• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Blank Slate

Josue Diaz

Just signed for this lot a few miles north of me in Ranchos Madera - and while it will be several years before we make the move to build, I will probably start planting a few things. Unlike my current home, this area is outside of the "urban heat bubble" which lets me get away with some tender stuff in Fresno, I think most of what I can plant here will have to withstand some pretty tough heat and frost. Thinking I might start with a few Jubaea :) 

613382_17_0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I grow it in Fresno just fine, but a few years ago another PTer who lived in this area lost his to a pretty "mild" cold front. Mine in Fresno was untouched. His were torched - even under canopy. 

1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

How about Jubaeopsis?

3 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Just signed for this lot a few miles north of me in Ranchos Madera - and while it will be several years before we make the move to build, I will probably start planting a few things. Unlike my current home, this area is outside of the "urban heat bubble" which lets me get away with some tender stuff in Fresno, I think most of what I can plant here will have to withstand some pretty tough heat and frost. Thinking I might start with a few Jubaea :) 

613382_17_0.jpg

Congrats!  That's definitely a blank slate which means the eventual layout is going to be totally unique.. 

While the future location might not be quite as warm as at the house, esp. since there is no tree cover present,  looks like you'll still be in 9B, and once you get some tree canopy up, i'd bet you'll be able to work in some tender stuff there as well..  Another 20 years from now, you might be straddling the 9b / 10A border anyway so..

That said, for the time being, can see anything that does well here or in Tucson doing well there:  Brahea - anything,  Sabal, < S. uresana obviously >  Nannorrhops..

You might not ever plant any but i know if i were in the same situation, i'd already be figuring out how to create some sort of retention basin / pair of.. on either side of a future driveway  close to the road to take advantage of runoff ...so i could grow some Majesties / Royal or two..  Got plenty of space for smaller pond elsewhere too.

Any early thoughts of where a future house might sit on the property?

Regardless,  already see BIG things ahead in the future for that grassy rectangle..  :greenthumb:

The dream begins try lanonia dasyantha chamaedorea radicalis when you have sufficient canopy later on.