• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Durham, NC

SP the Don

Surprised to see this growing so far north and inland—I’m trying to remember if there are any palms in Raleigh, but first time I’ve been to Durham and …wasn’t expecting palms, nvm a tree! This was at Knox Park

A4527404-094D-4842-BA7E-88790608DEB6.jpeg

• Like 9

Pullen park in Raleigh, is famous for it's palms among cold hardy enthusiasts.

Nice palm!

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

You should visit Plant Delights Nursery and JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. They have a number of palms and subtropicals that most folks think won't grow here.

• Like 3

Duke Gardens in Durham has a lot of palms. If you’re in the area, it’s worth checking out in general. It’s quite spectacular.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I spent an afternoon there! Huge bigleaf magnolia, too, I don’t see enough of those

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have palms near Lincolnton NC more than 200 miles inland. Not to mention Charlotte and Gastonia both have quite a selection. Most of the piedmont of NC is suitable for trachycarpus and sometimes Sabal palmetto.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Drew N Carolina said:

“We have palms near Lincolnton NC more than 200 miles inland. Not to mention Charlotte and Gastonia both have quite a selection. Most of the piedmont of NC is suitable for trachycarpus and sometimes Sabal palmetto.”

I’m surprised to hear of any that far inland—you sure it’s not just specimens that die off and are replaced when necessary? Or are there noticeably-sustained specimens

I'm positive. Here are pictures of our 2 largest trachycarpus going back to 2017. Each picture is a different year. These are not protected. They came from. Gary's Nursery in New Bern. He collected seeds form palms that survived the 1980's freeze. These are tough palms and we've had temperatures into the lower singe digits at last 4°f a few times. I have many other palms, these are the 2 largest. I also have a 35 year old Sabal palmetto and 2 Sabal minor at my parents house. I had to trunk cut the palmetto in 2018. There are many more around. There was a trachycarpus in Hickory NC, it wasn't pretty but it survived from the 1940s till early 2000s and was only removed because the new owner didn't like it, although it was not looking as good as I'm sure it did before my time.

20220117_115002.jpg

20220425_193442.jpg

20180117_124910.jpg

20190901_100419.jpg

20171011_191413.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

There’s windmills and various other cold hardy palms all over the NC piedmont and into VA as well. 

Windmills are becoming increasingly more common. I think people are finally starting to realize that many palms can thrive in NC. Most people underestimate what plants you can grow in central NC. 

• Like 4

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I'm in Winston-Salem which is often a couple degrees colder than Raleigh and Durham and not as hot in the summer by a couple degrees too .

IMG_5250.thumb.jpeg.d97d4b49f951acadd7b6425f24fc32b6.jpegIMG_5290.thumb.jpeg.f83da6f38eb87a64b297e125dc3e60b8.jpegIMG_5363.thumb.jpeg.4d5fa4edb0093258830556f50cb13f73.jpegIMG_5259.thumb.jpeg.5890ea6abd0db36aedb8135e5675646f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 9/22/2024 at 1:42 PM, Drew N Carolina said:

These are tough palms and we've had temperatures into the lower singe digits at last 4°f a few times.

Those are beauties!!! Thanks for sharing this pictures. They are delightful.

• Like 1