• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal offshoots

idontknowhatnametuse

I have a bunch of Sabal yapa in pots that I germinated 2 years ago. Today I noticed one of them had two offshoots coming up, how unusual is this? Could it be a sign of stress? I have never seen something like this happen in Sabals before.

20240612_183359.thumb.jpg.499c3b9b5b3e53849e9539bac6fe60de.jpg

20240612_183332.thumb.jpg.2d465f7333a6a2041e28f2e6317e3f20.jpg

20240612_183343.thumb.jpg.f1007d6c3073bcc9aa20334ab1a23910.jpg

20240612_183350.thumb.jpg.d3438738b5c70b580734ea37d1348f25.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder about additional seeds germinating in the same pot....

Zone 6b maritime climate

Looks like something that has previously been referred to as a ‘doubler’ or ‘dweezle’ by some on Palmtalk. Basically the main growth point has diverted through the side of the stem. The old stem will stop growing new fronds and die over time. 

I had this happen with the closely related Sabal mauritiformis on 2 separate occasions 2 years in a row. It was in Spring both times, so I put it down to crown rot after a long cool winter. It eventually succumbed. 

I think this phenomenon usually occurs from some form of damage to the growth point. Has there been any kind of trauma to the palm? If you treat it well, the new stem could still grow into a healthy palm. 

• Like 3

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

3 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Looks like something that has previously been referred to as a ‘doubler’ or ‘dweezle’ by some on Palmtalk. Basically the main growth point has diverted through the side of the stem. The old stem will stop growing new fronds and die over time. 

I had this happen with the closely related Sabal mauritiformis on 2 separate occasions 2 years in a row. It was in Spring both times, so I put it down to crown rot after a long cool winter. It eventually succumbed. 

I think this phenomenon usually occurs from some form of damage to the growth point. Has there been any kind of trauma to the palm? If you treat it well, the new stem could still grow into a healthy palm. 

The principal palm has been growing really fast between these last 2 years. I don't see damage in it at all. I am tempted to put it in the ground to see if it grows as a triple.

• Like 1

This happened to me a few years ago with an in ground Sabal 'Riverside'.  Not sure what caused it but it grew just fine from the second growth point.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

8 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

I wonder about additional seeds germinating in the same pot....

Seedlings would show up as strap leaves, not the structures shown. My bad.

Zone 6b maritime climate