• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea Metallica male pollen observation right or wrong

happypalms

While hand pollinating my chameadorea adscedans I have my chamaedorea Metallica flowering the same time I have been keeping a Close eye on the male flowers of the Metallica I squeezed the male flowers in between my fingers and a red sticky substance I presume was pollen but not to sure I have not been getting seeds of my Metallica so in time i will know if I have been successful in pollinating them I will continue to do so until iam confident that the flowering process has finished but it’s just an observation iam trying to do to see if it’s successful I have read Metallica have sticky pollen 

IMG_1039.jpeg

IMG_1028.jpeg

IMG_1025.jpeg

IMG_1037.jpeg

IMG_1040.jpeg

IMG_1041.jpeg

IMG_1027.jpeg

• Like 4

My Chamaedorias flower on and off all year, all seasons but I have still never really studied pollination, so I am of no use to you on this one. C. metallica was one of the first palms I ever owned. They used to be sold in supermarkets all over Melbourne but now they are never seen and nobody sells them either. They are such a stunning little house plants or statement piece in a small garden, I am surprised their popularity faded like it did.  I had to leave all of mine when I moved house,  they had been in the ground for many years and over 3 metres tall, so I am wishing you success in getting viable seeds.  I will be first in line for some babies.  I have repotted the last batch of youngsters from you, put them in the shade house and they are thriving  I am bestowing the Peachy Seal of Recommendation on Happypalms Inc, Pty Ltd.

Peachy 

Edited by peachy
Forgot something

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Palmtreesforpleasure on this forum is an expert on all things Chamaedoria so it might be worth sending him a message for info about pollinating metallicas

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

6 hours ago, peachy said:

Palmtreesforpleasure on this forum is an expert on all things Chamaedoria so it might be worth sending him a message for info about pollinating metallicas

Peachy

Tagging Colin @palmtreesforpleasure

Personally I’m no expert on Chamaedorea pollination. I think C metallica is known to be one of the ‘sticky pollen’ species but I’ll let the experts confirm. From a quick look at the phylogenetic chart it is from the Eleutheropetalum tribe along with C ernesti-augustii and a few others. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

9 hours ago, peachy said:

My Chamaedorias flower on and off all year, all seasons but I have still never really studied pollination, so I am of no use to you on this one. C. metallica was one of the first palms I ever owned. They used to be sold in supermarkets all over Melbourne but now they are never seen and nobody sells them either. They are such a stunning little house plants or statement piece in a small garden, I am surprised their popularity faded like it did.  I had to leave all of mine when I moved house,  they had been in the ground for many years and over 3 metres tall, so I am wishing you success in getting viable seeds.  I will be first in line for some babies.  I have repotted the last batch of youngsters from you, put them in the shade house and they are thriving  I am bestowing the Peachy Seal of Recommendation on Happypalms Inc, Pty Ltd.

Peachy 

H8 peachy chamaedorea are one of the easiest palms to get to flower it’s the pollination part that’s a doozy my radicalis and plumosa set seed without any help yet my adscedans do get the odd seed now and then without any help but if I hand pollinate I get around 500 seeds I have 50 mature adscedans roughly 25 male and 25 females as iam pollinating the adscedans I continually collect fresh pollen of randaom males throughout my garden yet never any Metallica seeds so this is my first year at trying to pollinate them so time will tell if my self taught horticulture skills are worthy of the school of hard knocks horticultural diploma glad to hear your palms are going well I just put in 1000 kerriodoxa seeds they are germinating now and thanks for feed back on my little precious well loved palms I grow palms for the love of them and yes I will reserve you some Metallica babies if iam successful you used to see Metallica palms a lot but not anymore I even purchased 1000 seeds of rich trapnell back in days gone bye wish I had a thousand of them now 

• Upvote 1

On 10/22/2023 at 12:11 PM, happypalms said:

While hand pollinating my chameadorea adscedans I have my chamaedorea Metallica flowering the same time I have been keeping a Close eye on the male flowers of the Metallica I squeezed the male flowers in between my fingers and a red sticky substance I presume was pollen but not to sure I have not been getting seeds of my Metallica so in time i will know if I have been successful in pollinating them I will continue to do so until iam confident that the flowering process has finished but it’s just an observation iam trying to do to see if it’s successful I have read Metallica have sticky pollen 

IMG_1039.jpeg

IMG_1028.jpeg

IMG_1025.jpeg

IMG_1037.jpeg

IMG_1040.jpeg

IMG_1041.jpeg

IMG_1027.jpeg

I remember me playing with the brush and pollinating metallica,  but, sticky or not, the pollen was white

6 hours ago, Tomas said:

I remember me playing with the brush and pollinating metallica,  but, sticky or not, the pollen was white

Thanks Tomas I shall be looking into the pollination a bit closer