• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pinanga ID request

Brad52

This Pinanga caught my eye today so I bought 'em tho unlabelled.  Clumping, mottled, but looks like P coronata but I don't recall any of mine having a mottled phase?  Might someone know what this is?

IMG_2181.jpeg

IMG_2182.jpeg

IMG_2183.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brad52 said:

This Pinanga caught my eye today so I bought 'em tho unlabelled.  Clumping, mottled, but looks like P coronata but I don't recall any of mine having a mottled phase?  Might someone know what this is? ...

My first instinct says Pinanga sp. 'Blue Fruit' (or blue seed) but it might be a P. crassipes with a bit of bland coloration. Both have that mottling when young and a similar leaf shape. It could easily be another ivory crownshafted species the more I look at it.

After a short time growing it will make itself known. It might produce a showy light-pink new leaf and could flower when small.

Ryan

• Like 2

South Florida

Could be any number of the mottled shuttlecock Pinangas but coronata it looks fractionally too nice to be and maybe sarawakensis or yes crassipes but I’ve never seen a true crassipes as the one i knew about at a BG ended up being just a nice coronata. Maybe it is just that. 

Where I wanted to plant it, a P coronata would be too large so it sounds like I might need to be patient with this to see if an ID can emerge.

4 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Thi mottled, adingensis or blue seed are my guess 

John the person that I obtained it from is a seed opportunist are those palms common enough for someone to stumble across around here?

On 10/3/2023 at 9:40 AM, happypalms said:

Draceana thaloides is the plant in question 🌱

14 hours ago, Brad52 said:

John the person that I obtained it from is a seed opportunist are those palms common enough for someone to stumble across around here?

Definitely Thai mottled

Hey Brad, a good chance it’s P. coronata as they do have mottled leaves and a very common palm here in East Hawaii. That’s my guess. 

I’ll try and snap some photos this morning, got a ton of them.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Definitely Thai mottled

I have the pot sitting next to my 'Thai Mottled' and they do look alike save for my older one seems to have narrower leaves but maybe that is a seedling thing.

Hey Brad, I do have a ‘Thai mottled’, or at least it was acquired as such, and several other Pinanga. P. coronata pales in comparison to other species in mottled pattern and color, I’ve a P. densiflora, gifted from John Hovencsek, and it’s a beeute! 

P. coronata, while a great substitute for C. lutescens, is similar in speed of growth and constant maintenance. A love hate thing. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

2 hours ago, realarch said:

Hey Brad, a good chance it’s P. coronata as they do have mottled leaves and a very common palm here in East Hawaii. That’s my guess. 

I’ll try and snap some photos this morning, got a ton of them.

Tim

Tim, I have around 25 of them and none were mottled so this one is throwing me off Coronata but yours were mottled?

Brad, finally got a break from the rain, the first photo is P. coronata, the second is P. densiflora. Supposedly my P. coronata are the ‘blunt leaf’ form, but honestly I could never tell the difference between the two. My coronata have always had mottling.

Tim

IMG_7083.jpeg

IMG_7084.jpeg

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

7 minutes ago, realarch said:

Brad, finally got a break from the rain, the first photo is P. coronata, the second is P. densiflora. Supposedly my P. coronata are the ‘blunt leaf’ form, but honestly I could never tell the difference between the two. My coronata have always had mottling.

Tim

IMG_7083.jpeg

IMG_7084.jpeg

Dang, yours are much nicer than mine!