• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

white stuff on windmill palm

parishilton

i got this windmill palm in early may this year. about 2 weeks ago it got these white spots overnight, all over the fronds (not on the underside or anything) and it hasn’t gotten any worse or better. i can wipe it off with my nail too. it’s not raised either. i asked reddit and i got that it’s i forget how to spell it but the t stuff that protects the palm or something. someone else said a disease. so i went to the garden store and asked them what disease it is and he said it’s not a disease and that it’s from transplant shock. i asked can i just wipe it off with a paper towel and he said yes so i did that. but id like a confirmation to know and i need this to end once and for all. i attached some pictures.

ps whats even weirder is that this palm really showed no signs of distress from transplanting as it started opening the spear and is now pushing a new spear out. 

IMG_5651.jpeg

IMG_5650.jpeg

IMG_5945.jpeg

IMG_5944.jpeg

IMG_5943.jpeg

Does not look like disease. Favor leaf deposits from production or normal shedding. I would wipe the fronds with a damp cloth and observe. Keep us updated on your palm's progress after you wipe.

Zone 6b maritime climate

4 minutes ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Does not look like disease. Favor leaf deposits from production or normal shedding. I would wipe the fronds with a damp cloth and observe. Keep us updated on your palm's progress after you wipe.

i wiped as much as i could when i got home. the fronds are curled a bit today since it was warm and it seems to not like when it goes above like 83 for some reason but i got most of it off. im gonna check tonight to see if it comes back. is it a problem at all and how normal is it? i don’t want it to come back bc its kinda ugly and gross looking since it looks like a disease 

Please share a daytime pictures tomorrow, including the whole palm.  Trachys tolerate some heat but love moderate temps. Curled fronds make me concerned, so I'm curious to see additional pics.

Zone 6b maritime climate

8 minutes ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Please share a daytime pictures tomorrow, including the whole palm.  Trachys tolerate some heat but love moderate temps. Curled fronds make me concerned, so I'm curious to see additional pics.

IMG_5946.thumb.jpeg.e45b861713f1b37a3bc103092817b777.jpegthis was today after i wiped the fronds to my best ability

Up close and whole palm daytime pics please.

Zone 6b maritime climate

9 minutes ago, Leelanau Palms said:

okay i’ll try not to forget tomorrow 

19 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

lmk if more are needed

IMG_5973.jpeg

IMG_5972.jpeg

IMG_5971.jpeg

IMG_5970.jpeg

IMG_5969.jpeg

IMG_5968.jpeg

It looks really good! You could follow up with a shower from the hose and then observe. Keep the grass away from the trunk and create a mulch circle around your palm.

Zone 6b maritime climate

3 minutes ago, Leelanau Palms said:

It looks really good! You could follow up with a shower from the hose and then observe. Keep the grass away from the trunk and create a mulch circle around your palm.

omg fr periodd look at her go😍 i alr put mulch so should i put more? and i tried ripping the grass out but that won’t work bc my native soil wouldn’t separate from the grass enough to backfill it so i just put the grass blocks back like a puzzle LMAO so idk how to rip it out without ruining it. and also like do you mean shower like shower the whole thing (fronds included) or just water it like normal tonight. also what do i do if the white stuff comes back? 

Give the fronds a good shower. If you cannot pull the grass out manually to create a 2-3 foot diameter circle, you could consider carefully spraying an herbicide to get the job done. Your call.  The grass competes with the palm meaningfully. A 2-3 inch deep layer of mulch is sufficient--try to keep it like 3 inches away from the trunk 

Zone 6b maritime climate

5 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Give the fronds a good shower. If you cannot pull the grass out manually to create a 2-3 foot diameter circle, you could consider carefully spraying an herbicide to get the job done. Your call.  The grass competes with the palm meaningfully. A 2-3 inch deep layer of mulch is sufficient--try to keep it like 3 inches away from the trunk 

i’ll try ripping it out first and see how that goes and good thing i have tons of mulch left over! hoping for the best with this palm 

6 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

so i just looked at the picture of the fronds from when i first got it and they are definitely curled idk why tho? it hasn’t been even that hot tbh. i’ll show you 

IMG_6010.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

Your palm looks healthy. Your palm was likely grown in greenhouse or controlled conditions prior to sale, where there is less light, wind, and dryness. The fronds can tighten up in response to more light, drier air, and wind. Additionally, transplant shock with decreased root function can result in this appearance. 

• Like 2

Zone 6b maritime climate

1 hour ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Your palm looks healthy. Your palm was likely grown in greenhouse or controlled conditions prior to sale, where there is less light, wind, and dryness. The fronds can tighten up in response to more light, drier air, and wind. Additionally, transplant shock with decreased root function can result in this appearance. 

so do you think it will adapt soon and have a better appearance? i also think im gonna buy another bc i realized i have a really good spot for it so i wanna experiment 

This is an adaption already 🙂👍. It looks good. Be patient and give it good care. We'll be here to help keep an eye on it 🤠

Zone 6b maritime climate

i’ll update in a few weeks maybe. i also did just totally accidentally buy another palm for a science experiment 🤣

Accidents happen. Congratulations! We believe in enabling here.

Zone 6b maritime climate

2 minutes ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Accidents happen. Congratulations! We believe in enabling here.

yeah it was like a palm demon came over me and forced me to add it to my cart and double tap my lock button to accidentally confirm the purchase like how does that even happen?? sooo weird…

It's Palmtalk....we read your mind 🥸

Zone 6b maritime climate

omg i had a very scary dream that my palm was dead it died from rot like it was squishy except the trunk was a sago palm trunk. sago windmill hybrid jfc that would so ugly. i already hate my sago palm bc it’s ugly i can’t imagine it mixed with windmill 

Dreaming about palms....a whole new level. I am not worthy?!? 

Zone 6b maritime climate

nah ig not. ofc it wasn’t a good dream tho why can’t i have a dream of it being fully grown or sum so i can have a vision of what it’d look like i don’t get it. and the new palm is coming tomorrow😍 that company is actually so fast with the delivery not sure if it’s bc im only 9 hours away or if they’re just fast 

You won't need to the dream the good dream, because it's gonna be reality 🙂

Zone 6b maritime climate

I think this is just tomentum

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

You won't need to the dream the good dream, because it's gonna be reality 🙂

i hope so. i remember people on reddit (the arborist subreddit) said it wouldn’t survive at all but people on reddit seem to not know anything except when they do

this is gonna be its home tmr😍😍 also tf why can’t i change my pfp why is every single picture too large i don’t get 

IMG_6109.jpeg

2 hours ago, parishilton said:

i hope so. i remember people on reddit (the arborist subreddit) said it wouldn’t survive at all but people on reddit seem to not know anything except when they do

Congrats on the palms.  It will need winter protection where you are.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

yes ik. with most of our winters here it needs very little protection during the winter as in like for a short period of time but that’s once it matured a bit 

omg you’re gonna hate me i harass you everyday but i walked past the spot where im gonna plant the new one to go water my weeping willow and i realized the laundry vent is on top of it. that’ll be fine right pls tell me it will. i’ll show you

its like maybe above the hose but it’s all the way on the roof but you can still smell it but the vent is still pointed down 

IMG_6120.jpeg

IMG_6109.jpeg

Don't think the vent will be a big deal.....depending on how often you do laundry 😇

• Like 1

Zone 6b maritime climate

i actually realized it might be a good thing if the chemicals don’t kill it since heat comes out of the vent so i can assume it might warm up the immediate area a bit. but yeah its not laundry is happening everyday so yeah

here she is!!! i’ll give you better pics tomorrow but i have to show you today. this one is definitely bigger than the last one with way more fronds 

IMG_6145.jpeg

IMG_6140.jpeg

• Like 1

i'm thinkin it needs disco lights....

Zone 6b maritime climate

omg this HOE is already throwing a tantrum with these curled fronds. i didn’t realize how shady the area i planted it is (it will be less shady when it outgrows the house which won’t take much bc it’s by the shorter roof). hopefully that will be good for it since i’m assuming it gets like 2 hours of direct sun and then the rest of the day it has a view of the blue sky. hopefully it will like that especially bc our summers does have its moments where it gets hot tbh. like this friday it’s gonna be 94 all the sudden which isn’t normal but does happen. so hopefully this shady area will help it do better and establish more for the winter ❤️

Look forward to updated pics of both palms as they settle in

Zone 6b maritime climate

how often do you want updates besides me harassing you with every problem this thing gives me

Guess we can follow your new thread on both.

Zone 6b maritime climate