• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chewed Bottle palm

izhar

I planted a bottle palm yesterday but seems like my dog didn't like it and chewed it off. As far as I know palms when cut off at top, don't grow back. Or is there any chance of revival ? 

1720709637757293120365548771397.jpg

Keep it watered as usual. You'll know in a few weeks if new growth emerges. In the mean time keep your dog away to prevent further damage. Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, izhar said:

I planted a bottle palm yesterday but seems like my dog didn't like it and chewed it off. As far as I know palms when cut off at top, don't grow back. Or is there any chance of revival ? 

1720709637757293120365548771397.jpg

I know your dog chewed it but.....thats extremely skinny even for a young bottle palm. Are you sure it was a bottle? As said above keep watered well and honestly i would keep it shaded during this time since bottles arent particularly fond of full sun when young anyways, coupled with being so badly damaged the sun could kill it by burning/drying out the remaining crownshaft.

• Upvote 3

Palms - Adonidia merillii1 Bismarckia nobilis, 2 Butia odorataBxJ1 BxJxBxS1 BxSChamaerops humilis1 Chambeyronia macrocarpa1 Hyophorbe lagenicaulis1 Hyophorbe verschaffeltiiLivistona chinensis1 Livistona nitida, 1 Phoenix canariensis3 Phoenix roebeleniiRavenea rivularis1 Rhapis excelsa1 Sabal bermudanaSabal palmetto4 Syagrus romanzoffianaTrachycarpus fortunei4 Washingtonia robusta1 Wodyetia bifurcata
Total: 41

13 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Keep it watered as usual. You'll know in a few weeks if new growth emerges. In the mean time keep your dog away to prevent further damage. 

Yes I hav covered other palms. Thanks for responding 

13 hours ago, JLM said:

I know your dog chewed it but.....thats extremely skinny even for a young bottle palm. Are you sure it was a bottle? As said above keep watered well and honestly i would keep it shaded during this time since bottles arent particularly fond of full sun when young anyways, coupled with being so badly damaged the sun could kill it by burning/drying out the remaining crownshaft.

Yep it's skinny but they do grow here as I hav some other palms; foxtails , silvers, bottles and Mexican fans and lots of date palms. 

2ndly someone had told me bottle palms are good to go with full sun and dies in cold weather that's why I planted it here. Otherwise my silver palms and foxtails are in pots yet and  beneath a grapes trellis. But I was planning to plant them too in ground near the boundary walls. Guide me please. What to do with remaining bottles fox and silver. 

Mexican palms and date palms are completely in good health. 

This might be one of those common names that are different in other countries.  Bottle palm here in the US is the common name for Hyophorbe lagenicaulis.  @izhar, your palm doesn't show the typical bulge at the base and red colored leaf petioles common to the species.  Here's a photo of some recently germinated Hyophorbe lagenicaulis and they're already showing the color.  Plus a larger palm with even more coloring.

IMG_20240329_161719.thumb.jpg.1aacc69ff1858524b8ce2fce86697cf6.jpg

IMG_20240712_100644928_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

This might be one of those common names that are different in other countries.  Bottle palm here in the US is the common name for Hyophorbe lagenicaulis.  @izhar, your palm doesn't show the typical bulge at the base and red colored leaf petioles common to the species.  Here's a photo of some recently germinated Hyophorbe lagenicaulis and they're already showing the color.  Plus a larger palm with even more coloring.

IMG_20240329_161719.thumb.jpg.1aacc69ff1858524b8ce2fce86697cf6.jpg

IMG_20240712_100644928_HDR.jpg

Ahan thanks for sharing. Let's see what mine grows into. And sharing 2nd type; is it foxtail? 

20240712_210028.jpg

1 hour ago, izhar said:

Thanks for responding 

Yes, @D. Morrowii is correct with the identifications.  Be aware that Bismarckia is very root sensitive.  Do you plan on keeping it in a container or planting it in the ground at some point?  Either way you will need to be very careful when removing it from that container.  If you break some of the roots it could severely stunt the palm's growth or even kill it.  They are very nice palms!  :)

I think the palm in your original post might recover as long as the damage is not too far down.  I hope it does!  Here's a photo of my Hyphaene coriacea seedling that was nibbled to the ground by a rabbit (I suspect).  I need to put some type of cage around it but it's still alive.

IMG_20240712_095816084.jpg

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your input @Fusca. That's very hopeful. But I am thinking of relocating damaged one to other place and planting a healthy one here, to hav symmetry with other palms.

And yes I will eventually plant Bismarckia in a focal point of lawn but I think not yet let it grow 2-3 strends more, as I hav heard bismarckia can tolerate heat. 

Btw I would hav to break the pot carefully to get this Bismarckia out, right ? 

Edited by izhar

51 minutes ago, izhar said:

Thanks for your input @Fusca. That's very hopeful. But I am thinking of relocating damaged one to other place and planting a healthy one here, to hav symmetry with other palms.

And yes I will eventually plant Bismarckia in a focal point of lawn but I think not yet let it grow 2-3 strends more, as I hav heard bismarckia can tolerate heat. 

Btw I would hav to break the pot carefully to get this Bismarckia out, right ? 

Yes, breaking the pot would be the safest way to save the palm.  You might be able to get the palm out without breaking the pot but not if it's been in there a while.  I wouldn't advise moving the chewed palm before it has a chance to recover first.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder