• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this palm planted too close to the fence?

Fusca

Many people plant palms without realizing how large they ultimately get!  I've seen this a lot with Phoenix canariensis here in Texas.  They're often sold (or used to be) in 10-gal pot which look really good at that size and folks plant as if they're not going to get bigger.  Post photos of poorly placed palms that you have come across.

IMG_20240523_141618331_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240523_141711889_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Wow that’s not even a question of if it’s planted too close, it’s a question of how much cutting am I gonna have to do to get that fence out from around that palm lol

Whoever uses a chainsaw on that thing in hopefully the really really distant future, is gonna have an unpleasant surprise.

Palms - Adonidia merillii1 Bismarckia nobilis, 2 Butia odorataBxJ1 BxJxBxS1 BxSChamaerops humilis1 Chambeyronia macrocarpa1 Hyophorbe lagenicaulis1 Hyophorbe verschaffeltiiLivistona chinensis1 Livistona nitida, 1 Phoenix canariensis3 Phoenix roebeleniiRavenea rivularis1 Rhapis excelsa1 Sabal bermudanaSabal palmetto4 Syagrus romanzoffianaTrachycarpus fortunei4 Washingtonia robusta1 Wodyetia bifurcata
Total: 41

I took this picture back in November 2022...I need to stop by that house and see if it's still there.  Clearly they have no idea how big a Bismarck grows...

20221115_165414Bismarckhorrendoussiting.thumb.jpg.d00b4cf9c75776717afe872142ba1bda.jpg

• Like 4

Yikes! Palm neglect.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

I took this picture back in November 2022...I need to stop by that house and see if it's still there.  Clearly they have no idea how big a Bismarck grows...

20221115_165414Bismarckhorrendoussiting.thumb.jpg.d00b4cf9c75776717afe872142ba1bda.jpg

Yes, I've seen CIDP planted in just such a space except with a roof!  They delayed quite a few years before the poor palm forced the homeowner to take it out.  I bet this homeowner wanted to provide shade for the window.  😄

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

25 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

In fairness, I could see how this could be an awesome planting in 20 years if this is a patient homeowner who wants a bismarckia prominently exposed above his roofline and a visually imposing trunk occupying the space between those walls, and is willing to trim back the house side until that happens.

My guess, however, is that is not what is going on here at all. lol

• Upvote 1