• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The King Kong Palm, Does anybody have a picture of this palm.

carmen

Last week I went to the sale at the USF Botanical Gardens.  I met Steve from Exotic Palms who used to be in Homestead and is now living in Crystal River.  I bought a few palms from him but one in particular he said that it was unique because there was one at Universal Studios that is called the King Kong Palm.  I would love to see a picture of it.  

Carmen

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carmen said:

Last week I went to the sale at the USF Botanical Gardens.  I met Steve from Exotic Palms who used to be in Homestead and is now living in Crystal River.  I bought a few palms from him but one in particular he said that it was unique because there was one at Universal Studios that is called the King Kong Palm.  I would love to see a picture of it.  

Carmen

I have heard people use this as a common name for Caryota obtusa in the past, also called the giant fishtail palm.  I don't have recent photos on my phone to share but you can do a search for them in the forum for discussing pal. Trees and will find plenty of photos of Caryota obtusa.   An older synonym is also Caryota gigas,  which was the name used when I got mine over 20 years ago.  It is important to be aware that this genus is monocarpic, or dies after flowering.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

14 hours ago, carmen said:

... I bought a few palms from him but one in particular he said that it was unique because there was one at Universal Studios that is called the King Kong Palm. ...

Did the palm come with a binomial name on a tag? It sounds like a Giant Fishtail but the scientific name could confirm it.

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

On 6/17/2024 at 10:18 PM, carmen said:

Carmen

From what I'd heard at the Summer CFPACS Meeting, Steve Stern moved his nursery (Exotic Palms) to that area. 

On PlantAnt, the nursery is still listed at the Homestead address:

https://www.plantant.com/nursery-availability/1005644/steve-stern-s-exotic-palms

image.png.4593c82a02a50b3cdb37d3d4339d2d43.png

A quick internet search yielded a different address in Inglis, north of Crystal River:

image.thumb.png.1d0368d02a2a3aa65ff911d6ab118965.png

You'll probably have better luck calling and asking or messaging on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/p/Exotic-Palms-100048677534289/?_rdr

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

My Caryota Gigas is more like Diddy Kong. Picked it up in April from MB Palms in Orlando and it went straight in the ground. Since then steadily been pushing a new spear. Heard they were slow to get established then take off into giants 

IMG_4724.jpeg

• Like 1

In So Cal, King Kong is a very common name for Caryota gigas/obtusa.

3fd7481ddbbf8c61f0c2c2928d910f16.jpg

337px-Caryota_gigas_Ralph_04.jpg

4630194972_219x274.jpg

index.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Keep in mind this thing will turn into a gargantuan, rock hard totem pole, then flower and die.  They’re awesome - but make sure that’s what you want lol