• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Will these dates be edible when mature

Twill17

So I bought my house in 2020. Previous owners were a bit eccentric and planted way more palms, cacti, shrubs, trees etc than you would ever need. Fast forward to 2024 and this date palm just started to produce fruit. I am not sure if these are the edible variety of dates. Climate wise, it is Phoenix AZ which means intense heat in the summers, very dry, and mild winters. 

Can I eat these once mature? And also recommendations for care (how much water, how often, etc)

Thank you!

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMG_0711.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

IMG_0709.jpeg

Where is Cave Creek?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Fruit from the Phoenix sylvestris, (your tree) would be edible,but not like the medjool type you're probably thinking of. There just is very little fruit covering the seed.🤷‍♂️ 

Waterwise,a deep soaking (50 gallons) every other week April thru November,then whatever nature provides over the winter is more than adequate.:greenthumb: 

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona 

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Aztropic, is there a name for the variety of dates I will get? 

2 hours ago, Twill17 said:

Aztropic, is there a name for the variety of dates I will get? 

Your tree is a Phoenix sylvestris. They are an ornamental palm,never grown for their fruit.

The date species commercially grown for its fruit is Phoenix dactylifera. There are dozens of named varieties. Some common ones are medjool,zahidi,deglet noor,and black sphinx. ASU has an edible date farm at their power road campus (old Williams AFB) with many edible varieties being trialed. 

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona 

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year