• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Obi Island Palm

PalmX

Does anyone have experience with these?

I'm going to keep it potted to bring in during colder temps, but I'm concerned about fungus with the fronds because so broad. 

Do you notice if they attach more problems than other palms? 

Thanks

In the right climate, H. benguinii sp. Obi island is a fairly easy palm to grow and resilient. Use the ‘search’ feature on the site, lots of info and photos. This palm has been discussed here for years.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Most Hydriastele spp tend to be a bit fragile but H beguinii 'Obi Isle' is surprisingly robust with thicker, more rugged leaves than other species. I have two planted in my back yard jungle. The largest, oldest came from Floribunda and happily grew on my back lanai until its new spears threatened to pierce the screen and shade cloth. I reluctantly decided to plant it but figured winter would do it in.  But it has survived 4 winters + Hurricane Ian. Surprisingly tough palm.

That said, I don't keep houseplants and don't intend to start. You don't have that option and that's where you have to be diligent and inventive when you bring your Obi indoors for your long, cold winters. Its needs are non-negotiable and you have to figure how to meet them before the next 5-6 months elapse. A tropical palm like Hydriasteles must have the following:

1. Warmth - Daytime temps at least 70-85F. Night times above 60F, preferably higher. Your northern house is too cold in winter. Tropical palms are not just cold sensitive but also cool sensitive. Extended exposure to chilly temps will kill them as surely as a one-time blast to 30F. Canadian members of PT overwinter their tropical plants in a room or a basement set up to supply the extra heat these tropical palms need. Do a search to find some of the topics they post about protecting their palms.

2. High humidity - 70%+. Your house is too dry in winter. Plan to provide extra moisture to raise that %

3. High light - Your house is too dark so you need to provide supplemental light, preferably with plant grow lights.

Be aware that chilly, dry, dark houses are prime territory for spider mite infestations that will reduce your Obi to a husk. Make sure you pot it in a coarse, loose potting mix not in cheap black potting soil. I use a blend of Kellogg garden soil, reconstituted coco coir and perlite. Water carefully and only when your mix is dry 1" down. Do not overwater - water is not the cure for all perceived plant ills. Never let pots sit in trays of water. An occasional tepid shower in the bathtub can wash off dust and pests Do not fertilize during winter. 

• Like 4

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I get mid to high 50’s  at night in the winter and really wet and the ones I have do great but bug magnet 

IMG_6783.jpeg

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Most Hydriastele spp tend to be a bit fragile but H beguinii 'Obi Isle' is surprisingly robust with thicker, more rugged leaves than other species. I have two planted in my back yard jungle. The largest, oldest came from Floribunda and happily grew on my back lanai until its new spears threatened to pierce the screen and shade cloth. I reluctantly decided to plant it but figured winter would do it in.  But it has survived 4 winters + Hurricane Ian. Surprisingly tough palm.

That said, I don't keep houseplants and don't intend to start. You don't have that option and that's where you have to be diligent and inventive when you bring your Obi indoors for your long, cold winters. Its needs are non-negotiable and you have to figure how to meet them before the next 5-6 months elapse. A tropical palm like Hydriasteles must have the following:

1. Warmth - Daytime temps at least 70-85F. Night times above 60F, preferably higher. Your northern house is too cold in winter. Tropical palms are not just cold sensitive but also cool sensitive. Extended exposure to chilly temps will kill them as surely as a one-time blast to 30F. Canadian members of PT overwinter their tropical plants in a room or a basement set up to supply the extra heat these tropical palms need. Do a search to find some of the topics they post about protecting their palms.

2. High humidity - 70%+. Your house is too dry in winter. Plan to provide extra moisture to raise that %

3. High light - Your house is too dark so you need to provide supplemental light, preferably with plant grow lights.

Be aware that chilly, dry, dark houses are prime territory for spider mite infestations that will reduce your Obi to a husk. Make sure you pot it in a coarse, loose potting mix not in cheap black potting soil. I use a blend of Kellogg garden soil, reconstituted coco coir and perlite. Water carefully and only when your mix is dry 1" down. Do not overwater - water is not the cure for all perceived plant ills. Never let pots sit in trays of water. An occasional tepid shower in the bathtub can wash off dust and pests Do not fertilize during winter. 

How much Florida sun do you figure these can take and still look good?  

Not much Florida sun. I lived there for a few years and that sun is brutal 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Looking Glass said:

How much Florida sun do you figure these can take and still look good?  

I tried to place mine under canopy. They are not sun loving palms. But Ian shredded all my canopy. Both palms survived that but weren't happy about it. I advise you to put yours in full shade.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, John hovancsek said:

Not much Florida sun. I lived there for a few years and that sun is brutal 

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I tried to place mine under canopy. They are not sun loving palms. But Ian shredded all my canopy. Both palms survived that but weren't happy about it. I advise you to put yours in full shade.

Good to know.   I’ve been eyeballing these for a while.   Shade protection it shall be.   Thanks.  

• Like 1

Agree on full shade. I have five planted in Fort Lauderdale and all are doing very well. A tough palm. 

• Like 1

Mine are in pots on the porch still but begging to get in the ground. Have done fine in the screened filtered light, easy palms and stunning

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A