• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x Syagrus? Cocoid hybrid

Brad Mondel

My guess is either BxJ or JxB. Since I grow 2 JxQ from P. Shaffer, I can see that the traits of that hybrid are different from yours. Their leaves are not curved, and the leaflets are thinner and not very stiff.

Hi 82°, Lo 52°

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

2 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

My guess is either BxJ or JxB. Since I grow 2 JxQ from P. Shaffer, I can see that the traits of that hybrid are different from yours. Their leaves are not curved, and the leaflets are thinner and not very stiff.

Hi 82°, Lo 52°

Thanks for the reply!

I was considering that as  a possibility also. Whatever it is, I love it!

Edited by Brad Mondel
  • Like 2

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Will you put it in the ground?

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

2 hours ago, awkonradi said:

Will you put it in the ground?

I will be keeping it in a pot for a little while. 

I think it is a standard BxS mule palm. The individual hybrids produced are very variable in looks from heavy queen to heavy Butia,and everything in-between.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

On 11/8/2023 at 2:04 PM, Brad Mondel said:

What do you think it is? 

What's the background or where you got it ? That alone will help us figure out what the possibilities. As @aztropicsaid mules are so variable , beautiful palm for sure. I definitely see characteristics of both Jubaea and Syagrus and im hopeful for you haha. It also looks alot like my JxB but with more stretched fronds from being shade grown. It looks like it's ready to go in the ground now but don't blame you for waiting till spring tho. Keep us all updated for sure. 

T J 

• Like 2

T J 

7 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Any signs of hooks on the leaflets?gorgeous freaking palm whatever it is . 

Thanks! And no hooks, maybe it is just a mule palm but that's OK. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What's the background or where you got it ? That alone will help us figure out what the possibilities. As @aztropicsaid mules are so variable , beautiful palm for sure. I definitely see characteristics of both Jubaea and Syagrus and im hopeful for you haha. It also looks alot like my JxB but with more stretched fronds from being shade grown. It looks like it's ready to go in the ground now but don't blame you for waiting till spring tho. Keep us all updated for sure. 

T J 

I got it at a local nursery and they get their shipments from California. It was the only one left and it was labeled a mule palm. 

8 hours ago, aztropic said:

I think it is a standard BxS mule palm. The individual hybrids produced are very variable in looks from heavy queen to heavy Butia,and everything in-between.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

You are probably right but I've never seen such a beautiful mule. Perhaps I just got lucky with the genetic mix!

• Like 2

On 11/8/2023 at 1:11 PM, Brad Mondel said:

20231108_131017.thumb.jpg.a1330af415d412f65ad4b224e89f863e.jpg20231108_130841(0).thumb.jpg.f712acdec42f767d5547edd626b22ab3.jpg

Tonight while reading this post (below), I remembered your question on the ID of your palm.

Here's the new post (end of thread):

Here's the image that (to me) looks like yours (on the right):

IMG_8475.jpeg

Hi 86°, Lo 56°

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Like 3

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

3 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

Tonight while reading this post (below), I remembered your question on the ID of your palm.

Here's the new post (end of thread):

Here's the image that (to me) looks like yours (on the right):

IMG_8475.jpeg

Hi 86°, Lo 56°

It definitely looks similar. My palm looks nothing like any regular mule I've seen. Especially in person. 

On 11/11/2023 at 2:43 PM, Brad Mondel said:

You are probably right but I've never seen such a beautiful mule. Perhaps I just got lucky with the genetic mix!

Very unlikely that a JxS ends up in stock that is passed around.  Ive seen a lot of mules that size, none that beautiful.  The closest one to yours was a butia yatay x Syagrus mule from patrick but even it didnt look this good.  Plant it if you have space as it will develop faster into the tree it will be.   Jubaea x butias generally have hooks at the leaf tips as a positive ID feature Both BxJ or JxB seem to have hooks in the leaf tips at a certain age(15 gallon size) which they do grow out of.  It has the dark green of a syagrus but those planar evenly spaced erect leaves are not syagrus sourced.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I also had a couple jubutiagrus that didnt come close to looking that good or have those upright v planar deep green leaves.  And yes remember that as AZtropic said siblings of F1 hybrids siblings are not uniform in traits.  I had a mult that was a weeping plumose syagrus version and saw many others at a farm that had various stem curvatures and leaflet arrangements, many showing some plumosity like a syagrus.  Even if you do get or that is a JxS it may not look like others you have seen as an adult.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

13 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Very unlikely that a JxS ends up in stock that is passed around.  Ive seen a lot of mules that size, none that beautiful.  The closest one to yours was a butia yatay x Syagrus mule from patrick but even it didnt look this good.  Plant it if you have space as it will develop faster into the tree it will be.   Jubaea x butias generally have hooks at the leaf tips as a positive ID feature Both BxJ or JxB seem to have hooks in the leaf tips at a certain age(15 gallon size) which they do grow out of.  It has the dark green of a syagrus but those planar evenly spaced erect leaves are not syagrus sourced.

I think this is the most coconut - like hybrid I've ever seen and definitely the most beautiful. I can't wait to see what it becomes as it grows larger.  

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 2:43 AM, Brad Mondel said:

I think this is the most coconut - like hybrid

How much did this bad boy set you back ? 

T J 

T J 

On 11/22/2023 at 6:42 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

How much did this bad boy set you back ? 

T J 

$300

But I had to have it!

Edited by Brad Mondel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 96720 said:

That’s about the going price for a 15 gal did you get it at a BB store?

I got it at a nursery here in Arizona, but the BB stores do carry them here. None like this one though! 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, RJ said:

Agree with @Tom in Tucson, looks like a bxj or jxb. I’d lean bxj but just a hunch. Great looking palm though. 

Looks like you’re no longer with us in SC?

Thanks for the input, I can't wait to see what it becomes as it grows. 

Yes , I moved back out west from SC.