• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix Tuckeri?

D. Morrowii

Is this A tuckeri? This particular palm grew so much faster and more robust than the other seedlings I had so it was the first I planted it out. It looks very different from all the other ones but it may just be a maturity thing. Anyway I notice it doesnt have any green on the trunk after a leaf base comes off so Im wondering if this is something else or just the environment?

98F0751F-D835-4F1B-AAB6-A65AC157D3C6.jpeg

444F9BEB-2710-4ACD-819C-646B0EB8DB64.jpeg

270479CC-2351-4CD4-80DF-062B8474B952.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

It looks like A.Tuckeri to me. There is variation in this subspecies like all Archontophoenix to the point where “type” kinda” becomes way too ambiguous. Partly because of all the hybridization that occurs.

I have one in my current garden which looks like yours. I had 3 in my previous garden. I can say they vary in color( but so do maxima, Alexandrae). My current palm shows a grassy green color with some tormentum as the old bases fall off similar to your photo. I have also had one that had pale yellow at the internodes with a purplish crown shaft after new leaf bases fell off. So far I have not any that can be deep green as some of my maxima are but that does not mean there aren’t some that can be based on photos I’ve seen on PT and Palmpedia.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is mine. Super fast grower. Outgrows Cunninghamiana and Alexandrae. Grows faster than most of my Maximas aside from one or two. 
What I will say is Tuckeri seems to have to most bulbous base vs the others. Very round compared to Maxima or Alexandrae. All have silver undersides to the leaves. Some say Maxima has a dull grey vs silver compared to others but I’ve owned in total at least 10 or more and have yet to have encountered this myself. All the ones I’ve had are silver on the undersides.

IMG_1667.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@D. Morrowii, I agree with @James B and your opinion. Looks like Tuckeri to me as well. I have noticed the same as James regarding the bulbous base & silver undersides. Here’s a picture of one of my Tuckeri that started trunking recently. It’s only going to get fatter I’m sure. 

-dale 

IMG_6458.thumb.jpeg.8b78af69372785a70225dbd357075ebd.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Here are two pics of the same palm from February when I purchased it. Not knowing we would get 6” of snow on Feb 25th.

When purchased it was much smaller than the Alexandrae next to it. It has since blown it away and is now the taller palm. 

IMG_1669.png

IMG_1670.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@James B Thanks for the responses. I just cant tell these things apart from each other. There doesn't seem to be many defining traits that I can use to make a confident call. There are several in the area around my neighborhood but they all look pretty similar. 

• Like 1

Dales has the color I prefer on Archontophoenix which that dark emerald. His shows that Tuckeri can also have that color trait as well. Great looking palm! 

3 minutes ago, Billeb said:

@D. Morrowii, I agree with @James B and your opinion. Looks like Tuckeri to me as well. I have noticed the same as James regarding the bulbous base & silver undersides. Here’s a picture of one of my Tuckeri that started trunking recently. It’s only going to get fatter I’m sure. 

-dale 

IMG_6458.thumb.jpeg.8b78af69372785a70225dbd357075ebd.jpeg

Dale, nice looking palm you have there. The thing is I don't get any hint of that trunk coloring like yours and James show. Thats what actually started me questioning it. 

2 minutes ago, D. Morrowii said:

@James B Thanks for the responses. I just cant tell these things apart from each other. There doesn't seem to be many defining traits that I can use to make a confident call. There are several in the area around my neighborhood but they all look pretty similar. 

Agreed. Ultimately the only way to truly tell is when the palm is mature and producing viable seed. Tuckeri produce huge seeds that look like giant version of A.Maxima. Alexandrae produce the smallest most round seeds, Maxima are slightly larger and more ovoid.  Tuckeri bigger still but also ovoid. Myolensis are the most unique they are almost cigar shaped as they are the most conic ovoid of the bunch and considerably larger than Maxima or Alexandrae. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D. Morrowii said:

Dale, nice looking palm you have there. The thing is I don't get any hint of that trunk coloring like yours and James show. Thats what actually started me questioning it. 

So what I’ve noticed in not all but a large percentage of all Archonphoenix is that the younger they are the more tormentum they can have on the exposed internodes as a leaf base falls off. Perhaps this is an evolutionary trait to protect the newly exposed palm to direct sunlight as it is still young and vulnerable. As the palm matures you should see less and less tormentum until all in the Alexandrae complex will eventually show a clean smooth green trunk .

• Like 1