• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post Your Monstera deliciosa from Fruit Production to Rare Collection or Just Admire this Amazing Beautiful Plant.

WonderKeeper

Hello All, Is anyone growing Monstera deliciosa for fruit or collecting sports varieties ? Please share your growing experience of this plant.  Thank You. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Here’s my baby ‘Thai Constellation’ Monstera, I’ll get this in the ground in the spring of next year. 
IMG_3176.thumb.jpeg.25d305b499c0f94e2c3c8ca710664312.jpeg

• Like 4

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

5 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Aquí está mi bebé Monstera 'Thai Constellation'. Lo plantaré en el suelo en la primavera del próximo año. 

Necesito una de esas 😍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Navarro said:

Necesito una de esas 😍

¡Son espectaculares! Pero tal vez difícil encontrar o quizás caro, al menos aquí, no sé para España. 

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

On 10/30/2023 at 4:22 PM, MikeB said:

I get tasty fruit every year.  It's a great looking climber with aerial roots too.

0201210855a.jpg

Congratulations. A mazing plant to grow for fruits as well beautiful to look at in the garden. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Here’s my baby ‘Thai Constellation’ Monstera, I’ll get this in the ground in the spring of next year. 

Beautiful plant. This one is a legend variegated Monstera deliciosa that people are talking about in aroid world.  I did research on this plant from reliable information out there as well growing both sport and the one from tissue cultured side by side to study them.  Most of the time little plants were came from tissue cultured. They may need some time to adjust to natural environment. Your plant looks happy with very nice variegation.  Wish it grows well in your outdoor environment.  Amazing plant when they mature. 

20221222_125826 (2).jpg

• Like 4

Monstera glacier/  seed grown Monstera deliciosa albo variegata. 

20220908_185409.jpg

• Like 4

Harvested fruit from green form Monstera borsigiana . 

Taste Test Monstera Borsigiana Fruit Vs Monstera Deliciosa Fruit.

20231010_124238.jpg

• Like 4

None of mine have ripe fruit at this time but there are plenty of fruit for later in fall or winter. 

20231104_090756.jpg

20231104_090834.jpg

20231104_090906.jpg

20231104_090956.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Here is mine going up a trunk of a king palm.  I did pick a fruit a couple of weeks ago and have one more for later on this year.

20231102_104046.jpg

20231102_104034.jpg

• Like 6

Tracy,   Look at plant with 3 large fruits , there are  marked that it had fruits more than 2 times before . Did you eat any of those yet and how was the taste ?

Jubaea,  How was the fruit taste ?

I only tried a few small pieces and I thought that they tasted ok.  I have not tried fruits from other plants before so I don't have much to compare it to.

On 11/9/2023 at 1:25 PM, Jubaea said:

I only tried a few small pieces and I thought that they tasted ok.  I have not tried fruits from other plants before so I don't have much to compare it to.

The one you posted is a Monstera borsigiana albo variegata, some people also call it small form  albo variegata .  I have a plant that is producing fruits, but not yet to taste test this variety.  Plese let us know "tasted ok " do you mean it flavorful that something you would enjoy eating, or it is similar taste to what I described in video taste tested   Monstera borsigiana green form? No strong fragrance, banana texture with not much sweetness to it, bland and itchy after taste. 

• Like 1

metalfan,

It is nice to see you can grow Monstera dubia outdoor.  I tried to grow it outdoor here in San Jose, but so far it does not like the weather here.  Monstera dubia is one of my favorite shingling forms monstera. This plant is very sensitive to growing environment, that it only producing juvenile leaf if requirement does not meet.  We just grow it for ornamental purposes.

The plant in plastic bag photo look very familiar.  I have seen it somewhere when seller tried to sell it as a tissue cultured " Monstera mint/ Monstera white monster" . Are you sure it is Monstera lechleriana albo variegata ?    This is my Monstera lechleriana albo variegata still a young plant. There are photos of mature leaf on wed search .Look similar to a variegated banana leaf with holes. Very cool monstera. 

20210725_104626.jpg

• Like 1

This used to be a full sized very large plant. In 2010 we suffered a debilitating 10-11 day freeze where the temps were 20F night/45F day. During that time my greenhouse heater failed. This monstera was frozen. I thought it was dead. Years later, (2017) while cleaning up the greenhouse, I found a single small piece of meristem buried under a lot of crap where this used to grow. I restarted it, and its taken it another 7 years to get to this.

