• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sobralia rodgersiana

I recently acquired a large specimen and plan to install it in a very prominent location in my garden.   The orchid is potted in sphagnum moss, in a 12x10 inch pot, with 15 canes about 74 inches tall.   I plan to install it above ground, with the bottom of the pot removed and with irrigation once per week.   After digging a hole below the pot location what sort of mixture should I use for the re-filled hole and the pot sleeve ?  The 100% moss seems wrong,  and I wish to have a mix more water retentive,  and also more "transitional" to the adjacent soil.  Thanks for any comments !  

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

Hi Darold, long time, no talk! 

I know nothing about them personally but just happened to read a good article recently  https://www.exoticaesoterica.com/magazine/orchid-addiction-how-to-stay-sobr-alia

Hopefully some good info, he seems a serious grower.

Cheers Jonathan 

• Like 1

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Thanks Jonathan,  great article even though it has increased my lust for these plants !

I purchased my orchid directly from Bruce Rodgers.

(There are TOO MANY beautiful and desirable plants in this world !! )  :laugh2:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Darold, reading the article, it sounds like Bruce Rodgers knows what the appropriate media is for his namesake orchid.  You might still want to contact him and ask what he would do if putting in the ground though.  Before reading the article, I thought about the media that all my potted Sobralias are in.  It is more a mix of orchid bark, pumice and perlite and very well draining.  I snapped some photos so you have a visual of what the mixes are.  They are all pretty similar across the different species I'm growing (Sobralia macanthra, xantholuca, sanderae and rupicola.)  Keep us posted on how this performs for you.  Mine take quite a bit of sun on the coast so I'm sure yours will handle a great deal of sun as well in your climate.

20240508-BH3I3479.jpg

20240508-BH3I3480.jpg

20240508-BH3I3481.jpg

20240508-BH3I3482.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 3 months later...
On 5/8/2024 at 6:45 AM, Darold Petty said:

Thanks Jonathan,  great article even though it has increased my lust for these plants !

(There are TOO MANY beautiful and desirable plants in this world !! )  :laugh2:

Any blooms on it this year Darold?  Except for this one, mine are pretty much done blooming for this summer.

1723302956735324359014486341684.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know how to recognize the potential bloom.  I assume that it is terminal on each stem ?  My pot has various stems that previously flowered, and 3 or 4 stems now in the growth phase.  Certainly, I will post an image when I get a flower !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I don't know how to recognize the potential bloom.  I assume that it is terminal on each stem ?  My pot has various stems that previously flowered, and 3 or 4 stems now in the growth phase.  Certainly, I will post an image when I get a flower !

Your assumption is correct.  Here are examples of the flower formation. 

20240810_165918.jpg

20240810_165844.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/10/2024 at 9:36 AM, Darold Petty said:

Sobralia flowers are terminal and each stem will only bloom for one season(several flowers one after another). Those previously-bloomed stems should be pruned off since they will compete with new stems.

Here is a Sobralia rogersiana flower, from Cal Orchids

IMG_0364.thumb.jpeg.967237090bcf17c1d338f7f1a528a113.jpeg

• Like 1

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

For a mix that retains moisture but transitions well to your garden soil, try combining equal parts of sphagnum moss, pine bark, and perlite. This blend will keep the roots well-drained yet moist.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daxin said:

Sobralia flowers are terminal and each stem will only bloom for one season(several flowers one after another). Those previously-bloomed stems should be pruned off since they will compete with new stems.

Here is a Sobralia rogersiana flower, from Cal Orchids

IMG_0364.thumb.jpeg.967237090bcf17c1d338f7f1a528a113.jpeg

So when does this hybrid normally bloom for you as guidance from Darold on what to expect.   Is yours in bloom now or did it already complete its flowers for this summer?

I fell in love with Sobralias in Guatemala this summer. Amazing flowers, and the plants themselves are very pretty. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2024 at 8:20 AM, Tracy said:

So when does this hybrid normally bloom for you as guidance from Darold on what to expect.   Is yours in bloom now or did it already complete its flowers for this summer?

My Sobralia rogersiana seems to have just finished blooming for this year with about ten flowers altogether. At most only two flowers were open at the same time. I also have an older and larger Sobralia macrantha that had close to 20 flowers at its peak bloom time in the beginning of July. Hopefully S. rogersiana will get to that level one day.

IMG_9700.thumb.jpeg.33a5ee740d2aaad04ecb511e5a7de662.jpeg

• Like 2

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

• 1 month later...

Here is my first flower !  It is about 8 inches wide by 9 inches tall !  ( 20 cm x 22.5cm)

IMG_0687.JPG

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Here is my first flower !  It is about 8 inches wide by 9 inches tall !  ( 20 cm x 22.5cm)

IMG_0687.JPG

Congratulations Darold.   It is a large beautiful flower.  You might find yourself hooked on this genus.

• Like 1