• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms and liability and homeowners insurance

edbrown_III

How do folks address homeowner insurance ?   --- it prohibitively expensive here in Jacksonville ----- cheap house old, large garden --- long ago paid off ------ what do folks in FL do?

I"m on O`ahu.  House paid for and it's like 60 years old.  Not sure how much ins coverage we have.  Wife takes care of that.  We do have hurricane ins and carry a 1 million liability to cover anything where some fool tries to sue us for something.  LOL  Probably not enough.  LOL 

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Florida insurance rates are getting very crazy.  Not unusual to pay $10,000 per year around here for homeowners plus windstorm.  And good luck collecting anything for any claims, if needed.  You’ll be fighting it out in court or arbitration for a couple of years first, or accepting pennies on the dollar.  Overall, all you can do is raise your deductible, self-insure, or go naked and risk a big loss.  

3 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Florida insurance rates are getting very crazy.  Not unusual to pay $10,000 per year around here for homeowners plus windstorm.  And good luck collecting anything for any claims, if needed.  You’ll be fighting it out in court or arbitration for a couple of years first, or accepting pennies on the dollar.  Overall, all you can do is raise your deductible, self-insure, or go naked and risk a big loss.  

WOW.   We are not paying anything like that including insurance on 2 cars.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

You have to try and shop around every year. Even though the number of places to shop at has diminished. Our insurance premium has tried to double and even triple every year for the last 3-4 years. It’s been very frustrating but we’ve managed to keep it down a little. I think we are paying a little more than twice what we were paying 4 years ago. If we would have just paid what they were asking it would be double that. We have had a different provider every year. You have to wonder where all this is heading especially for people on a fixed income. 

• Like 2

who sez Big Insurance runz Florida