• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal uresana (Highlands form) -- Where to buy it ?

JeskiM

The title says it all.   Where can this species/form be purchased from ? 

I am looking for some plants that are ready to go into the ground, so likely 1 G +.   

Jungle Music was the 1st place I thought about, but they only seem to have the coastal/lowlands form that have the green leaves.  N. TX Cold Hardy Palms is now extinct, so that option is gone.

-Matt

• Like 1

Only one source I know of and you can only get small strap leaf palms.  The John Fairey Garden just outside Houston does sell them at their onsite nursery.  You need to call ahead to make sure they are open and have some available.

Beggers can't be choosers.  This is where I have sourced mine from and they are super slow compared to all the other Sabals I'm growing.

• Like 4

You might check with Barton Springs Nursery? I’ve heard they have carried them on occasion.

Barton Springs has carried them off and on for years.  It's always the coastal/lowlands green form.  I was there a few weeks ago and they didn't have any.  I plan to go back in a few weeks, so we'll see then.

-Matt

Barton Springs has nothing..... Went there last weekend. Barely any palms or tropicals... Only saw Phoenix sylvestris, sabal brazoria, and washingtonias. New owner doesn't like palms and tropicals like previous owner did. Use to have really rare and hard to find palms and cycads. Tragic....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The highlands form is nice, but the green form has certainly earned a spot as a contender for hardiness (hardier even more than the highlands) and a beautiful palm.  If you've got the room you should have them both :) 

here is ours from a 3 gallon now three years later, it is slow slow slow but boy it has proven so hardy here in DFW

IMG_2556.thumb.jpeg.ae57785fff5c21c9edf475fb88010a54.jpegIMG_2557.thumb.jpeg.52a4eeda27aa2bbeb3f1b3719cf5549e.jpegIMG_2558.thumb.jpeg.28f1b1b2ea581dba31071e1aa6ab04f5.jpeg

• Like 2

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

I do have them both:  I have 3 lowlands and 2 Highlands.

They were all purchased right before Palmageddon and survived it only because they were in the garage during that event. I planted them out a few weeks after that.

I am working on a new bed now, and plan to put a Uresana in there, but the place I got the Highlands a few years ago is now defunct.  I am looking for a new source for this palm.

Re: Barton Spring Nursery -- Yes, in years past (prior owners) they had much more variety of palms.   That was when you could find Uresansa and Brahea armata.  I talked to the guy who manages purchasing and growing and inquired about why the lack of Braheas, etc and was told that they just don't sell well. Partly due to price but also seems to be lack of interest, or awareness from their customers.  I dunno about the price argument because that nursery is smack in the middle of one of the richest areas of Austin.  I used to work very close to that nursery years ago and seeing Ferraris and Lambos was a daily experience ... though I never saw one of those vehicles at the nursery, but still.

@FilthyFiveHole  Speaking of the brazorias, and Washies (Californias I assume) do you recall what sizes they were ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sabal King said:

The highlands form is nice, but the green form has certainly earned a spot as a contender for hardiness (hardier even more than the highlands) and a beautiful palm.  If you've got the room you should have them both :) 

I'm curious to know why you think the coastal form would be more cold hardy than the highlands form?  Palms from higher elevation in habitat experience colder winter temperatures and silver palms are typically more cold hardy than their green counterparts (eg, Bismarckia, Chamaerops) due to their waxy coating which also make them more heat tolerant.  I agree that the coastal form is quite cold hardy and attractive.  Mine survived 9°F with zero protection and just slight frond damage.  Joseph at Texas Cold Hardy Palms grew both forms from seed and was convinced that the highlands form was much more cold hardy based on his experience in Mansfield, TX with hundreds of seedlings where they got tested with single digit temps.

@JeskiM, I believe that the reluctance in selling Brahea isn't cost alone but coupled with their growth speed.  Paying $50 for a 1' Brahea vs paying $15 for a 2' Washingtonia doesn't make sense to anyone besides palm enthusiasts.  It is too bad about the change in ownership.  When I lived in the area I remember them selling Sabal guatemalensis which I was also growing.  The previous owner told me that he grew a lot of palms from seed that he collected personally which is what I had done.

