• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corypha's In Lal Bagh_Banglore..

Kris

kris i love that pic on page 1 of the royals(don't remember which post#)! thanks for posting all the wonderful pix!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Kris,

Thanks for the pictures of those palms.  I really enjoy your pictures of India.  Please keep more coming.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Dear Paul  :)

thanks for your comments and iam glad you liked it.

Dear Don  :)

you are my inspiration,seeing your tours & indepth coverage,is what made me move around collecting beautiful snaps from around my side of the world..

lots of love to you both,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,I'm a new member here,but I'm admiring those fantastic Coryphas.Someday i hope to visit your beautiful country.Please keep the pictures coming.What huge leaves on those palms!

Chuck Bailey

I picked up another David Fairchild book on eBay entitled "Garden Islands of the Great East", my third by him, and saw this picture in the book which reminded me of this topic.  The book was published in 1943.  Here is one of the palms they ran across during those travels.  I wonder if that palm still exists or has fallen to the hand of nature, or of man, aka development.

fairchild.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Dear Chuck Bailey  :)

First of all a warm & hearty welcome to our forum & palm family ! And certainly india is beautiful with lots of cultural heritage sites and vast linguiestic varities... :)

And i will try to post more of the plants from my part of the world..so stay tuned !  :)

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Keith Thibodeaux  :)

Thanks very much for that classic black & white still of this giant fan palm..

Hope more memebers post similar unique stills of corypha's that they have seen or come across in their lives..

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

nice stills kris, truly an awe inspiring palm

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Dear Big  :)

Iam glad you like it and as you have said its indeed the mother of all fan palms,and also happens to be my favouriate too..

lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

great pics Kris, those corypha's are massive, they make bismarckia look small.  thanks for the pics!!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Dear Gilbert  :)

thanks for visiting and keying in your comments,we could call those talipot fan palms as the emperor of the fan palms..to see them live in those gardens was like a dream come true for me...i will certainly squeeze those corypha's in our home garden_that's for shure..no matter even if it blocks the front elevation of our house !

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear redant  :)

i agree that they appear as a normal fan palm on steroids but the leaves look very close to livistonia type than the sabal in their colouration and its rigidity...

thanks for visiting & writing your comments...

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 months later...

Great pics Kris. C.umbraculifera is certainly king of the Corypha's. Can the sealing wax be grown in Bangalore. I went to Maduari (spelling) in Tamil Nadu many years back and remember seeing many Borassus and the odd Corypha. Then went up the Nilligris( again spelling) Hills and saw Caryota Urens and betel nut plantations. It was great.

Thank you for the postings

Regards

Brod

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

Thanks for the great pics Kris!

I just love the corypha and waiting to see mine growing that size!

I just got my seeds to germinate a month ago.. long way to go!!!  :P

(brodklop @ Mar. 17 2008,21:58)

Great pics Kris. C.umbraculifera is certainly king of the Corypha's. Can the sealing wax be grown in Bangalore. I went to Maduari (spelling) in Tamil Nadu many years back and remember seeing many Borassus and the odd Corypha. Then went up the Nilligris( again spelling) Hills and saw Caryota Urens and betel nut plantations. It was great.

Thank you for the postings

Regards

Brod

Dear Brod Northwood  :)

thanks and yes the talipot palms are really king amoung the fan palms,and if you go to banglore you must see them...this just reattriated my desire to grow then in our house garden..inspite i do not have much needed space..

And in banglore nurseries do sell them(red stem palm) but i have never seen them grown in any of houses or parks their ! :(

i suppose you have visited most of Tamil Nadu,and have you see the borassus big form,in coastal regions..they put out big fruits & the trunk is a bit heavy than the regulars ones..

but the sealing wax palms grow great in our chennai climate and i have one clump growing in our house too.. :)

lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Palmetro @ Mar. 17 2008,22:34)

Thanks for the great pics Kris!

I just love the corypha and waiting to see mine growing that size!

