• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The delicious butiá fruits. Taste of childhood.

Alberto

I just harvested the fruits of the delicious butiá (Butia eriospatha), at the point I prefer them, when they start to turn yellow. Taste of childhood! The seeds are easily released from the fiberless and juicy mesocarp in this variety.

20240128_095314.jpg

20240128_094858.jpg

20240128_101521.jpg

20240128_095357.jpg

20240128_095432.jpg

20240128_095552.jpg

20240128_095450.jpg

20240128_095522.jpg

20240128_095250.jpg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 3

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I'm still waiting for my Butia to flower and hope it's soon!  I'm sure it's odorata but eriospatha would be a better fruit source!IMG_20230603_091021.thumb.jpg.151a870053b80b44331c338840d85ec2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

My mother used to make jelly with the seeds from our Butia palms.  It was quite good as I remember.  She used to give jars of this jelly to friends as gifts.

This was back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. 

When my parents moved to their retirement home, I helped my dad move one of the smaller Butia palms to that house.  I remember it like it was yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

i love eating butia fruits.  mine i got was labeled compacta but regardless, to me the fruits taste like pineapple.  

thats great @Alberto ... i love when you bite into something and it instantly transports you to child ... for me that would be eating tamarind.  :)  

• Like 3

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

The Butia odorata fruit makes a good drop of wine too. I wonder what Butia eriospatha wine would be like. I think I need to get hold of this species somehow. 

• Like 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Beautiful B. eriospatha. Can not find a source here so do not have one but the fruits on B. odorata are abundant. They are delicious but I will have to try them at the stage you are picking them. I think I get them when they are too ripe as they only last a day or two before rotting. 

• Like 1

I remember the first time I was down on my hill and noticed the fruit on my silver blue Butia . I grabbed a couple of them and just bit into them . Not much fruit , mostly seed. The taste , to me , was apricot…very sweet apricot. Since that time the squirrels found out and I rarely see any fruit after the inflorescence. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/30/2024 at 12:10 AM, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Beautiful B. eriospatha. Can not find a source here so do not have one but the fruits on B. odorata are abundant. They are delicious but I will have to try them at the stage you are picking them. I think I get them when they are too ripe as they only last a day or two before rotting. 

Exactly!

• Like 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Broadley Green nursery, South Australia had this Butia growing that produced lovely fruit with zero string. It was like pineapple, but more complex. Very tasty and full of juice, I had no problem cleaning the seeds 😋😂.

Not sure on the exact species, but I will plant it's offspring in my own garden in the hopes it will one day produce the same quality fruit.

96426370_10157738454013525_6176395002961199104_n.jpg

96666724_10157738454048525_885825146395295744_n.jpg

• Like 2

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

11 minutes ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

Broadley Green nursery, South Australia had this Butia growing that produced lovely fruit with zero string. It was like pineapple, but more complex. Very tasty and full of juice, I had no problem cleaning the seeds 😋😂.

Not sure on the exact species, but I will plant it's offspring in my own garden in the hopes it will one day produce the same quality fruit.

96426370_10157738454013525_6176395002961199104_n.jpg

96666724_10157738454048525_885825146395295744_n.jpg

Very ripe B.eriospatha fruits also look like this. To be certain of the species ( eriospatha / odorata) you will have to see the brown spathe covered with a thick layer of wooly tomentum of the B.eriospatha

• Like 2

For a short time in 1993 I lived in that section of Long Beach California just east of downtown Long Beach and a few blocks in from the shore, full of of motels converted to cheap apartments.

One of the tree lawns had this awesome Butea setting fruit like apricots. 

They were SO GOOD! Wolfed down like twelve of them; saved the seeds. Sprouted them sold them to various people after practically drooling as I described the fruit.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I only got fruit one year on mine . To me , it tasted like very ripe Apricot. Not much fruit and kind of stringy but very sweet . Harry