• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ummph, then poof...nothing

old Mike

I got these two plam trees in Statesboro Georgia on the "I'm just a out dead rack".  I transplanted them into 15 gallon grow bags inside a pot. I fertilized them and they started to put new growth out. About 45 days or so.  They get watered once a day for 5 minutes,  & have good drainage. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I think they are a fan palm, maybe a Washington palm.

TIA

Old Mike

20240531_155112.jpg

20240531_155106.jpg

20240531_155039.jpg

20240531_155031.jpg

20240531_155008.jpg

20240531_155004.jpg

20240531_154956.jpg

One looks like it has a viable green spear coming out. The other, not so much. Maybe you could trim away the completely dead fronds to fully expose the viable parts of both palms for diagnosis. I believe the messier palm needs a tug on its spear as a next step. New pictures after clean up will help us help you.

Zone 6b maritime climate

Yes, they appear to be Washingtonia palms. 

• Like 1

Two more images after I peeled back the fronds

20240531_185243.jpg

20240531_185325.jpg

Yes, Washingtonias. Red looks viable and needs time and good care. I would trim all remaining dead material away on that one. Blue looks bad. Give the remaining fronds a tug to see if they come out easily. 

Zone 6b maritime climate

I pulled all the fronds that would come off easily.  Let's put it this way,  I didn't put on any gloves which would have given me the ability to pull harder. So, what I pulled off is what you see.

So, any suggestions would help. I'm no expert when it comes to palms. When I saw them I figured I could save them.  

Trim all dead material from the red one. Give it sunshine and water, making sure not to overwater. The blue one looks gone. I don't see a spear. Normally folks here would recommend cutting the trunk, starting top down in increments, until you find viable growth in the center. This would be after a good pull on any visible dead spear or remaining fronds.

Zone 6b maritime climate

Thanks, I'll do all that. I'm going to leave the blue one as is until winter.  If anything changes I'll celebrate,  if not, I'll send it on its way.   Maybe on a road trip to Florida,  I can find someone willing to let me dig one up. They grow like weeds an hour or two from here.  

What zone are you? 

Zone 6b maritime climate

I'm in zone 8A,  50 miles from the coast

SmartSelect_20240601_172802_Chrome.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, old Mike said:

I'm in zone 8A,  50 miles from the coast

SmartSelect_20240601_172802_Chrome.png

The new USDA map has Bulloch County in zone 8b into 9a. Planting the red container palm might be worth a try if you can.

GA300_HS.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palms - Adonidia merillii1 Bismarckia nobilis, 2 Butia odorataBxJ1 BxJxBxS1 BxSChamaerops humilis1 Chambeyronia macrocarpa1 Hyophorbe lagenicaulis1 Hyophorbe verschaffeltiiLivistona chinensis1 Livistona nitida, 1 Phoenix canariensis3 Phoenix roebeleniiRavenea rivularis1 Rhapis excelsa1 Sabal bermudanaSabal palmetto4 Syagrus romanzoffianaTrachycarpus fortunei4 Washingtonia robusta1 Wodyetia bifurcata
Total: 41

You have a lot of good palm options for your locale 🙂 . @WSimpson is the man for the palms you have now. 

Zone 6b maritime climate

Wow, global warming, hmm. I have citrus planted and doing well. Some of my neighbors have palms. I had a 40" cabbage palm that was planted by someone within 2 feet of the house. I called a few places and they said they wouldn't move it because they couldn't get the equipment close enough and were worried that the roots went under the house. It broke my h eart to have it cut down.  I want UT to get healthy before I move it out into the wild. 

• Like 1

Your zone map looks like the 1990 version. This included the 1970s that were generally cold and the the two record-setting freezes of the mid-1980s. Just put those two robustas outside and water each day. Wait a month or two. Nothing lost at this point.