• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chrysaldiocarpus id on palm acquired as Dypsis "Jurassic Park"

Tracy

I got this palm locally and later planted it in March 2016.  I believe it came from Jeff Marcus/Floribunda in 2014.  The first photo is when I planted it in March 2016 from a tall one gallon pot.  Photos of the newest leaf, underside of leaflets and the rachis.  As noted in the title it was labeled as Dypsis "Jurassic Park" when I got it.  Thoughts on whether this matches up with Chrysalidocarpus pilulifera or something else these days?

20160321-104A1175 Chrysalidocarpus Jurassic Park.jpg

20240619-BH3I3722.jpg

20240619-BH3I3723.jpg

20240619-BH3I3756.jpg

20240619-BH3I3720.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I’ll be following this thread too since I believe that I have the same palm but from a different vendor. Similar age but still in a pot so a little behind yours. I’ve been stumped as well and had originally bought my JP thinking it was an Orange Crush since it still looked very similar to those at a 15g size. 

Tracy, do you remember if the leaflets were ever slightly plumose and un evenly spaced on the rachis? The picture from when it was first planted looks like the leaflets are even spaced and on a flat plane. My only experience with C. pilulifera is with the 2 I bought from Floribunda about 18 months ago. They both have longish vertical fronds with random looking leaflets that are slightly plumose. I’ve heard these can be variable though. The leaflets on the 2 I have also seem to be narrower then the one in the pics…maybe? If you want I can get a couple pics of these if you think it’ll help. 

All I know is it’s one beautiful palm well done.

22 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

Tracy, do you remember if the leaflets were ever slightly plumose and un evenly spaced on the rachis? The picture from when it was first planted looks like the leaflets are even spaced and on a flat plane. My only experience with C. pilulifera is with the 2 I bought from Floribunda about 18 months ago. They both have longish vertical fronds with random looking leaflets that are slightly plumose. I’ve heard these can be variable though. The leaflets on the 2 I have also seem to be narrower then the one in the pics…maybe? If you want I can get a couple pics of these if you think it’ll help. 

As with many palms, characteristics have changed as the palm has gotten older.  Yes, when it was young, the leaflets were mostly arranged in a flat plane, with little variation in the grouping of the leaflets.  That has changed with more grouping of leaflets and it has become slightly plumose, but nothing like my Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus.  I would always encourage someone to share photos if they think they will be insightful or if they have a related question about their palm.  Due to the changes that occur as palms mature, I'm hoping for feedback regarding more mature palms that had similar characteristics to mine when they were at this stage of development to see what they look like now and if the id has been confirmed with more age.

Photo below is the previous leaf to open.  It is a little funky as the twist in the leaf has the tip portion having the abaxial side of the leaflets pointing skyward instead of toward the ground.

20231022-BH3I2664.jpg

• Like 3

@Tracy I figured you were looking for info  on a palm in a similar stage to yours but figured I throw in my 2 cents. Hopefully not too many pics.

Hardly a positive ID but.. Notice on the guy in the ground that the frond is twisted with the abaxial side facing up.  

IMG_3936.jpeg

IMG_3937.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

IMG_3939.jpeg

IMG_3940.jpeg

IMG_3943.jpeg

IMG_3941.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

…..I would always encourage someone to share photos if they think they will be insightful or if they have a related question about their palm. 

20231022-BH3I2664.jpg

@Tracy I had a phone conversation with Jeff nearly a year ago about this and he flat out told me the palm he currently sells as Chrysalidocarpus Pilulifera was previously sold as Jurassic Park.  I bought a 1G Pilulifera and it looks similar to what @Rob123 has albeit smaller. 

-dale

IMG_1496.thumb.jpeg.4ee90862e41154e5f56cbd8395e06a1c.jpeg

• Like 3

I’m not 100%, but it looks about right for what is now confirmed as Chrysalidocarpus pilulifer. C pilulifer was previous known as D ‘Jurassic Park’ so I’d say it’s likely. My C ‘pilulifer’ looks a bit different but I’m guessing it’s a hybrid with something like madagascariensis. It’s very plumose and already has a stem above ground rather than the fronds coming from ground level until a large size. 

