• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor ‘Louisiana’

Stevejr

Found this seller on eBay. Before I purchase this, has anyone bought from this seller, and is this Sabal an actual Louisiana?IMG_6395.thumb.jpeg.d1212f3c928e42ecc860ad47aa0efc68.jpeg

The 3rd pic in the listing shows a large dug minor bareroot that probably won't live.  Avoid

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

The only way this palm could survive, is if it were replanted in Southern Florida and kept moist at all time... In your area you would need to build some sort of enclosure to trap heat and moisture in.

You need to reach out to the seller and ask for pictures of the recovery process.  To me 130$ isn't all that expensive, but definitely a gamble

Check out Pungo palms or TyTy nursery. Market place.....you might have luck 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Stevejr said:

This seller says he cuts off all the leaves and ships them bareroot.

Why would he cut off all of the leaves?  That should be an ominous sign right there.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Stevejr said:

This seller says he cuts off all the leaves and ships them bareroot.

Huge Blazing Red Flag.  This person does not know about these palms.  Avoid at all costs.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The rhizome of a Sabal palm can not be dug and prepared like a tulip bulb for replanting.  I corresponded with several persons that believed they could beat all odds and sent $130, plus taxes, to this seller.  After waiting 6-12 months for a miracle to happen, they bought fully rooted, potted plants from me and have been happy for years.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

That’s good to know. Anyway, I found a seller for Sabal minor ‘Louisiana’, and it arrived today from Jungle Music Palms, Cycads, and Tropicals in California. I’m in zone 7b, Bayside, NY.

Edited by Stevejr
  • Like 1