• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who am I?

Jonathan

Volunteer seedling that appeared in a pot with a bigger plant of a different species in it a couple of years ago.

Assumed it was a Butia, as it seems to be polyembryonic twins which is common in that genus, and I've had lots of seed over the years.

However...looks to be palmate now that adult leaves are developing. Also it's totally unarmed.

Considered Sabal, but no heel as yet.

Brahea is my current best guess...

Also, to add to the confusion...I haven't bought seeds of any of the above for at least 10 years. This little guy is 3 years old Max, which means the seed was dormant for at least 7 years.

Will no doubt be something obvious but is eluding my addled brain. 

Any thoughts?

IMG20240510114603.jpg

IMG20240510114541.jpg

IMG20240510114624.jpg

IMG20240510114617.jpg

• Like 1

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Yes! That could well be right. 

I had some seeds that never germinated, many, many years ago.

Thanks very much.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Yep, looks like Nannorrhops to me too. Nice bonus!  I’ll keep my seed a while yet now I now this is a chance. Not too slow either for 3 years old. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Not bad at all...I must have given up hope and recycled the propagation mix.

Sometimes pays to be sloppy!

OK, this is actually pretty interesting.

Looking back through my germination records, I  bought Nannorrhops seed one time only...in June 2008! So if that seed germinated in say 2020, then it was dormant for at least 12 years. Impressive, but probably not surprising given their extreme habitat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3