• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wild palms of Cattana Wetlands

Yunder Wækraus

Cattana Wetlands Environmental Park is in the northern suburbs of Cairns. (It’s about 15 minutes south of our house.) It was sugarcane fields and sand pits in the 20th century. The government reclaimed it in an effort to save one of the last large stands of Alexander palms in the area. They restored the surrounding wetland and planted tens of thousands of trees and shrubs. Many of this replanted vegetation is now 30 yearsIMG_0342.thumb.jpeg.2f9f3df3d039b7242dedc5a8e7d33737.jpeg old. How many palm species can you spot? (Name them in the comments!)

IMG_0314.jpeg

IMG_0315.jpeg

IMG_0321.jpeg

IMG_0325.jpeg

IMG_0337.jpeg

IMG_0331.jpeg

IMG_0334.jpeg

IMG_0333.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg

IMG_0348.jpeg

IMG_0346.jpeg

IMG_0345.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0349.jpeg

IMG_0336.jpeg

IMG_0332.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

IMG_0326.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

IMG_0322.jpeg

IMG_0320.jpeg

IMG_0319.jpeg

IMG_0317.jpeg

IMG_0318.jpeg

IMG_0316.jpeg

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0312.jpeg

IMG_0311.jpeg

IMG_0309.jpeg

IMG_0310.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

What a great place. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thank you so much for showing us such gorgeous photos of the Cattana Wetlands.  All those Licuala ooooh !  I had often wondered what  it looked like and knew it was somewhere I would never be able to visit, so it was a treat to see so much of it in such detail.

Peachy

• Like 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

In my teens I worked on cane farms around there. It's amazing to see how well they can rehabilitate the land if they really try. It won't ever be what it was before human intervention, but it's certainly far better than where it was heading.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

In my teens I worked on cane farms around there. It's amazing to see how well they can rehabilitate the land if they really try. It won't ever be what it was before human intervention, but it's certainly far better than where it was heading.

I believe the patch of swampy paperbark and feather palms near the boundary  is original and not replanted 

• Upvote 1

There's 5 farms I worked there, 4 off Yorkey's Knob Rd and the other in Smithfield (swallowed up by housing development now). One of those was around Robinson Rd. But there was a lot of sand mining going on around the place. At the time the Holloways Beach one was the biggest, from memory. They were concerned the sea might break into the diggings and undermine the community. They didn't seem concerned by operations further away from the coast and any environmental issues there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1