Jon Sunder

I don't know if they are high or low form, but Sago Rey Nursery in Fresno has a big crop of a really blue uresana. They are from their own fruiting palm so wherever the original came from I'm not sure. I picked up a few liners last week, but the entire batch is super blue, and the mother plant is really blue as well.  They don't ship or sell online though, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

These are the seedlings I bought

20240725_193951.thumb.jpg.8b198c114cdade764ef6c41c25a650fc.jpg

And this is my older one in the ground, (lower right side) also from this same blue parent as these liners. 

20240713_193945.thumb.jpg.e5e328246aa199bdf0cd13d0c01aefcf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A better look. If this is what you're looking for, it might be worth calling and asking if they'd be willing to ship.

20240503_172344.jpg

20240503_172326.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I'm curious to know why you think the coastal form would be more cold hardy than the highlands form?  Palms from higher elevation in habitat experience colder winter temperatures and silver palms are typically more cold hardy than their green counterparts (eg, Bismarckia, Chamaerops) due to their waxy coating which also make them more heat tolerant.  I agree that the coastal form is quite cold hardy and attractive.  Mine survived 9°F with zero protection and just slight frond damage.  Joseph at Texas Cold Hardy Palms grew both forms from seed and was convinced that the highlands form was much more cold hardy based on his experience in Mansfield, TX with hundreds of seedlings where they got tested with single digit temps.

@JeskiM, I believe that the reluctance in selling Brahea isn't cost alone but coupled with their growth speed.  Paying $50 for a 1' Brahea vs paying $15 for a 2' Washingtonia doesn't make sense to anyone besides palm enthusiasts.  It is too bad about the change in ownership.  When I lived in the area I remember them selling Sabal guatemalensis which I was also growing.  The previous owner told me that he grew a lot of palms from seed that he collected personally which is what I had done.

Couple of us on PT and elsewhere have stepped in to pick up the slack for a lot of nurseries which have just stopped doing cold hardy, or have taken their attention away.. likely because of the slow growth speed, smaller market (although i'd argue it would be much larger if there was attention put into it) and again, the slow slow speed of growth....  I personally am growing about 20 Sabal species and know of a few others who mostly focus on Sabals as well.

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

38 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Joseph at Texas Cold Hardy Palms grew both forms from seed and was convinced that the highlands form was much more cold hardy based on his experience in Mansfield, TX with hundreds of seedlings where they got tested with single digit temps.

He told me this too.

14 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

These are the seedlings I bought

20240725_193951.thumb.jpg.8b198c114cdade764ef6c41c25a650fc.jpg

And this is my older one in the ground, (lower right side) also from this same blue parent as these liners. 

Again, the ones I bought here are just as blue and the same size.  You have to be willing to take a drive out just NW of Houston.  They'll be far less than sourcing them from California.  They cost $20 each at The John Fairey Garden.

Looking for a larger one is like looking for a needle in a Haystack

This is the only place I have seen a 3 gallon and its going to cost almost $200 with shipping.  Depends on how bad you want one that size.

Sabal Uresana Sonoran Palmetto Grown in a 3 Gallon Pot - Etsy

4 hours ago, Sabal King said:

The highlands form is nice, but the green form has certainly earned a spot as a contender for hardiness (hardier even more than the highlands) and a beautiful palm. 

33 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Would also side w/ @Fusca on the " hardiness " rating..  One look at the most current version ( 2012. Still hasn't been updated ) of the Mex. Hardiness map lays out where the general area of distribution for each form  is located ( Yellow = Coastal / Blue = Highland )  Note the zones..

Screenshot2024-07-30at11-12-25MexicoInteractivePlantHardinessZoneMap.thumb.png.3fe8355c32168893e08c69aa0d8d9c01.png

Overall, as a arid - region species, even the green form can have some deg. of hardiness, though i'm skeptical of assuming seed collected in say Nacapule Canyon near Guaymas ..zone 10B / 11A  would be hardier than seed from specimens collected up near Yecora ..or further up on the western edge of the Plateau ...in a zone 9A / 8B location.

