• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help identifying issue

Alex.k

One of my cycads does this in the cooler weather. In summer the tips go brown ..go figure ?

Peachy

• Upvote 2

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Iam not sure of your fertiliser program but curling leaves are usually a sign of overfetilising so if you have used fertiliser that may be one answer but there could be many reasons 

I have seen this on Whitelockii/Ituriensis and Laurentianus with new flushes.  It happens to mine on fall flushes sometimes, usually as a response to either heavy wind, a lack of water, or frequently a cold front in the 30s or low 40s.  If you get heavy winds while it's a couple of days from being completely hardened, it can easily get curled up like that.  Fertilizer at the wrong time could do it too, especially the fertilizer has a bit too much fast release in the mix.  Being in Miami, I'd guess it isn't a cold front.  But we did have some big storms in December and that could easily have done it. 

Otherwise the cycad looks great, and hopefully the spring flush comes out totally normal!

• Like 1

@peachy this has been in the ground for about a year now so let’s see what the summer weather and new flush brings. 

@happypalms I’ve never fertilized it since it’s been in the ground. Maybe I should start 

@Merlyn might actually be a response to this years bad weather on different occasions + strong winds. It’s somewhat of a protected spot but I’ll keep you guys posted on what the new fish looks like when it emerges

thank you all for your input!