• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill palm exposed roots?

ckh1980

I recently noticed some exposed roots and was concerned something was wrong. I did a little googling and I read that it is normal, but I wanted to run it by the experts here as well. I have also since removed the rocks in the pic. I was just experimenting with them.

20231014_100209.jpg

20231014_100220.jpg

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, ckh1980 said:

...I have also since removed the rocks in the pic. I was just experimenting with them.

What was involved with this experiment? Also, if you haven't already, back fill the voids left by removing the rocks. Your palm looks great.

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Thank you. I do live in SE VA zone 8a so we have fairly mild winters. Sometimes it will flirt with freezing temps. The interesting thing about that video is the advice is contrary to another one I watched. In the vid I saw, the guy said most people pile up dirt and end up killing the tree.

32 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

What was involved with this experiment? Also, if you haven't already, back fill the voids left by removing the rocks. Your palm looks great.

I was going to ring the tree with larger stones and use 3-4" chalet in the rest of the bed. I'm trying to lower some of the maintenance in the flower beds as I have quite a few. With this root development, I'm not sure if I should proceed with the rocks or not. I did exactly as you suggested with some mulch near by. 

Thanks for the compliment.

Edited by ckh1980
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ckh1980 said:

Thank you. I do live in SE VA zone 8a so we have fairly mild winters. Sometimes it will flirt with freezing temps. The interesting thing about that video is the advice is contrary to another one I watched. In the vid I saw, the guy said most people pile up dirt and end up killing the tree.

Well you had a 13F last year on Norfolk.  Can you provide the link to the video?

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

57 minutes ago, ckh1980 said:

It seems to say put dirt over the roots just not a foot of dirt?  And he is dealing with more tropical palms in Houston with roots a foot out of the ground.  My advice is to cover with dirt in your area up to the top of the root initiation zone.  Your roots are already brown from last winters cold if you look closely unlike the white roots in the video I showed you.  You should also push on the palm trunk and make sure it doesn't wobble slightly and is firmly rooted.  Enough rotting of the roots will cause the palm to become unstable and you run risk of losing palm. 

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Allen said:

It seems to say put dirt over the roots just not a foot of dirt?  And he is dealing with more tropical palms in Houston with roots a foot out of the ground.  My advice is to cover with dirt in your area up to the top of the root initiation zone.  Your roots are already brown from last winters cold if you look closely unlike the white roots in the video I showed you.  You should also push on the palm trunk and make sure it doesn't wobble slightly and is firmly rooted.  Enough rotting of the roots will cause the palm to become unstable and you run risk of losing palm. 

That makes sense. Top soil and mulch or just mulch? I thought I had planted it too low already so maybe I can taper around the base with the additional dirt.

Also, if I do add rock, would it be wise to leave a ring of mulch around the base of the tree? Many of my neighbors have just used rock right up to the tree, but there was discussion I read on here not to do that.

28 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

@ckh1980 completely normal

20231014_142911.thumb.jpg.1e219536d4c6a86d59a837bcbb767b8c.jpg

This photo above is a great example of how this works.  And yes Dave is correct in saying that it is natural for palms to do this.  However roots like this exposed to cold temps may die.  The roots on the left in Dave's photo are "root pruned" because they can't reach the soil and the ones on the right are reaching the soil.  More roots = a healthier palm.  My roots are mulched in winter or covered with more dirt and look like this

thumbnail_IMG_4699.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4697.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4696.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks a lot guys. I was starting to worry there was something wrong and also concerned about the yellow tips. I'll add some mulch to the base to give it a little extra protection. 

• Like 1

Interesting thing about plants palms in particular, they love attention and care.  Palms initiate new roots around the perimeter at the base of the trunk, not from the bottom or under the stump.  Adding or placing new good rich soil around the base of a palm encourages new roots and the palm will grow but it won't stop just there, the palm will beg for more soil by sending out new roots at base of the trunk.  In a way Palms are like the plant from "The Little Shop of Horrors", begging give me more, give me more. 

• Like 1