Having noted several canyons full of palms in the " purple " area i drew out when studying G.E. imagery, i'm wondering if this is where seed for -at least- some of the greener specimens around could have originally been collected.  Could these be an " intermediate ..Not quite coastal, but not high elevation  " form??  Probably not, but ..🤔

..Is why it is important for collectors to note detailed details regarding where seed is / was collected ..not just present a generic / broad locale.  IE: " collected in Nacapule / Alacran / Robinson Canyon ", vs. " Collected somewhere between Hermosillo and  Guaymas "..A pretty expansive area.  

...Documented each and every time i collect seed  -of anything- myself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

Understood, I am going by growing them and my own findings.  I totally get that the highlands version would be hardier, makes sense and it also makes total sense that S. rosei is very hardy given where it is located as well.  My green form has gone through 9.9f, 10.6, ice, wind, snow, etc and has come out smelling like roses here in DFW.  It comes from the one and only Joe LeVert down in Augusta, GA.  His parent palms are beautiful and has been growing them since the 80's.

My rosei is from the same grower, same location, and came from a very famous, now deceased palm grower/collector and has been incredibly hardy for us here.  I have photos of both parents so feel good about lineage.  The problem is there are so many uresana, or other name Sabals that looking forward 25 yrs, they may not be what they are nor do all of them have the same hardiness.  I have a silver form as well that I got from a local source (decent source here in DFW) and it gets roasted down below 15f.... 

I've acquired a very nice 5g S. uresana (green and silver/blue form) from the same source, and also @Chester B was able to score me one of the silver/blue form from JFG and I'm going to be taking all of these to ETX down to our 8b ranch.

• Like 3

Haven't noticed any difference in hardiness between green and blue forms. My father has only blue forms and I have only green. All survived 7f with same amount of damage and he lives 10 minutes away from me.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FilthyFiveHole said:

One of my green uresanas

IMG_20240730_091501~2 (1) (1).jpg

What a beauty!  Where are you located?  When did you plant it, and how big?

• Like 1

Located in San Antonio. Planted them around 8 years ago from 5 gal. Here's a bad pic of if around when I planted it 

IMG_20160424_185718 (1) (1).jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FilthyFiveHole said:

Located in San Antonio. Planted them around 8 years ago from 5 gal. Here's a bad pic of if around when I planted it 

IMG_20160424_185718 (1) (1).jpg

Great work, amazing growth and good husbandry.  Clearly it looks very healthy and happy.  Always amazes me seeing us plant them that small (or even smaller like many of mine are here or were when planted) and now starting to see trunk on many of them.  Such an enriching experience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sabal King said:

Understood, I am going by growing them and my own findings.  I totally get that the highlands version would be hardier, makes sense and it also makes total sense that S. rosei is very hardy given where it is located as well.  My green form has gone through 9.9f, 10.6, ice, wind, snow, etc and has come out smelling like roses here in DFW.  It comes from the one and only Joe LeVert down in Augusta, GA.  His parent palms are beautiful and has been growing them since the 80's.

My rosei is from the same grower, same location, and came from a very famous, now deceased palm grower/collector and has been incredibly hardy for us here.  I have photos of both parents so feel good about lineage.  The problem is there are so many uresana, or other name Sabals that looking forward 25 yrs, they may not be what they are nor do all of them have the same hardiness.  I have a silver form as well that I got from a local source (decent source here in DFW) and it gets roasted down below 15f.... 

I've acquired a very nice 5g S. uresana (green and silver/blue form) from the same source, and also @Chester B was able to score me one of the silver/blue form from JFG and I'm going to be taking all of these to ETX down to our 8b ranch.

