• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Selling an inherited palm nursery

Skwilly

Hope you all are have a great day! I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes.

My mother's fiance is giving me the task of selling his entire nursery of palm trees. I do not have a exact count but I know there are hundreds of them and there are at least 3 different species. They are all in 2' boxes and are all in good shape and are maintained and cared for regularly. I know he cannot have individual homeowner/small buyers looking to just get a few visiting his property due to personal time and health reasons. Also the property is at the top of a mountain. 

I will be taking inventory and inspecting the entire property in the next few days when I have time and will have all the specifics soon. Also we are located in southern California.

I need help to know where to start and how to get them all sold because it is an opportunity to help him and my mom out and relieve some of the burden on them while also helping myself take care of my two little kids.

I really appreciate any suggestions and even more so appreciate any of you just taking the time to read this!

Edited by Skwilly
Added location

It is not practical to sell these palms as individual purchases.  I would inquire with existing palm nurseries to propose a bulk sale of the complete inventory.  Try Flora Grubb,  Jungle Music, or Las Palmas Ranch.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

On 11/14/2023 at 9:17 PM, blue240z said:

What species

This definitely will help out moving this in a direction. 

T J 

T J 

even some pics

querious

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Okay so as far as the species goes there are some blue Mediterranean palms, sego palms, giant bird of paradise, and California or Mexican fans. There are also some King palms into foot boxes as well but they don't look like they're doing too well. There are also about 75 oak trees that are into football boxes that are about 6 ft tall as well as some kind of date palms in 2 foot boxes

IMG20231112151647.jpg

IMG20231112150038.jpg

IMG20231112145921.jpg

IMG20231112145833.jpg

IMG_20231112_145352.jpg

IMG_20231112_145307.jpg

• Like 1

I’m no expert but I doubt there is much value there. The Sago palms look good but are readily available. The fan palms (maybe chamaerops?) look good as well. The “King” palms are in rough shape and would probably not sell in that condition. At least not to a grower.

• Upvote 2

The 3rd photo are Chamaerops Humilis, mostly the blue "Cerifera" type.  To me those are the most valuable, and many there are at least 10 years old.  

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Agreed. The only value there really is the Humilis. Even that isn’t an exorbitant amount. And who do you sell 20 of those too? It will take 10yrs+. 

You are in a tough situation cuz the amount of time and effort it will take to get rid of 1/2 the lot isn’t worth the financial gain. It’s just a lot of work. 

-dale 

• Upvote 1

James, the cycads and the blue Chamaerops are the only plants of value.  Don't waste any more water on the funky Archontophoenix, they are  worth nothing.  Your best bet is still a bulk, single transaction with an established nursery.    :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

• 2 weeks later...

You may just be lucky to find someone willing to move the inventory off the property to their nursery in exchange for the plants.  There is a lot of labor, time and transportation costs going out to Fallbrook. There really isn't much value in the photos unless there are some less common palms you are not showing.

Thank you for the responses everyone! I am coming to understand that the whole lot is more of a burden than its worth and I am still trying to find a local nursery that will consider buying the entire lot but I haven't had any such luck so far. There is a local nursery that was interested in the segos but fo rnow that is on hold due to the holidays. Any other feedback is very welcome still and there are a few other species of trees and large succulents on the property as well but they are not quite as easy to get pictures of due to the layout and the fact that I have been unable to go up to the property for the past couple weeks.

Unfortunately, still nothing of value there. Washingtonians and queen palms are very common and not difficult to grow to that size quickly. The amount of labor required to move all that will limit the desire for any nursery to even come get it for free.

You may get in touch with moon nursery which I believe is a local mass produced palm nursery in the area. Or put out a Craigslist add for landscapers to take these palms off your hands for wholesale prices. Maybe try Facebook marketplace also. Your biggest problem is watering cost at the moment so the sooner you off load the better. 

Also noone had brought up @Phil Jungle Music there not terribly far and they could see some value in some of your stuff possibly. 

T J 

• Upvote 2

T J 

• 2 weeks later...

You might try donating to a public garden for a tax deduction or to the county or town they are located in for a tax break or to any charitable organization for the tax deduction. Could also contact a building developer who needs them for landscaping. How about an auction. Auction companies do the work and you get the money.

I have considered donations but I would be responsible for quite a bit of the process which I don't currently have the means for right now.

I think that Craigslist is your best bet.

• Upvote 1

You might consider planting a bunch of those palms on the property.  A few groves of Washingtonias and a driveway lined with Phoenix canariensis would look nice and possibly enhance the value of the property.  Place the blue Chamaerops under the taller palms.  Beautiful.

• Like 3