• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Slowly making progress with the yard.

RJ

Finally making some visible progress on the front yard, the details are what always take time. This is new construction so I had a completely clean slate. First project was to deal with water. Anyone who lives in the south east knows how hard it can rain, my house being a ranch I’ve got a lot of roof, and having a basement I want the water shed far away. So, in went down spout drains to daylight the water into the woods. I did the back and front yard and put down about 500’ of 4” pvc pipe. Once that was done I could start on my plater beds along the front of the house. The stone pathway to the front of the house is still a work in progress , I just needed a mental break from it. It goes painfully slow. Before putting all that in I had to prep for irrigation, two sprinkler zones and one drip for the front yard.  Lots of 1” pvc pipe went down, no idea how much I used.  Once that was done I could start thinking lawn and raised planter beds, trucked in 80 tons of topsoil and 40 tons compost. To work I went. 

I’m not sure how to insert pics in order, but here goes nothing. 😆

IMG_2816-compressed.jpeg

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3373.jpeg

IMG_3379.jpeg

IMG_3392.jpeg

IMG_3312.jpeg

IMG_3687.jpeg

• Like 7

Once that is done the planting begins. IMG_3766.thumb.jpeg.60f420771f1b81f52ecd011f9d227bbb.jpeg

IMG_3768.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3779.jpeg

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3786.jpeg

IMG_3800.jpeg

IMG_3799.jpeg

IMG_3773.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

• Like 9

In that planter , in no particular order, sabal causiarum, , bjxs (super mule 😆) , yatay mule, yatayxbs, Jubaea x yatay, few different oddball sabal’s , and minors, and a couple med fan palms and a butia eriospatha . Enjoy the WIP.  Still lots to do to catch up to @DAVEinMB😮‍💨

oh yeah that a Paraná pine , one of 3 planted. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

That's a tremendous amount of work. I'm tired just thinking about it. All your hard work has paid off already. Lookin' great.

• Like 1

@RJ that's a gorgeous layout, I'm excited to see the progress over time 🤙

• Like 1

At some point could you provide labeled pictures so we can see which palm is which?

Zone 6b maritime climate

12 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

At some point could you provide labeled pictures so we can see which palm is which?

Will do. Put a saribus and a chinensis in the ground today as well as two more small sabal’s. Unfortunately the labels have faded away.. mystery palms 😂

• Like 1

I think you and I are in the same boat.  My house isn't new but the yard had nothing but grass.  It's a ton of work in the beginning isn't it?  I'm about burnt out for the year and it's getting real hot.

6 hours ago, Chester B said:

I think you and I are in the same boat.  My house isn't new but the yard had nothing but grass.  It's a ton of work in the beginning isn't it?  I'm about burnt out for the year and it's getting real hot.

It’s getting hot here too, 90’s. It was 77 when I went to work at 4:00 am this morning. It sure is a lot of work but very rewarding. I’ve had dozens and dozens of palm in pots for years, hauling them in when it gets cold. It’s a relief to get them in the ground. Today has been finishing the drip irrigation up. Installed another raised bed, and mulched it. planted a few more sabal’s and some tropical looking companion plants. I’ve gone through 10 yards of mulch and ran out… need to order up some more. 

• Like 2

Where do we buy tour tickets? 😁

Zone 6b maritime climate

17 hours ago, RJ said:

It’s getting hot here too, 90’s. It was 77 when I went to work at 4:00 am this morning. It sure is a lot of work but very rewarding. I’ve had dozens and dozens of palm in pots for years, hauling them in when it gets cold. It’s a relief to get them in the ground. Today has been finishing the drip irrigation up. Installed another raised bed, and mulched it. planted a few more sabal’s and some tropical looking companion plants. I’ve gone through 10 yards of mulch and ran out… need to order up some more. 

Yeah I went through 10 yards of mulch too plus a few dozen bags.  It's breaking down real fast though with all the heat and rain we've been getting.  I put it down about 4" thick.  Getting those plants in the ground will be so much easier to care for them, plants in pots are a real PITA.  Looking forward to seeing your place develop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

Yeah I went through 10 yards of mulch too plus a few dozen bags.  It's breaking down real fast though with all the heat and rain we've been getting.  I put it down about 4" thick.  Getting those plants in the ground will be so much easier to care for them, plants in pots are a real PITA.  Looking forward to seeing your place develop.

Same with your place. You’ve got much more experience than I do , so I’ll be watching your progress closely, especially now that we’re in similar climates, but your a zone warmer. 

• Like 1

These byo paradise threads are some of my favorite Would have loved a pic of your 80 tons of topsoil etc... to get a real sense of a before and after. I enjoy working at night as well during the summer though the 4 AM slot is not in the cards for me.  I'll be following this thread!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swolte said:

These byo paradise threads are some of my favorite Would have loved a pic of your 80 tons of topsoil etc... to get a real sense of a before and after. I enjoy working at night as well during the summer though the 4 AM slot is not in the cards for me.  I'll be following this thread!

Wait till I do the back and size yards.  Back yard is on hold, we’re debating a pool and hate to make it all pretty only to have to tear into it. 

• Like 1