EC170EFC-1DF3-4BF3-B8C0-D4334E2517DD_1_201_a.heic 118BC8FC-F441-41DC-98BF-8A9D6206B8A1.heic

• Like 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Just now, Jubaea said:

20231112_160607.jpg

20231112_160813.jpg

20231113_160556.jpg

I finally had a chance to post some more pictures.  The first is a green sport from my previously posted variegated plant.  The leaves seem to be larger on this one than variegated ones and certainly much larger than all white leaves that I sometimes get.  The second is a fruit that should ripen sometime this year if we get enough heat.  Third is a picture of some seed grown plants from the previously posted variegated plant, one showing what looks like a bit of variegation.   As far as the fruit taste I have only had a few small pieces and only fruit from this plant.  I thought the flavor was interesting but I grow the for their ornamental value and can't say that I plan on eating much of the fruit in the future.  

4 hours ago, WonderKeeper said:

How does this plant have enough energy to grow?  You must keep it in a high humidity environment.  All of my plants with white leaves grown outdoors get brown tips and start dying back.

Jubaea it survives very well because it has enough green tissue running through it to support the white tissue I suppose. The white tips and browning are not exclusive to low humidity environments. My greenhouse here in the lower rung of hell is 70-100% humidity year round. The sectorial white variegation of all my variegated aroids (monsteras, philodendrons, syngoniums etc) brown and dry. Some people claim that using Silicon will strengthen and support the white parts, but these are houseplant folks so I am not sure I grow the same way as they do. I have mint ALocasia gageana that never browns

B8AE4AC4-336E-4AAA-98F8-1F5F8F3AC7BD_1_201_a.heic

Edited by metalfan
  • Like 2

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Jubaea,

I am growing it in a normal room without a humidifier or any special set up like a well-built greenhouse.  It is growing side by side with my other seed grown variegated Monstera deliciosa. Its growing rate somewhat about the same with other plants in the room.  This is a sport came from mother plant Monstera mint/NOID which it produces new leaf with white variegated. That same leaf will generate some % of its own chlorophyll as it aged.  You can see the green pigment in some of those older leaves. 

21+ years of my research and counting, I know Monstera deliciosa and Monstera borsigiana are two different varieties. This are based on its growth as well its fruit taste. Most of the time I just grow Monstera borsigiana just for ornamental. I have not tried the white variegated Monstera borsigiana yet, so that why I asked more detail about your plant fruit taste. This way we can learn all about these wonderful plants. I have a plant that has mature fruit may be ready late Winter or next Spring that I can try it out. Both varieties fruit ripen section by section which you do not need to eat a lot to know what it tastes like. Getting more details from different growers is a great way to understand these amazing plants. Thanks, you and other growers for sharing information.   Happy Thanksgiving to All of You. 

\

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just nibbling on this Monstera deliciosa between guava and banana from the garden in January.   Creamy texture similar to cooked tapioca.   Flavors of banana, pineapple combination with other flavors I can't pinpoint. 

20240107_145141.jpg

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I myself have 'got' the whole thing re variagated monsterias... simply of no interest to me other than 'yeah ok, something a bit different.....'
But then I see someone on a local FB Garedening page advertising some for sale between $AU150 and $AU2,500..... 
Seriously ??  gotta be imbibing too much magic mushrooms.... lol !

Monsterias thrive in my climate ( Darwin, AU @ 12.4*S ). My growing advice here is plant and forget, let 'em naruralise and do their own thing... and more light than more shade... but not too much burning heat of the afternoon type sun.
This young one thriving on my front verandah with lots of sunlight until noon.
OSxm9LW.jpg

• Like 3

Tracy, nice to have fruit in Winter. Most of other people and my plants are out of season. My plants are flowering at this time for next year fruits harvest. Thanks for feedback on the fruit taste. 

greysrigging, Thanks for information. Nice to have warm weather to grow tropical plants. The golden Pothos looks very happy on the background wall there.  My place not that tropical . The cold weather can kill the Pothos as well other sensitive Philodendron.  Yea some of the plant can be very costly to get due to rarity and demand. I like to grow both variegated and the green form as well. With variegated form you can see the colors and patterns change from leaf to leaf as well from plant to plant like a work of living art. The green form on Monstera look amazing as well.   Are you growing Monstera for ornamental, for fruit production or both?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

• Like 1