Very nice!  Joe LeVert has grown some epic palms!  I appreciate how you are making cold hardy palms available which is huge for those in marginal climates.  I suppose there is some variation in cold hardiness in the different forms of uresana likely due to where the parent palms originated as @Silas_Sancona has pointed out.  Perhaps your silver form was actually not a highlands form but rather from a parent palm originating in a coastal area.

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

5 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Very nice!  Joe LeVert has grown some epic palms!  I appreciate how you are making cold hardy palms available which is huge for those in marginal climates.  I suppose there is some variation in cold hardiness in the different forms of uresana likely due to where the parent palms originated as @Silas_Sancona has pointed out.  Perhaps your silver form was actually not a highlands form but rather from a parent palm originating in a coastal area.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what this one is but i'm disappointed frankly given that it burns so badly now two years in a row....  we'll see if this Sabal sticks around long-term.  There is certainly variability in each of those so not all are the same.. maybe I got a wimp.

I'm branching out to less cold hardy stuff like this year I have a crop of yapa, maritima, causiarum and some others as well going.  Appreciate the support.

• Like 1

John Fairey Garden . 2 nights of 6°F and 100+ hours below freezing. Not much more than tip burn on all their highland form Sabal uresana. The weight of the ice did more to the fronds than anything. Definitely hardier than the green form.

2019:IMG_2565.jpegIMG_2564.jpegIMG_2566.jpeg.3b1759400d8d57de7409ba7c8c305fbe.jpeg2020:IMG_2561.jpeg.ca1327b6be31be6721613e377a7abf4a.jpegIMG_2562.jpeg.13cf70425e689fd99a4be1cc21afe444.jpegFebruary 2021:IMG_2567.jpeg.178f11cd439f499684f0e077e138c0b7.jpegIMG_2563.thumb.jpeg.14ab800abfe99eb89922ceb924bb4c66.jpegDecember 2021IMG_0374.thumb.jpeg.e2b53242aa6f396b26802ff167c671e5.jpegIMG_0371.thumb.jpeg.f0940edaf0b8c46eb3cd2808452a28a3.jpegIMG_2570.jpegOctober 2023:IMG_4388.thumb.jpeg.b931c2a72cbef84dbdecf96d2d5c3a49.jpegIMG_4397.thumb.jpeg.3190dac77822b742f602de5a9b2b0f98.jpegIMG_4395.thumb.jpeg.55911874801217caaff99241112dbb4c.jpeg

IMG_4518.jpeg

IMG_4521.jpeg

IMG_2569.jpeg

IMG_2568.jpeg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, JeskiM said:

I do have them both:  I have 3 lowlands and 2 Highlands.

They were all purchased right before Palmageddon and survived it only because they were in the garage during that event. I planted them out a few weeks after that.

I am working on a new bed now, and plan to put a Uresana in there, but the place I got the Highlands a few years ago is now defunct.  I am looking for a new source for this palm.

Re: Barton Spring Nursery -- Yes, in years past (prior owners) they had much more variety of palms.   That was when you could find Uresansa and Brahea armata.  I talked to the guy who manages purchasing and growing and inquired about why the lack of Braheas, etc and was told that they just don't sell well. Partly due to price but also seems to be lack of interest, or awareness from their customers.  I dunno about the price argument because that nursery is smack in the middle of one of the richest areas of Austin.  I used to work very close to that nursery years ago and seeing Ferraris and Lambos was a daily experience ... though I never saw one of those vehicles at the nursery, but still.

@FilthyFiveHole  Speaking of the brazorias, and Washies (Californias I assume) do you recall what sizes they were ?

The new owners of Barton Spring Nursery laid off the majority of their production team due to labor costs. They relied on importing crate size  palms from the west coast a couple years ago, which of course are not going to move quickly given the cost of freight. Since then they’ve basically limited their sales to the Washingtonia, Phoenix Sylvestris, Sabal minor, Sabal brazoriensis, and Sabal riverside they had left over in their greenhouse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

I suppose there is some variation in cold hardiness in the different forms of uresana likely due to where the parent palms originated as @Silas_Sancona has pointed out.  Perhaps your silver form was actually not a highlands form but rather from a parent palm originating in a coastal area.

