• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What are the difference between Butia capitata vs. Butia yatay?

Tommy83

What are the visual differences between Butia capitata and Butia yatay?

I'm having trouble finding the identification keys that characterize the 2 species.

Thank you very much for your help!

As I recall capitatas are rare. not many palms called capitata are actually capitata.  Many of them are actually butia odorata.  Used to be board members who investigated this including traveling to their origins have posted. perhjaps do a search  on this site.  Yatay is reported to be a bigger palm with longer less recurved  petioles than odorata.  -If you have the right climate -they want a nice cool season- odoratas look great to my eye, here in my short cool season they dont look as robust as they do in northern florida.  I think the color of inflorescences and fruits are the best way to differentiate.  DO a few googles searches for these aspects.  As a small palm I am not sure you can differentiate them.

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I have a key to Butia ---B. yatay has  much bigger seeds and flowers than B. capitata or B. odorata 

• Like 4

@edbrown_III   

Thank you very much for your help. 

Here are a few photos I took last week. So that would be butia odorata... (unfortunately no inflorescence or seeds that would allow me to identify them with certainty).

IMG_6216.thumb.jpg.b6fd6fe2a0131b7d64f7ba424d54b6f4.jpg

IMG_6279.thumb.jpg.0880fb213559826f86e5545675b8a9e9.jpg

IMG_6215.thumb.jpg.def0819b771899d6cc56eace134d160c.jpg

• Like 2

Tommy, I defer to Ed on these matters of butia.  I probably learned what I do know from Ed, go direct to the source for the best information.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank