://palms.org/2024-new-caledonia/ to claim your spot today.

Hurry, only 150 spaces are available! 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️ 

Please also see the following topic for details, photos and more information and reply only to the topic below.

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

I've been requesting a return to New Caledonia on EVERY Biennial suggestion sheet I've turned in after attending. various ones.  It has been 24 YEARS since the last one in New Cal, and that I missed!

For what is arguably a once in a lifetime trip, the price is very reasonable and I'm so glad I'm going!!

• Like 3

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm signed up and looking forward to this trip. The amount of work that went into planning this, at a place not easy to coordinate larger groups and habit trips, was immense. If you can swing it, you don't want to miss this one. 

• Like 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I understand the trip is a year away, but if you wait to decide you will pay more or not be able to attend at all. 

Details here:

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

PRE-tour, preliminary, for Benefactors

September 21, 2024 (Saturday)

Running the length of New Caledonia are a few high plateaus dividing New Caledonia’s East and West coast.  The diversity of endemic palms found on the slopes of these plateaus are different from those found closer to sea level.

The Southern Administrative Province will allow us to visit one of two plateau regions that are accessible by helicopter.  We were granted 30 (possibly more) visitation permits + up to 6 guides.  Given this limitation, the Pre-tour will be allotted to Benefactors of the IPS and will be scheduled for September 21, 2024.  This will require arrival in Noumea on September 20th.  A courtesy extension of the negotiated hotel room rates will be available.

Proposed Itinerary:  

1. September 20, 2024 (Friday): check-in at Chateau Royal.  Airport shuttle information to be sent when participant’s flight information is known (pending).  
2. September 21, 2024 (Saturday): Breakfast and leave hotel 7:30am by bus to Montagne des sources (MTS), approximate hotel to helicopter staging site under 1 hour. At  MTS (2,600 feet elevation): We can view Basselinia sordida, Basselinia porphyria, Burretiokentia grandiflora, Basselinia deplanchei, Basselinia deplanchei x Basselinia ? (“very amazing palm”), possibly Basselinia humboldtiana. 

OR 

Plateau de Dogny 

Approximate hotel to helicopter staging site about 2hours.  At Dogny (2,800 feet elevation), we can see Basselinia velutina, Clinosperma bracteale, Basselinia tomentosa.

3. A French picnic lunch will be served along with soft drinks.

4. Our stay on the plateau region will be approximately 3 hours.  Note, the helicopter can accommodate 5 passengers and pilot per one-way trip.  Hence, for 36 people (30 visitor permits and up to 6 guides), we will need 6 RT shuttles.  Flight is about 10 minutes from the staging bus point. 
5. Return to Chateau Royal approximately at 5 pm.  Dinner on own.

image.thumb.jpeg.c4cf73a615c3b163c329d0878e894a1a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.159d637e72e933f3bdefaf30393422ad.jpeg

POST-TOUR is open to ALL IPS MEMBERS 

Here is what is planned for Post-tour:

1)      Starts October 1, 2024 at the Chateau Royal for Days 1 & 2.

2)      Day 3 is at the Tieti Hotel in Poindimei.

3)      Day 4 is back at the Chateau Royal.

4)      Departure day  October 5th.

image.jpeg.8a7a1bceb208399364e5100122aaeedb.jpeg

• Like 1

I am told that there are more people who have signed up in the merely 11 days that full registration has been open than in any previous Biennial!

I don’t want anyone to pay the extra $150 it will cost after September 30 (or possibly get closed out) so please everyone tell all your friends in the Palm world to register now. 

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

• 2 months later...

Very few spaces remain for the pretour and the Biennial. Registration will close very soon. 

Don’t miss out.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

As of yesterday’s IPS newsletter, only 6 spots remain for the sure to be amazing New Caledonia Biennial and only 5 for the pretour. 

The main Biennial registration will close this Friday December 15! 

https://palms.org/2024-new-caledonia/

https://palms.org/2024-pre-tour-to-new-caledonia/

If you are on the fence NOW is the time to make the leap and sign up!

Cindy Adair

I have it on good authority that there are very cheap one-way flight from Fiji to NC! There are only two of these flights each week, one on Monday and one on Thursday. The one on Thursday will get people in one day early for the pre-tour.

Cindy Adair

• 2 weeks later...

The Biennial is effectively sold out, but there is a waiting list available at 

https://palms.org

I am very excited about this trip!

• Like 2

Cindy Adair