• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Most Beautiful Dypsis Palm of All

Patrick Palms

Which Dypsis Palm do you regard as the best looking ?

Mealy Bug

Triangle 

Pembana 

Lanceolata

Stumpy 

Orange Crush 

Leptocheilos 

Any Other ? 

For me its the Orange Crush but its a slow slow grower

When well-grown, Chrysalidocarpus (Dypsis) lanceolata

Love the ones that can grow well here, but lanceolata was my pick of the litter when I first saw it.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

54 minutes ago, Patrick Palms said:

Which Dypsis Palm do you regard as the best looking ?

Mealy Bug

Triangle 

Pembana 

Lanceolata

Stumpy 

Orange Crush 

Leptocheilos 

Any Other ? 

For me its the Orange Crush but its a slow slow grower

For me Blue decipens takes the cake in my book followed by mijoroanus and canaliculata 

• Like 3

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

16 minutes ago, JohnStraz said:

It is the one that you can grows best in your climate

Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus?

20231007-BH3I2631.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Dypsis pumilla

• Like 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ufff that's a tough one. Way too many to list. The Hawaiian grown Dypsis "black stem" is pretty mind blowing. For this area I really like Dypsis ambositrae, onilahensis, lanceolata, saintelucei, and the hybrids are always a favorite.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

When well-grown, Chrysalidocarpus (Dypsis) lanceolata

Love the ones that can grow well here, but lanceolata was my pick of the litter when I first saw it.

My C lanceolata has been in the ground for 18 years.  So tall I can't really see the fronds very well w/out a creak in my neck.  LOL 

Dypsis lanceolata 20191102_170254.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

I got to agree with @Josh-O a bit on this one.  My top 3 pure Dypsis non-Hybrid are below but island grown not state side. Huge difference. 

-Dypsis ovobontsira

-Dypsis Mijoroanus

-Dypsis Pilulifera

-dale

Probably either D rosea or D marojejyi if we’re talking those that remain as Dypsis. If we include Chrysalidocarpus, there’s too many to choose from. Weeping onilahensis has always been a favourite, but pumilus would be right up there too. 

• Like 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

This is a hybrid that is rosea cross with ???. It is really colorful and fast growing 

image.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

Boy, that’s a tough ask! My all time favorite Madagascar palm is by far, Lemurophoenix, but as far as Crysalidocarpus, (Dypsis), I’m currently amazed by C. hovomantsina. As it matures, it’s becoming a magnificent palm particularly when it drops a leaf sheath. After sulking silently for awhile, it lost a sheath in mid September and then another yesterday. What a sight.

Tim

IMG_4652.jpeg

IMG_4655.jpeg

IMG_4657.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

6 hours ago, realarch said:

Boy, that’s a tough ask! My all time favorite Madagascar palm is by far, Lemurophoenix, but as far as Crysalidocarpus, (Dypsis), I’m currently amazed by C. hovomantsina. As it matures, it’s becoming a magnificent palm particularly when it drops a leaf sheath. After sulking silently for awhile, it lost a sheath in mid September and then another yesterday. What a sight.

Tim

IMG_4652.jpeg

IMG_4655.jpeg

IMG_4657.jpeg

Yeah I don’t blame you at all

• Upvote 1

Sigh… Which of your children do you love most? The unanswerable question!

True, we are discussing palms, and narrowing the field to Dypsis/Chrysalidocarpus, but even then I can’t choose just one. 
Small Dypsis: a true Dypsis, pachyramea. It’s grown to knee high and produces flower spikes. Difficult even in Hawaii, this is the best of my four:

IMG_4668.thumb.jpeg.2f8edccffa06897173307434b4a474a4.jpeg

IMG_4669.thumb.jpeg.64cc2811b39015cd7b5d36f6efd7c02b.jpeg

Medium: Chrysalidocarpus onilahensis, weeping form,

IMG_4648.thumb.jpeg.f4653698b231f4520dd9660e31fa604a.jpeg

Large: Chysalidocarpus canaliculatus.