Definitely possible.. 

Some Google street view  habitat shots from both the foothills along the Mex. 16 between Tonichi and Tepoca  and around San Carlos..

Along the Mex. 16.  **Imagery captured June and July 2022**. Elv. = 2200 - 2,400ft

sab_ures.MX162.thumb.jpg.9532a7ef6ddd10afaef45e426a44bf81.jpg

sab_ures.MX161.thumb.jpg.735ba49c8a3cdb34a3befca14c54b611.jpg

Note the ** possibly ** Brahea sp.  mixed in the shot
sab_ures.MX163.thumb.jpg.bc7f9b3ff9cd8a0ca621bd9015a79a52.jpg

From the San Carlos / Costa Del Mar ( last two screen grabs.  = 2 different angles of the same grove. ) ** Imagery dates: Sept. and October 2021. **

Canyon near San Carlos at approx. 22ft elv.

sab_ures.SanCarlos1.thumb.jpg.96a5898aaaec547ffe517b461b62ae5f.jpg

>11ft elv. near a boat storage area.

sab_ures.SanCarlos2.thumb.jpg.6a4f70a976ff4bb03c0ae11296a9f792.jpg

8ft elv. near a pond approx 800ft from a beach.

sab_ures.SanCarlos5.thumb.jpg.f68a790463e4951bf5ab4a14d97a9779.jpg

Costa del Mar area, 19ft elv. Approx .51mi from a Hotel to the southwest.

sab_ures.SanCarlos3.thumb.jpg.cfbe753110c7a57c125196e22f5e189c.jpg

sab_ures.SanCarlos4.thumb.jpg.ea4604f455b4af57fb95b441b9ea96ff.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

John Fairey Garden . 2 nights of 6°F and 100+ hours below freezing. Not much more than tip burn on all their highland form Sabal uresana. The weight of the ice did more to the fronds than anything. Definitely hardier than the green form.

2019:IMG_2565.jpegIMG_2564.jpegIMG_2566.jpeg.3b1759400d8d57de7409ba7c8c305fbe.jpeg2020:IMG_2561.jpeg.ca1327b6be31be6721613e377a7abf4a.jpegIMG_2562.jpeg.13cf70425e689fd99a4be1cc21afe444.jpegFebruary 2021:IMG_2567.jpeg.178f11cd439f499684f0e077e138c0b7.jpegIMG_2563.thumb.jpeg.14ab800abfe99eb89922ceb924bb4c66.jpegDecember 2021IMG_0374.thumb.jpeg.e2b53242aa6f396b26802ff167c671e5.jpegIMG_0371.thumb.jpeg.f0940edaf0b8c46eb3cd2808452a28a3.jpegIMG_2570.jpegOctober 2023:IMG_4388.thumb.jpeg.b931c2a72cbef84dbdecf96d2d5c3a49.jpegIMG_4397.thumb.jpeg.3190dac77822b742f602de5a9b2b0f98.jpegIMG_4395.thumb.jpeg.55911874801217caaff99241112dbb4c.jpeg

IMG_4518.jpeg

IMG_4521.jpeg

IMG_2569.jpeg

IMG_2568.jpeg

Hardier than the green form based on…. What?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sabal King said:

Hardier than the green form based on…. What?

Based on the fact the green form was torched in 2021 in Central Texas and the specimen at JF barely got tip burn. Based on a few PT members losing their green form altogether in 2021. Based on the fact JF didn’t lose a single one in 2021. There’s been a few threads on this subject in the past few years. 

There are intermediate forms as well. Theres blue green, silver green, and silver blue. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

Based on the fact the green form was torched in 2021 in Central Texas and the specimen at JF barely got tip burn. Based on a few PT members losing their green form altogether in 2021. Based on the fact JF didn’t lose a single one in 2021. There’s been a few threads on this subject in the past few years. 

There are intermediate forms as well. Theres blue green, silver green, and silver blue. 

