• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should I cut this one off?

Dave_E

Hi All,

My 10 year old Windmill Palm is doing well this winter, seems to have made it through our cold spell OK. There is one fan that has taken a serious dip from the crown and wonder if I should cut it off now? Can that hurt the crown if I leave it?  Dave

IMG_3737.thumb.jpeg.50fbee5cef493c788780cdb659982f88.jpeg

• Like 2

You mean the frond on the left?  Leave it

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

If it's green leave it. These are the fronds that are providing nutrients for the overall health of your palm.

• Like 3

I can only speak for SE z8a, but Trachies can carry up to 60 leaves in the canopy. Hopefully @Las Palmas Norte can tell you what is normal for your corner of the country.

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Your palm is pretty devoid of fronds, I agree with the others it should stay.  I would remove green fronds from my Trachies sometimes for aesthetic reasons, but they usually had at least 20 fronds if not way more.  It's serving a function and you take too many off your palm will grow more slowly and may end up too thin.  A couple pictures of mine after a trim.

IMG_8264.jpeg

IMG_8263.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I think Trachys look very awkward when they are trimmed heavily.  I really love the skirted look, I think it makes them look much more tropical.

Screenshot_20240207-194249_Earth.thumb.jpg.cc6a6cf641bb17cec1bd827394bb98da.jpg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Cody Salem said:

I think Trachys look very awkward when they are trimmed heavily.  I really love the skirted look, I think it makes them look much more tropical.

Screenshot_20240207-194249_Earth.thumb.jpg.cc6a6cf641bb17cec1bd827394bb98da.jpg

Nice skirt ; I want some of mine to have a skirt like that , and others I might defiber some and prune off the skirts . 

Will

With all the tens of thousands of Trachys in the PNW,  it's very rare to see one with a skirt.  They usually are the neglected ones.  Too bad I moved mine were at the height where I was going to let the skirt form...

• Upvote 1

This is a 2023 photo of the first palm I ever planted.  The new owners defiantly neglected it, but I really like how full it looks now.

image.png.dd77972ba0c78d6dae78cb53e8e512d5.png

This is another neglected one that I liked.    circa 2012

witherspoon.PNG.bc31b73182093e6058ddaa8fb1f3dee7.PNG

same one circa 2023  skirt trimmed off, but still left lots of old fronds

witherspoon2.thumb.PNG.cf17fc37240f2ef500c70e7a918304c4.PNG

Edited by Cody Salem
added date
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

One more from Roseburg.  I love the wild look,  makes them seem like they are there naturally.

riflerange3.thumb.PNG.53ffebaca3586d4ebe86452b0e688d4d.PNG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I still don't understand how the Y cut became popular because it's ugly. I love a big healthy crown and some skirting; it just looks more tropical. 😍

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agree: leave it. That Trachy is way overtrimmed. Give it some slack. It's a living entity not a fashion statement.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I planted these two palms in circa 1998 as 5 gal palms (25 yrs ago). We sold this house in 2001 and would never have laid eyes on them again, until photos recently came up from a real estate listing. They don't really look as cared for as they should be. Alive just the same.

I did plant two on opposite sides of the driveway, but no pics of those.

Screenshot(337).thumb.png.8a7df5dc4f5ea163006516e2c35205f5.png

• Like 3