• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxtail dying and Pronds not opening

Michael H

Hello all,  I need some help with my Foxtail palms.  I have 3 foxtail- 2 doubles and 1 single.   All 3 palms have fronds that won't open even after all the recent rain in Palmetto, FL.  One of the doubles (see pix) has a crown that appears to have died.  I have been fertilizing with Miracle Grow Shake n Feed for Palms 8-2-12.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do to correct this?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Michael H

20240701_174442.jpg

20240701_174451.jpg

20240701_174459.jpg

20240701_174508.jpg

How long have you had these? When did you plant them? Where did you buy them? 

Frankly, they don't look healthy or promising. They look like they have been under-watered and/or under-fertilized for most of their lives. Their crownshafts are oddly thin. And I don't think it's very easy to rescue a foxtail, although it happens. The one on the left side of your double foxtail in particular looks like it's too far gone. It shouldn't be very hard to grow foxtail palms in Palmetto, FL.  If you bought these at Lowe's or Home Depot and have the receipt you might be able to get your money back. 

If you try any more, don't buy any that don't look good and healthy. Look for dark green leaves and a decently thick crownshaft. Foxtails are known for being somewhat fragile. You don't want to try your luck with one that was neglected at some mediocre nursery. I wouldn't give up on that one on the right quite yet... usually the spear will get as long as the existing fronds before opening up.

• Like 1

Thank you for your response.  I bought the foxtails from a local nursery (no return policy) 15 months ago and they installed.  They looked much better when planted and then we went through a rather dry summer followed by colder winter then normal, but never had a freeze.  They started looking sick towards end of winter.  We added mulch in April hoping that it would help retain moisture.  What do I need to do to get these palms to recover? Thanks again.

Normally I would defer to Floridians to advise you, but the pair is no longer a pair.  The one on the left in your photos is dead.  Did you provide supplemental water during the dry summer after you planted it?  If not watered sufficiently then and it went into a cold winter, the pair of traumas could have triggered the current consequences.   Keep up the water whether it is supplemental or just your normal rain. I will turn it back to those in Florida that have the local climate knowledge to advise you further. 

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks again.  I will do that and look forward to other local FL feedback.  Should I remove the dead palm?  If so,  do I just cut down above roots or need to go further?  Thank you.

@Michael H I would cut the dead one off just above ground level.  Try not to cut any roots from the one that is still alive.  It could be a bud infection or something like Thielaviopsis.  I had several about that size die after a cold winter.  But it doesn't need to get super cold for a palm to get a fungal disease.  Thielaviopsis floats around in the air all the time, and can get into any open wound.  I would check the dead trunk for signs of black fungal rot inside, but do it waaay away from the other one.  If the inside is stringy and black powdery then Thielaviopsis is probably the culprit.

• Upvote 1