Ya just make sure you get a diverse sample size because a quick scan of a handful of folks doesn’t make a study, much less help to reach a conclusion.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

Makes sense.  I have one planted in 2020 that was very blue/silver as a single strap-leaf seedling similar to Brahea armata but not quite as silver as the JFG highlands form I got from you.  It's now gone palmate but not nearly as blue as it was 4 years ago.  I have no idea of the seed source from that palm so it's likely a coastal or intermediate form.  I'm curious to see what it'll eventually look like.  The one I had in SA that survived February 2021 with minor damage was mostly green with a slight blue tint.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Sabal King said:

Ya just make sure you get a diverse sample size because a quick scan of a handful of folks doesn’t make a study, much less help to reach a conclusion.

No, I agree. I’m growing uresana from 5 different sources . Blue/silver from NTCHP, Blue/silver from JF, a blue/green with heavy blue from a South Texas grower, the green/some blue from Merrill Wilcox , a green/faint silver from Barton Spring Nursery, and strong silver/grey w/green from McNeal Nursery in Bastrop. He had one that split open the container with heavy roots in ground showing a very strong silver and growth. Those were left out in 2021.  Mine are nothing substantial as of yet.

Currently most green from Barton Spring, eventually some grey :

IMG_2574.thumb.jpeg.bf4f25f396b32b1476f7859012a5a8f8.jpeg

Silver Green from McNeal Nursery:

IMG_2572.thumb.jpeg.6c2fffa772a94a3f8019944a36183512.jpeg

Blue green from South Texas:

IMG_2573.thumb.jpeg.2294cda07880574f94e3d3aa07ce1c55.jpeg

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

No, I agree. I’m growing uresana from 5 different sources . Blue/silver from NTCHP, Blue/silver from JF, a blue/green with heavy blue from a South Texas grower, the green/some blue from Merrill Wilcox , a green/faint silver from Barton Spring Nursery, and strong silver/grey w/green from McNeal Nursery in Bastrop. He had one that split open the container with heavy roots in ground showing a very strong silver and growth. Those were left out in 2021.  Mine are nothing substantial as of yet.

Currently most green from Barton Spring, eventually some grey :

IMG_2574.thumb.jpeg.bf4f25f396b32b1476f7859012a5a8f8.jpeg

Silver Green from McNeal Nursery:

IMG_2572.thumb.jpeg.6c2fffa772a94a3f8019944a36183512.jpeg

Blue green from South Texas:

IMG_2573.thumb.jpeg.2294cda07880574f94e3d3aa07ce1c55.jpeg

Ya I love the fact we can document all of these various specimens.  Eventually we’ll find some winners and continue propagating those regardless!  Kudos to you.

• Like 2

One thing I'll note is that I saw pictures of those ones at John Fairey for years on here.  When I first saw them in person, they blew my mind because they are enormous.  The pictures don't do them justice, we really need to get one with a person standing under them for scale.  It's like the pictures make them look like the size of a horse, when really they are elephants.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Chester B said:

One thing I'll note is that I saw pictures of those ones at John Fairey for years on here.  When I first saw them in person, they blew my mind because they are enormous.  The pictures don't do them justice, we really need to get one with a person standing under them for scale.  It's like the pictures make them look like the size of a horse, when really they are elephants.

I have got to go see them even more now. I called them a couple years back to see if they had any at their nursery but they didn't so I haven't made the drive. I ought to call them again this year but I don't think I'll have the time to make the drive.

1 hour ago, apriliarider15 said:

I have got to go see them even more now. I called them a couple years back to see if they had any at their nursery but they didn't so I haven't made the drive. I ought to call them again this year but I don't think I'll have the time to make the drive.

If you ever decide to go call ahead to 1) Make sure the nursery is open on the day you will be around 2) That they have some available.

The first time I went they hardly had any palms for sale and I did not see any uresana.  I asked about them and they said "Oh yeah we have a bunch of those in the back, how many do you want?"  So in this case its best to ask for them specifically.  Believe it or not they also told me there wasn't a lot of interest from people to buy them.  Blasphemy!!