IMG_1339.jpeg

• Like 3

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

15 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

@Tracy I figured you were looking for info  on a palm in a similar stage to yours but figured I throw in my 2 cents. Hopefully not too many pics.

Hardly a positive ID but.. Notice on the guy in the ground that the frond is twisted with the abaxial side facing up.  

IMG_3936.jpeg

IMG_3937.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

IMG_3939.jpeg

IMG_3940.jpeg

IMG_3943.jpeg

IMG_3941.jpeg

The palm you are growing looks like it is much more plumose and the leaflets are quite a bit more staggered/grouped than my specimen was at a similar age.  It also looks quite different from the examples Rob and Dale shared, which both actually look similar to mine when of similar size to theirs.  Leaflet length to width ratio is both shorter length and wider on your specimen.

Nice Chrysalidocarpus specimen but it does appear different to me from mine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I’m not 100%, but it looks about right for what is now confirmed as Chrysalidocarpus pilulifer. C pilulifer was previous known as D ‘Jurassic Park’ so I’d say it’s likely. My C ‘pilulifer’ looks a bit different but I’m guessing it’s a hybrid with something like madagascariensis. It’s very plumose and already has a stem above ground rather than the fronds coming from ground level until a large size. 

IMG_1339.jpeg

Tim I concur with your conclusion that your plant is likely a hybrid in that it is already forming above ground trunk.  Mine is still a ways off from an above ground trunk.

Here are photos addressing my previous comment on the ratio of leaflet length to width, my Rainbow 🌈 sandal for perspective.   I also am sharing a full Monty to show the length of the latest leaves to open which are easily 10' long, the newest reaching out and over a walkway the over my garage. 

20240621_080204.jpg

20240621_080244.jpg

20240621_080356.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I started wondering if maybe I mixed these up with something else somehow. So I went back to try and verify that I hadn't mislabeled these and after looking at the pics I’m pretty sure these are the same palms. They are still wearing their D pilulifera (now C pilulifer) labels from back in April 2022. Quite a few websites on the internet list Dypsis pilulifera as “Orange Crush Palm” including Rare Palm Seeds. Could the palms you guys shared pics of be Sp orange crush? Looking at pics on Palmpedia for C. Pilulifer it seems like the two I’m growing share a couple of the characteristics with those such as the semi plumose arrangement and the inconsistent leaflet grouping. Just a guess from my limited experience and because now I’m trying to verify the ID for what I’ve got here 🙂

IMG_3946.jpeg

15 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

I started wondering if maybe I mixed these up with something else somehow. So I went back to try and verify that I hadn't mislabeled these and after looking at the pics I’m pretty sure these are the same palms. They are still wearing their D pilulifera (now C pilulifer) labels from back in April 2022. Quite a few websites on the internet list Dypsis pilulifera as “Orange Crush Palm” including Rare Palm Seeds. Could the palms you guys shared pics of be Sp orange crush? Looking at pics on Palmpedia for C. Pilulifer it seems like the two I’m growing share a couple of the characteristics with those such as the semi plumose arrangement and the inconsistent leaflet grouping. Just a guess from my limited experience and because now I’m trying to verify the ID for what I’ve got here 🙂

IMG_3946.jpeg

If your palms above came from Floribunda (as it looks like), then the pilulifera ID is referring to the irregular / plumose palm. “Orange Crush” has regular leaflets. The parent plumose Pilulifera is an incredible looking palm, one of my favorites at Floribunda. 

• Upvote 1

Tracy, not sure if it helps but here’s a palm I bought here from Jerry Andersen as “Jurassic Park”.  It’s been pretty slow which is rare in my Pepeekeo garden. 

IMG_1541.thumb.jpeg.1807765f72ef1cf754e7e9039922c311.jpeg

IMG_1542.thumb.jpeg.69cda40c852f6b45d4f76ba434fea4e7.jpeg

IMG_1543.thumb.jpeg.b43837f7824d3f81376fb455b9489ccf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1