• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is happening to Pindo Palm?

PindoPalm

It’s been extremely hot lately temps ranging from 109-118 within the past week as daily highs. The the ends of the fronds and browned significantly in the past few days. I’ve been watering it every 1-2 days. Is the browning caused by heat stresses?

IMG_0172.jpeg

IMG_0171.jpeg

IMG_0170.jpeg

IMG_0169.jpeg

IMG_0168.jpeg

Yes,it is. Also having your palm in a fully exposed black nursery container is probably also cooking the roots. Have you ever put your hand against the sun side of that container at noon? Ouch! 

You have 3 choices that could help your palm survive the summer.

1. Shield that existing pot from any direct sun exposure by wrapping, or by putting that pot into an even bigger one to shield it.

2. 'plant' the existing pot into the ground. It will still be easy to move the plant later on if need be.

3. Plant the tree in the ground already! This is your best option to establish a healthy tree that will grow on for many years in our area. 

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I believe we already warned you about this.  It needs to be planted ASAP.  That's burn and its not going to get any better.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

I believe we already warned you about this.  It needs to be planted ASAP.  That's burn and its not going to get any better.

Thank you for the advice we’re currently moving the rocks out of the way for the palm 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm also growing a pindo myself,still in a pot. Location is such that the container receives no direct sunlight cast upon it,and plant still has zero burn so far,this year. As they say, Location, Location, Location... 😄:shaka-2: 

aztropic 

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20240707_130553928_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Like @aztropic said those nursery pots get like an oven and “bake” the roots . It sounds like you are ready to plant it so that will help . Try to get some shade on that poor thing until it goes in the ground . Harry

• Like 1

Also, Don't get the leaves wet by top watering midday. Water acts like a magnifying glass.

40 minutes ago, SeanK said:

Also, Don't get the leaves wet by top watering midday. Water acts like a magnifying glass.

That is actually more myth than actual truth.. https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2016/06/07/4475079.htm

Still don't recommend watering potted stuff during mid day in our heat. Although rain does so occasionally.

• Upvote 1

@PindoPalm f you can, plant your palm and give regular good drinks of water.

If you can’t plant l it, put it in the shade till you can. It’s HOT in AZ as I know you know.

Keep us apprised of what happens.

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Some shade cloth would help until you can get it in the ground. I know people in Arizona use it quite a bit. 

Way too hot. In addition to watering/drip emitters/shade cloth, consider giving the palm cool showers. Years ago, Jeff Marcus advised me to give summer showers to the palms in my container garden on the back lanai (covered in 2 layers of shade cloth). This is in rainy, humid SWFL. The point is to try to limit heat damage to foliage of my palms. I suspect what goes in FL applies 10x over in an AZ summer.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.