• Upvote 2

On 7/30/2024 at 6:30 AM, FilthyFiveHole said:

New owner doesn't like palms and tropicals like previous owner did. Use to have really rare and hard to find palms and cycads. Tragic....

I didn't realize they went through a ownership change. I was there earlier in the Spring and came back almost empty-handed (That's almost never been the case with BS). That might explain. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Swolte said:

I didn't realize they went through a ownership change. I was there earlier in the Spring and came back almost empty-handed (That's almost never been the case with BS). That might explain. 

Ownership changed as of 2021. Conrad Bering kept his farm/growing field, he still operates as Bering Growers @ 973 farm, but cut back his focus to mostly Yucca rostrata. This eliminated the source for most of their unique affordable palms. They pretty much cleared out what they had left in their greenhouses in Spring 2021 after the big freeze.. Occasionally a Sabal riverside will pop up but I’m not 100% sure it’s accurate( based on larger specimen still at his farm) Conrad got most of his seed from RPS. His filifera are filibusta from seed originally collected in Fort Stockton, Texas .
    I heard from him that the soaring wages lead the new ownership to cut most of the production team he had for years. They source most of their plants from wholesale growers now. They still have a decent selection of native plants, but their palm, cactus, and succulent selection has definitely dropped off to common species.

https://www.penick.net/digging/?p=73987

• Like 3

And in another hit to the Central Texas plant scene, I found out Pat McNeal passed away last Saturday. His operation was a shadow of what it once  was, but he was a walking encyclopedia on plants and localities in Texas and Mexico

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Chester B said:

If you ever decide to go call ahead to 1) Make sure the nursery is open on the day you will be around 2) That they have some available.

The first time I went they hardly had any palms for sale and I did not see any uresana.  I asked about them and they said "Oh yeah we have a bunch of those in the back, how many do you want?"  So in this case its best to ask for them specifically.  Believe it or not they also told me there wasn't a lot of interest from people to buy them.  Blasphemy!!

It’s crazy what they would sell, mostly flowers and common species. They had a number of Palms, Agave,  Cactus, Yucca, etc. in the back that no one would buy. If you are into Oaks or rare Mexican trees Craig Jackson had a huge selection collecting dust. It was all plants for enthusiasts familiar with those names. It really should move to online sales to drive business and interest to the garden, but they claim no one will be motivated to visit if they can buy online. That was happening anyway. I will definitely be more active this fall. I want enjoy this garden before it’s lost

• Like 2

On 7/29/2024 at 9:54 AM, JeskiM said:

The title says it all.   Where can this species/form be purchased from ? 

I am looking for some plants that are ready to go into the ground, so likely 1 G +.   

Jungle Music was the 1st place I thought about, but they only seem to have the coastal/lowlands form that have the green leaves.  N. TX Cold Hardy Palms is now extinct, so that option is gone.

-Matt

Ive got a few in band size and a larger 6x12 treepot. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 12:33 AM, Meangreen94z said:

It’s crazy what they would sell, mostly flowers and common species. They had a number of Palms, Agave,  Cactus, Yucca, etc. in the back that no one would buy. If you are into Oaks or rare Mexican trees Craig Jackson had a huge selection collecting dust. It was all plants for enthusiasts familiar with those names. It really should move to online sales to drive business and interest to the garden, but they claim no one will be motivated to visit if they can buy online. That was happening anyway. I will definitely be more active this fall. I want enjoy this garden before it’s lost

Is this still in reference to John Fairey?  I’m definitely interested in oaks, especially those from Mexico and the southwest.  For those interested there is an outfit called Oaks of the Wild West, originally out of Arizona, that have opened a location in the Dripping Springs area. They boast an inventory list of nearly 30 species native to the border states from Cali to Texas as well as northern Mexico.  They also ship! Their primary location is in Southeastern AZ, Hereford.

I plan to check them out this fall.

• Like 1