• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Palm in my Garden

shark

This is my green coconut palm in my garden, it's about 1.7 meter tall and it's been growing for about 2 years. I grew it since it was a seedling. I bought it from an online shop with a price for only 1 dollar! Yea it's really cheap in here because i'm living in a tropical country. Then about the watering, i just watered it everyday and give a sunlight. For the soil, i mix it with my clay soil from my garden, organic soil, and composed leaves. It's really beautiful to see it actually, plus the emerging light green leaves. And also, it has almost no problem at all with the coconut that i grew from seedling, maybe just like some little sunburned leaves or anything. Overall, it's good and healthy. For you guys who lives in a tropical country, i'm very recommend you to grow a coconut palm :)

IMG20240307102436.thumb.jpg.20ba6d04f409cca9e3a6ed4fc1dd281a.jpg

• Like 7

Surprised you paid a dollar for it. I can't give them away, no one wants them (or wants any more). Do you live in a large town?

Sometimes see them here in supermarkets, dehusked. They're from Samoa. No one here likes dehusking them, apparently Samoans don't mind.

They look great, at any size. A neighbour of mine had nearly 100 tall ones but when he sold, the new people cut out nearly all of them.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 7:30 AM, tropicbreeze said:

Surprised you paid a dollar for it. I can't give them away, no one wants them (or wants any more). Do you live in a large town?

Sometimes see them here in supermarkets, dehusked. They're from Samoa. No one here likes dehusking them, apparently Samoans don't mind.

They look great, at any size. A neighbour of mine had nearly 100 tall ones but when he sold, the new people cut out nearly all of them.

Yes i do live in a large city,  Jakarta. Well in here the currency(rupiah) is superrr low, because if you convert 1$USD to IDR is around Rp15.000 which is a very big difference between both of them, so for you maybe the price is very cheap.

On 3/14/2024 at 10:30 AM, tropicbreeze said:

Online here they want $59 for a sprouting nut.  If you buy more than 10 they give you them for a mere $49 each (plus postage) They all come from FNQ. It's the high prices for a seedling that stops them from being a popular garden palm in Brisbane.  Took me 6 months to track down someone who sells Carpies (yes I know you think they are weeds) similar story to the coconuts, high seedling prices (and exorbitant postage costs) scare away the average gardener here who can buy a 2 metre Bangalow for less.  My pricey Carpentaria was the rattiest looking specimen you've ever seen too.  It's starting to look better but if I hadn't paid so much for it, I would have chucked it on arrival.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:39 AM, peachy said:

Online here they want $59 for a sprouting nut.  If you buy more than 10 they give you them for a mere $49 each (plus postage) They all come from FNQ. It's the high prices for a seedling that stops them from being a popular garden palm in Brisbane.  Took me 6 months to track down someone who sells Carpies (yes I know you think they are weeds) similar story to the coconuts, high seedling prices (and exorbitant postage costs) scare away the average gardener here who can buy a 2 metre Bangalow for less.  My pricey Carpentaria was the rattiest looking specimen you've ever seen too.  It's starting to look better but if I hadn't paid so much for it, I would have chucked it on arrival.

Peachy

Same here in nurseries, they sometimes have them but at a high price. Probably 2 - 3 year old plants. But if you go out along the coast they're there at give away prices (unsprouted), if you're prepared to stoop down to pick one up. Out in the rural area they're all over the place. Easy to get if you know someone, or just ask.

I expect Indonesia is the same. If you're in the big city (and Jakarta qualifies as BIG) they'd be few and far between. But in the rural areas they'd be laid on.

Remember seeing coconuts around Noosa. Don't remember if they were fruiting, but they were healthy enough.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 9:56 AM, tropicbreeze said:

Same here in nurseries, they sometimes have them but at a high price. Probably 2 - 3 year old plants. But if you go out along the coast they're there at give away prices (unsprouted), if you're prepared to stoop down to pick one up. Out in the rural area they're all over the place. Easy to get if you know someone, or just ask.

I expect Indonesia is the same. If you're in the big city (and Jakarta qualifies as BIG) they'd be few and far between. But in the rural areas they'd be laid on.

Remember seeing coconuts around Noosa. Don't remember if they were fruiting, but they were healthy enough.

I have a golden malay dwarf coconut here thats been in the ground for 32 months and it's grown steadily. It's taller than me now and the cold doesn't seem to affect it at all.

Peachy

• Like 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.