• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washingtonia palm maintenance question

Floridapalmnovice

Hi! Please help me understand what I should be doing with these palms my parents planted years ago.  They had dead fronds trimmed when they were reachable but now I cannot find anyone to trim them and someone told me I actually shouldn’t trim them because they will just fall off/down when ready.  Also, is the trunk supposed to do this (sort of shed)? Any tips appreciated.  Located in central Florida and would like to keep them. Thank you. 

IMG_4505.jpeg

IMG_4506.jpeg

IMG_4507.jpeg

IMG_4508.jpeg

1 hour ago, Floridapalmnovice said:

Hi! Please help me understand what I should be doing with these palms my parents planted years ago.  They had dead fronds trimmed when they were reachable but now I cannot find anyone to trim them and someone told me I actually shouldn’t trim them because they will just fall off/down when ready.  Also, is the trunk supposed to do this (sort of shed)? Any tips appreciated.  Located in central Florida and would like to keep them. Thank you. 

Yes, it's perfectly normal for the palm to shed its old fronds and leaf bases.  You can leave the dead fronds alone and the palm will create a "skirt" like the one on the left in your first photo.  Problem is that this "skirt" creates an ideal haven for rats to live and nest in.  Washingtonia palms are nice palms for a while but then they become too tall and difficult to maintain.  This is why most people here would suggest planting other species.  In your area there are so many better options of palms available that are easily grown and much easier to maintain.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Welcome to PalmTalk.  Since you would like to keep them, you can just keep them, as is.  No need to do anything.

• Upvote 2

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Is this south of I4? Chainsaw all the Washes and Queens. Contact CFPACS, the local IPS branch. Members can help you choose more interesting palms for your solid z9b locale. 

Yes, I know this sounds cruel, but in five years you'll be happier for it.

I have a service that trims my palms now and then . They do 8-10 palms for around $1200 . They are very fast and the palms grow back quickly. Lately I’ve been holding off because the last time they trimmed them very close . I will probably wait until fall before the Santa Ana winds come. Here is how my Washingtonia looks now . Harry

IMG_3785.jpeg

IMG_3699.jpeg

In 5-10 years those palms will become pretty solid lightning rods. Enjoy them until then.

Palms - Adonidia merillii1 Bismarckia nobilis, 2 Butia odorataBxJ1 BxJxBxS1 BxSChamaerops humilis1 Chambeyronia macrocarpa1 Hyophorbe lagenicaulis1 Hyophorbe verschaffeltiiLivistona chinensis1 Livistona nitida, 1 Phoenix canariensis3 Phoenix roebeleniiRavenea rivularis1 Rhapis excelsa1 Sabal bermudanaSabal palmetto4 Syagrus romanzoffianaTrachycarpus fortunei4 Washingtonia robusta1 Wodyetia bifurcata
Total: 41