• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Seed collection time.

Las Palmas Norte

It's likely seed collection time in your neck of the woods. What have you managed to source?

I grabbed some Trachycarpus fortunei yesterday. These seem a bit larger than I'm used to seeing, in excess of a half inch wide.

T.fort1.jpg.2fecf931e61a5f29b32754ce003fbd5b.jpgT.fort2.jpg.acb230f85b50985d2e20233ea38d8dc9.jpgT.fort3.jpg.aee2c80ed39f73eda6a9c37fc0c32e2e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

It's likely seed collection time in your neck of the woods. What have you managed to source?

I grabbed some Trachycarpus fortunei yesterday. These seem a bit larger than I'm used to seeing, in excess of a half inch wide.

T.fort1.jpg.2fecf931e61a5f29b32754ce003fbd5b.jpgT.fort2.jpg.acb230f85b50985d2e20233ea38d8dc9.jpgT.fort3.jpg.aee2c80ed39f73eda6a9c37fc0c32e2e.jpg

They look like blueberries lol. I haven't checked on any seeds this year. I was able to  collect seeds from some Filiferas last year in October . All together I would say I'm growing about 40 plus Filiferas where most of them  didn't even grow its second leaf yet. 

• Like 2

Here in NC, December was a late harvest for the Washingtonia filibusta, but just right for palmetto.  This month I picked up some Sabal minor and some Trachycarpus seeds.  Here, seed-producing Trachycarpus are surprisingly hard to find. 

Edit; I also found a seed-producing Chamaerops back in October or November, I put the seeds "somewhere safe" and then couldn't remember where that was... oh well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here at my place Livistona chinensis is loaded with 8 branches of fruits.  This is the first year that I have seen the fruits turn bluish color.  Squirrels and/or rats are cleaning most of them!

IMG_20240129_113614.jpg

IMG_20240129_140147.jpg

• Like 3

Jon Sunder

Trying first time to germinate Nikau palm seed collected in Ventura. I keep trying to get success from Jubaeopsis Caffra also collected in Ventura. One started and failed.  Jubaea seed from Santa Barbara also needs  starting but heat mat is packed with other projects. I have three Parajubaea Cocoides up and growing and waiting on leaf to show on three more. Cocoides seed from  trees in Ventura and Grover Beach. 

• Like 2

I am only seeing a couple of palms that have seed . Both are Chamaedorea that I already have plenty of around the house. I will still harvest and plant around the yard. 

• Like 1

It's so awesome when a palm starts to seed after years of growing! I too have a Livistona chinensis that's loaded with seed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry’s Palms said:

I am only seeing a couple of palms that have seed . Both are Chamaedorea that I already have plenty of around the house. I will still harvest and plant around the yard. 

What species of Chamaedorea are setting seeds?

C. Radicalis tree form and C. Microspadix. The seeds are just starting to show color . When they are bright red , they are ready. I have not seen any seed from the Metallica’s yet but I have had a volunteer in the pot sprout up . The Sefrizi has never produced viable seed .

• Like 1

I got some Filibusta growing, sadly while I was gone for a week I forgot to deep water and half of them died from underwatering. I finally got my trachyseeds in the fridge for 3 weeks, and will start growing them. I will germinate my coconut and probably plant in-ground during summer for faster growth and then pot em up.

43 minutes ago, Harry’s Palms said:

C. Radicalis tree form and C. Microspadix. The seeds are just starting to show color . When they are bright red , they are ready. I have not seen any seed from the Metallica’s yet but I have had a volunteer in the pot sprout up . The Sefrizi has never produced viable seed .

Awesome, if you have any extra C. radicalis tree form seeds that you are willing to part with send me a PM I have seeds (and seedlings) from several species of Palms currently if you are up for a trade…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoPalma said:

I will germinate my coconut and probably plant in-ground during summer for faster growth and then pot em up.

How does that happen in that order?

8 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Awesome, if you have any extra C. radicalis tree form seeds that you are willing to part with send me a PM I have seeds (and seedlings) from several species of Palms currently if you are up for a trade…

PM sent, Harry

7 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

How does that happen in that order?

Im not sure what you mean but I'm just growing the coconuts for aesthetics during summer.

11 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

I will germinate my coconut and probably plant in-ground during summer for faster growth and then pot em up.

2 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Im not sure what you mean but I'm just growing the coconuts for aesthetics during summer.

Your original statement implies coconut germination then planting in-ground followed by "pot them up". Are you attempting to dig these out at a later date?

2 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Your original statement implies coconut germination then planting in-ground followed by "pot them up". Are you attempting to dig these out at a later date?

Yes, maybe what I said was not correctly said.

7 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Yes, maybe what I said was not correctly said.

Have you formulated any plans as of yet? Curious what your coconut germination undertaking will be. In two previous attempts, I've never been able to germinate a coconut.

Edited by Las Palmas Norte

I got Washingtonia filibusta 'Fayetteville' from @BeyondTheGarden in various stages from seeds to small seedlings, with 2 post germination casualties to date (one cooked by my grow light and one nabbed by fungus in a single night)-- all started 12/28/23. Also got 25 needle palm seeds from @Bigfish with shells removed in a moist baggy as of late last week. 

I got a few pics if any interest

Edited by Leelanau Palms
  • Like 3

Zone 6b maritime climate