• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Windmill Palm sick?

Colin1110082

Hello, now I know that the reason why windmill leaflets close is because the soil is bad or they get too much sun, but in my case I don’t know what it is! I water every few days when the soil is dry and they get full sun from 11-2ish and are in miracle grow palm citrus cactus soil. Is there anything I can do to get the leaflets to open up? I just really like a full palm. Also, how much longer until a new spear opens? This spear has grown up, but has stayed shut since maybe mid May it has looked like this. Anyways if there is anything I could do such as fertilizer or anything please let me know.IMG_0978.thumb.jpeg.e06793d82c26e516f2ac3865efd7863f.jpegIMG_0975.thumb.jpeg.697e027a46615628a5e8b0866a61bf58.jpegIMG_0976.thumb.jpeg.df098b4d331ea3223dfb7ede0dc60104.jpegIMG_0977.thumb.jpeg.da9d99a33140871fef421c529e1d9866.jpeg

That's a very small palm in a large container, and I believe that the soil doesn't dry out nearly as fast as you think it does. I'm a big advocate of mixing my own soils for potted palms. Do not rush to "fix" your palm by adding fertilizer (a common assumption). Personally, I'd start with a more aerated soil mixture. If this was recently potted up, expect a period of inactivity while your palm acclimates. These will take full sun, but during the early stages, a half day is more suitable especially during the warmer/hotter days of summer. Overall, it looks healthy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

That's a very small palm in a large container, and I believe that the soil doesn't dry out nearly as fast as you think it does. I'm a big advocate of mixing my own soils for potted palms. Do not rush to "fix" your palm by adding fertilizer (a common assumption). Personally, I'd start with a more aerated soil mixture. If this was recently potted up, expect a period of inactivity while your palm acclimates. These will take full sun, but during the early stages, a half day is more suitable especially during the warmer/hotter days of summer. Overall, it looks healthy.

It has been really hot lately and the first two inches of top soil have been pretty dry. I can slow watering. They were potted up a month ago in 3 gallon containers I got them from palmpeii nursery on etsy and that is what they said to do. I am not good with mixing soils, I have no idea what to add. The seller and a few people on here said that the palm citrus and cactus soil would work fine, it is cheap and easy to get therefore I used it. I’ll wait to fertilize. Thank you for your response 😊