I just got my seeds to germinate a month ago.. long way to go!!!  :P

Dear Christian Niebla  :)

iam very happy that you enjoyed it..since whenever i see beautiful things around..i often feel that it has to be seen by my buddies..thanks to techonology(Camera)..since what i saw there i could capture it for you all to see & enjoy !  :)

And i have 3 Talipot palms,one saplings was purschased and the other 2 were raised from the seeds from rps.

all the three are growing like crazy and love our south indian coastal climate ! check my other palm maintanence post to see them..

i suppose in just 12 to 16 years i think it will put a trunk in the given climatic condition.since we are more warmer than banglore(Lal Bagh)...

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 months later...

Bump !

for the sake of new spanish speaking friends...who have just joined our forum !

love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris!

NOW you're cookin' as we say!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 months later...
Dear Norm Scott :)

I hope you enjoyed this coverage...

Lots of love,

Kris,

I know Norm. He lives in Kailua and had a huge Corypha in his yard until it flowered, seeded, and died. I've enjoyed a few cold beers with him a few years ago.

Wai`anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

• 4 weeks later...
IMG_2195.jpg

Kris,

I have a friend who just returned from India. He was trying to describe a palm there. The Corypha was not it, but his jaw dropped when he saw this picture.

So, thanks again for sharing.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 2 months later...

Dear Keith :)

Any stills of that palm which your friend described ? :hmm: Since in india we have the palmyras,phoenix sylversteris,royals,fishtails as common grown ones & while the corypha's are rarely seen in private gardens...

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 years later...

The palm looks very interesting and I would like to add this on to our collection of palms at garfield park Conservatory here in Chicago. I can not recollect whether I have seen this while on collection tours in 1969, 70 71.Any way currently am a manager for about 6 display housesincluding palm house, fern house, aroid house, desert house, childrens garden and a sugar from the sun exhibit. All these houses are in about 2 acres of land covered by glass and climatically controlled for round the yearb display to public.

koch Unni

• Upvote 1

I'm absolutely in awe of Coryphas, such incredible palms and I never tire of seeing pictures of them. It's a shame that some of those seen in this post look very constrained by the dense canopy of the trees above them, I'd hack down those evil trees and let the Coryphas shine!

More pics please!!

Mark.

• Upvote 1

Mark Peters

Indoor palm grower

Monifieth, near Dundee

Scotland's sunny NE coast

Dear Friends  :)

Around last week this time i was in banglore and i had been to these gardens when i was a kid but now after having & getting some valuable training from this forum,now my visit to this garden situated in the heart of banglore city(Karnataka State) from where both my grand parents hail was like a total pilgrimage to me.i enjoyed ever plant seen there and i will do a lal Bagh exclusive in days to come but here i have delt with Few Corypha's like Tali pot palms & Lecomteei..

And i hope Corypha fans enjoy the visuals,Clayton,bo,Waykool,Jim,Chris,Dave....hope you all like it !  :)

Love,

Kris.

Kris,

I want you to take a look of the pictures of our double coconut that I have posted under Lodoicia in the discussing section. You may even consult with any professors whom you might know. Post your comments.

Koch Unni

• Upvote 1

The palm looks very interesting and I would like to add this on to our collection of palms at garfield park Conservatory here in Chicago. I can not recollect whether I have seen this while on collection tours in 1969, 70 71.Any way currently am a manager for about 6 display housesincluding palm house, fern house, aroid house, desert house, childrens garden and a sugar from the sun exhibit. All these houses are in about 2 acres of land covered by glass and climatically controlled for round the yearb display to public.

koch Unni

Dear Koch Unni

Welcome to our forum and its great to have you interact with us.

I'm absolutely in awe of Coryphas, such incredible palms and I never tire of seeing pictures of them. It's a shame that some of those seen in this post look very constrained by the dense canopy of the trees above them, I'd hack down those evil trees and let the Coryphas shine!

More pics please!!

Mark.

Dear Mark

Very glad to know you too love these corypha palms,and As and when i come across these palms i will try to post stills of these beauties...

Love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif