• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

bronxboynyc71

Hey everyone, hope everyone is having a great growing season! This is my annual NYC palm post. This palm just keeps growing. It grows all seasons (including winter) im guessing it's at least 15 feet? My daughter is 5'6. I've seen other windmills but they where in a greenhouse in the Bronx botanical garden.  If anyone has some pics of there east coast palms please post.. thanks in advance... Bobby20240718_183451.thumb.jpg.d58a0d4f04870151948bc12e2f875e43.jpg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 2

The palm looks amazing too!

Thanks for the update. A fine palm !!!

Your palm is gorgeous, Bobby. Good to see you back.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I was wondering about a male too .  Just shake a male inflorescence around the female's  inflorescences and you'll have seed .

Will

I've seen in some instances where a Windmill palm will produce both types of inflorescence, essentially cloning itself.

6 hours ago, SeanK said:

Is there a male palm nearby?

No... concrete jungle

1 hour ago, bronxboynyc71 said:

No... concrete jungle

Palm looks like it has fruit

That's the biggest one I think I have seen that far north . Looks like a great microclimate .

Will

Easily one of the prettiest palms I’ve seen north of VA! Beautiful plant 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

My contribution, planted as a 15gal about 5 years ago,.  Pushing 10’ central MA zone 6a.  

IMG_3879.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

So, does this thread encompass the entire east coast, or just the central and northern regions? There's gotta be some pretty impressive east coast palms in the southern regions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kbob11 said:

My contribution, planted as a 15gal about 5 years ago,.  Pushing 10’ central MA zone 6a.  

IMG_3879.jpeg

@kbob11 that is a beautiful tree! You ever have to protect in the winter?

Reminds me of a Trachy someone protected in the upper Midwest. Planted in front of the house like this one. 

Very Nice

Trachycarpus Fortunei "nanital". This was a Plant Delights seedling when they thought that it was T. takil discovered on mount Theklar(?)  20 year ago(?)

Williamsburg, VA 7B/8A

IMG_6357.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

So, does this thread encompass the entire east coast, or just the central and northern regions? There's gotta be some pretty impressive east coast palms in the southern regions.

here, "East Coast" means Northeast Corridor lol. That's my guess haha. Shhh, or Florida will enter the chat 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jwitt said:

@LeonardHolmesIs that trunk covered by thatch or is it extra thick?  

Nice looking palm!

Screenshot_20240723-225122.thumb.png.264178b138e64e0478de823187caff7c.png

The park trunk is to the left and covered with thatch like most windmills.  The trunk to the right is a large oak tree behind it.

• Like 1

I've spent a lot of time looking for palms in the I-95 states (Mid-Atlantic/Northeast)...and it seems for the most part that there are few long term plantings above the zone 7 areas.

North of Virgnia Beach...mostly from eastern/southern Maryland to coastal Rhode Island) is where it seems most of the palms are (zone 7a/b). Just 25 - 50 miles inland and you see very few. So mostly in coastal Maryland/southeastern Maryland, most of Deleware, southern/coastal NJ,  NYC area, Long Island, coastal/southern Connecticut, and coastal Rhode Island. 

As to the northernmost, it's hard to say. Coastal Del/Ocean City, MD has many bigger ones, like this one in Rehobeth Beach, DE I took last year: (about 15 - 18 feet tall):

Rbpalms.jpg

There are several big windmills on Long Island and coastal New Jersey that I have seen , maybe 12 - 15 feet tall.  One of the biggest Palmettos I've seen north of VA Beach is the famous one in front of the University of Bridgeport on the Connecticut coast of Long Island Sound, maybe 15 - 18 feet tall:

palmec1.jpg.d0eae02b7d0adef150bbce95b642893a.jpgpalmec34.jpg.d57648c2e40270b275220ade918de3bc.jpg

As far as Pindo's ...I see some now and then in the Ocean City, MD/DE coast, and I've seen one growing in Atlantic County, NJ maybe 8 feet tall. I'm sure there are a few near me on Long Island/coastal Connecticut, but I've never seen even one. This is mine, it's about 7 feet tall:

ec457.jpg.9a0b3cdb6d01a68f39c9f3186fa1a06e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, PalmsInBaltimore said:

here, "East Coast" means Northeast Corridor lol. That's my guess haha. Shhh, or Florida will enter the chat 

Should have clarified, "North of NC".

@KPoffYes I wrap it from thanksgiving to st. Paddy’s.  I have a large needle that only gets wind protection and is doing great here. 

Trachycarpus Fortunei? This palm native to China grows in the mountains too even in snow!!! Zone 6a I believe, down to 5 below zero, or -20C. I wonder why you don't see more of these in zones 6,7 thoughout the USA? I bet some would try zone 5 based on countless zone pushers in this forum.  Maybe big box stores don't stock them in those regions? That would help distribute this throughout. Very nice!!!

11 hours ago, PalmsInBaltimore said:

the south florida royal palms can’t see this thread don’t tell them shhhhh

all jokes aside yes that’s one of the biggest palms in a 30 mile radius from my house I’ve seen lol

On 7/24/2024 at 10:41 AM, Subtropical LIS said:

I've spent a lot of time looking for palms in the I-95 states (Mid-Atlantic/Northeast)...and it seems for the most part that there are few long term plantings above the zone 7 areas.

North of Virgnia Beach...mostly from eastern/southern Maryland to coastal Rhode Island) is where it seems most of the palms are (zone 7a/b). Just 25 - 50 miles inland and you see very few. So mostly in coastal Maryland/southeastern Maryland, most of Deleware, southern/coastal NJ,  NYC area, Long Island, coastal/southern Connecticut, and coastal Rhode Island. 

As to the northernmost, it's hard to say. Coastal Del/Ocean City, MD has many bigger ones, like this one in Rehobeth Beach, DE I took last year: (about 15 - 18 feet tall):

Rbpalms.jpg

There are several big windmills on Long Island and coastal New Jersey that I have seen , maybe 12 - 15 feet tall.  One of the biggest Palmettos I've seen north of VA Beach is the famous one in front of the University of Bridgeport on the Connecticut coast of Long Island Sound, maybe 15 - 18 feet tall:

palmec1.jpg.d0eae02b7d0adef150bbce95b642893a.jpgpalmec34.jpg.d57648c2e40270b275220ade918de3bc.jpg

As far as Pindo's ...I see some now and then in the Ocean City, MD/DE coast, and I've seen one growing in Atlantic County, NJ maybe 8 feet tall. I'm sure there are a few near me on Long Island/coastal Connecticut, but I've never seen even one. This is mine, it's about 7 feet tall:

ec457.jpg.9a0b3cdb6d01a68f39c9f3186fa1a06e.jpg

That's a beautiful Butia! 

On 7/24/2024 at 9:12 AM, LeonardHolmes said:

The park trunk is to the left and covered with thatch like most windmills.  The trunk to the right is a large oak tree behind it.

I will withdraw from the contest 🤪 because the new USDA map has me in zone 8 now.  I'm East Coast but certainly not Northeast.  I'll attach a couple more pics from our bedroom window that show the trunk better and the setting - but I agree that y'all 😉 should focus on palms farther North.

IMG_6566.jpeg

IMG_6567.jpeg