IMG_4647.thumb.jpeg.5c6cdea81908746d07b26442d84cc016.jpeg

The Unknown, some kine Chrysalidocarpus. It’s been in the ground since roughly 2014 and is finally kicking in, gonna be a “Big Dypsis,” no doubt  Beautiful deep green leaves  nice height already without any trunk  

IMG_4662.thumb.jpeg.1ce3e5b243d147b8cad6af9d66a91d40.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim beautiful plants. Do you have a pic of the last palm you posted when it was first planted? Kinda has a lemur look to it.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

11 hours ago, ellidro said:

Kim beautiful plants. Do you have a pic of the last palm you posted when it was first planted? Kinda has a lemur look to it.

Hi Nick. I looked up the background on it. Purchased as a 3-gal. from Floribunda early January 2019 and planted later that month. At the time Jeff said it was a Dypsis but wasn’t sure what it was. When I got it home I noticed Suchin had written ‘Tsaravoasira’ on the tag, but I couldn’t count on that being accurate. But maybe it is. These photos are from August 2019. The palm stayed small for a long time and it didn’t help that the gardener sometimes nicked the base of a leaf stem with the weed whacker.  It might be 2 ft. tall in these photos, at best. Now about 10 ft.
IMG_9805.thumb.jpeg.7a783db2da49beeba784eb22e30b625f.jpeg

IMG_9778.thumb.jpeg.e35e12873a6c43a2c1a5001cbc7f5982.jpeg

IMG_9777.thumb.jpeg.d48c9b925b4490845e8cad9ece4ab8df.jpeg

• Like 2

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim, unanswerable question indeed! Your garden is looking fantastic especially the photos of specimens I don’t have here in my garden. It’s all good, what I don’t have I will enjoy what others have growing.

Looks like you are back on island and in your ‘Happy Place.’ Because of the dry last couple of months, have you noticed significant frond drop, even among the large Crysalidocarpus? Been quite the unveiling up here in Hilo.

Keep the pictures coming.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hi Tim! Yesterday I spent several hours hauling downed fronds to the compost heap (now renamed the "Pig Trough" due to regular nightly visits from porkers). Since they always pile up while I'm gone, I can't really say if it was an extraordinary amount, but my 2 largest hovomantsina are showing that fabulous white from recently dropped fronds. The challenge for me is the C. canaliculatus fronds that have to be sawed in 3 pieces so I can manage them, and even then, the crownshaft is a beast to haul away. No need to visit the gym, I get my weight training right here. I will say the grass and palms look nice and green, so maybe the rain has been just enough?

@Patrick Palms Apologies for wandering off-topic! Of those you mentioned, I'm in the orange crush camp too!

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Metallica might be my favorite if that is a real thing. I've always loved triangles, but my favorite might be leucomallus.

20231011_122655.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

One favorite is impossible for me lol.  The diversity of the plants, and responses here, shows just how cool this genus is.  Maybe I will have one some day once I have grown mine for a while.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 6:25 AM, Kim said:

Hi Nick. I looked up the background on it. Purchased as a 3-gal. from Floribunda early January 2019 and planted later that month. At the time Jeff said it was a Dypsis but wasn’t sure what it was. When I got it home I noticed Suchin had written ‘Tsaravoasira’ on the tag, but I couldn’t count on that being accurate. But maybe it is. These photos are from August 2019. The palm stayed small for a long time and it didn’t help that the gardener sometimes nicked the base of a leaf stem with the weed whacker.  It might be 2 ft. tall in these photos, at best. Now about 10 ft.
IMG_9805.thumb.jpeg.7a783db2da49beeba784eb22e30b625f.jpeg

IMG_9778.thumb.jpeg.e35e12873a6c43a2c1a5001cbc7f5982.jpeg

IMG_9777.thumb.jpeg.d48c9b925b4490845e8cad9ece4ab8df.jpeg

Hey Kim, I bought one of these from Floribunda when I moved here in 2017. Same Tsaravoasira label as yours. Looked exactly the same as yours when small. Here it is now, I’m thinking it’s Robusta? 

F6E1C93E-FF7C-4098-9A39-B0D2762BB70B.thumb.jpeg.f5fa3ece59f9b28a77419ed6828ee103.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

It’s hard to pick a favorite Dypsis / Chrysalidocarpus from me, this is my favorite genus. I’ve been thankful to get my hands on some nice hybrids that are among my favorites. 
Robusta x Lanceolata

A82A2BB3-841A-44AE-94B7-68C820304284.thumb.jpeg.f8e0c6736d7f33f6ec18ea55f1bfd21f.jpeg

Prestoniana Hybrid (Madagascariensis?)

487F0BE9-5B32-4490-967C-9227563653EA.thumb.jpeg.213715ffb32ce9e37f3a4d1ed2d11c2a.jpeg

Mystery hybrid:

B31A25D6-E47A-4A05-AB23-C8CD2FA194B6.thumb.jpeg.382d1afb5ec9b95176358f5e97e2d628.jpeg

• Like 17

9 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Hey Kim, I bought one of these from Floribunda when I moved here in 2017. Same Tsaravoasira label as yours. Looked exactly the same as yours when small. Here it is now, I’m thinking it’s Robusta? 

F6E1C93E-FF7C-4098-9A39-B0D2762BB70B.thumb.jpeg.f5fa3ece59f9b28a77419ed6828ee103.jpeg

Hi Jason, thanks for that information! Wow, yours looks amazing! I would be very happy with a Robusta! 

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

9 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Robusta x Lanceolata

A82A2BB3-841A-44AE-94B7-68C820304284.thumb.jpeg.f8e0c6736d7f33f6ec18ea55f1bfd21f.jpeg

Damn….that tree is amazing. Hard to beat that mixture. It’s got my vote. 

-dale 

• Like 6

Robuster is big palm like the Stumpy. I guess not good for small gardens as needs alot of space ?  

Well, a different day another favorite. These Crysalidocarpus carlsmithii have reached another zone, looking more handsome by the day.

Tim

IMG_4793.jpeg

IMG_4794.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 9:15 PM, Hilo Jason said:

It’s hard to pick a favorite Dypsis / Chrysalidocarpus from me, this is my favorite genus. I’ve been thankful to get my hands on some nice hybrids that are among my favorites. 
Robusta x Lanceolata

Thank you for the tours today, sent my photo of this to Jeff as my “wow” photo from your updated gardens, this was immediate top 5 for me and will have an even crazier paradise backdrop soon, spectacular and inspiring

IMG_4852.thumb.jpeg.9f04d7d27fd88b90bdea5a55d51a2605.jpeg

Edited by knell
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, knell said:

Thank you for the tours today, sent my photo of this to Jeff as my “wow” photo from your updated gardens, this was immediate top 5 for me and will have an even crazier paradise backdrop soon, spectacular and inspiring

IMG_4852.thumb.jpeg.9f04d7d27fd88b90bdea5a55d51a2605.jpeg

Always great having you stop by for a visit! 

Hybrids are fantastic just hard to come by!!! I’m assuming the hybrids came from Jeff beings he’s not a hybrid person how do you know what the hybrids are?

16 minutes ago, 96720 said:

Hybrids are fantastic just hard to come by!!! I’m assuming the hybrids came from Jeff beings he’s not a hybrid person how do you know what the hybrids are?

JD will have to confirm that this one is from Jeff but aside from the visual similarities there is a lanceolata about 25 paces from the seeding original robusta, the only other Dypsis/Chry that is nearby from that era is lastelliana

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, knell said:

JD will have to confirm that this one is from Jeff but aside from the visual similarities there is a lanceolata about 25 paces from the seeding original robusta, the only other Dypsis/Chry that is nearby from that era is lastelliana

Correct, this came from Jeff and Suchin. Su picked it out when it was a 4” plant because she could see the differences in it already. I believe she mentioned it probably crossed with Lanceolata due to the location in the garden. As it’s grown it definitely shows Lanceolata traits so I’d say that’s accurate. Or as good of a guess as we’ll ever get. I have another hybrid believed to be the same Robusta x Lanceolata that has stayed solitary. So plenty of variation in different hybrids as they take on different traits from the 2 parent plants. 

• Like 2