• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

T. Fortunei purchase root ball size

Palmlex

Hey everyone,

My budget allows me to get a $200-ish Trachycarpus Fortunei at the moment. Since I'm ordering online, I don't know exactly how the plant will look, but I have 2 options available and I was wondering what you might think.

Both palms are around 4-6'.

What would you get? A smaller palm with a larger root ball? (Assuming it fills up the container it comes in) or a taller palm with around 10 inches more trunk but a smaller root ball?

Thanks,

Alex

3 minutes ago, SeanK said:

Larger Palm. Move it up a bigger pot and move it indoors over the winter. Don't pay for dirt.

Wouldn't it be fine to plant it in the ground since it's only September?

Edited by Palmlex

Agree with @SeanK. You are better off planting in spring in your climate so the palm has a whole growing season to establish in the ground.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

7 hours ago, Palmlex said:

Hey everyone,

My budget allows me to get a $200-ish Trachycarpus Fortunei at the moment. Since I'm ordering online, I don't know exactly how the plant will look, but I have 2 options available and I was wondering what you might think.

Both palms are around 4-6'.

What would you get? A smaller palm with a larger root ball? (Assuming it fills up the container it comes in) or a taller palm with around 10 inches more trunk but a smaller root ball?

Thanks,

Alex

If the roots have started to fill up the container I would choose the shorter one. 

• Like 1

I would add that a healthy root ball is crucial with trunking Trachies. It's hard to say but cheap Trachies with tall trunks and small root balls often tend to not make it after planting out.

Personally, I won't order on-line. I like to make a decision after physically seeing and evaluating the health of a palm.