• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal uresana (Highlands form) -- Where to buy it ?

JeskiM

Yes, I can't say enough good things about JFG. Been a member since I discovered that gem of a garden and it needs all the support it can get. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisA said:

Is this still in reference to John Fairey?  I’m definitely interested in oaks, especially those from Mexico and the southwest.  For those interested there is an outfit called Oaks of the Wild West, originally out of Arizona, that have opened a location in the Dripping Springs area. They boast an inventory list of nearly 30 species native to the border states from Cali to Texas as well as northern Mexico.  They also ship! Their primary location is in Southeastern AZ, Hereford.

I plan to check them out this fall.

Yes, they have  oaks from Mexico, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona etc. With Craig Jackson gone I’m not sure who will have knowledge on their inventory .

What is the address/location in Dripping Spring? I couldn’t locate it in a search but definitely interested.

• Like 1

@Meangreen94z Hmm.  I am not sure if the Oaks of Wild West is still in operation in the Dripping Springs location. I just checked the website and it looks way different than I last saw it and I no longer see any mention of the Dripping Springs location.

The company is run by Gary and Sue Foss (brother and sister). Gary ran out of AZ and Sue ran from D. Springs.   Last time I visited Sue I know she was dealing with health problems.  It's possible that she has passed on.  I will try to contact her.

She ran her part of the business out of her house which was down off of Nutty Brown and Burnt Oak road.

-Matt

• Like 1

Ugh.  I just tried connecting with Sue.  All of my text history with her is gone.  I tried to call her cell # and can't connect without getting a msg saying that number can't be reached.  So, I tried a new text convo. and it appears that what was her cell # is now a landline #.  This doesn't feel good.  I've used her cell # for 10 years ...

I went back through some emails with her and my last contact with her was October 2021. She was telling me how she was in AZ during the big freeze and lost the vast majority of her oak trees / inventory.  

I am afraid that it sounds like the D. Springs location is now out of the question, and I am not 100% certain of her status either.

I think Gary may be all that remains of the business, and he's getting up there in age too.

- Matt

I was just on the website last week and now it does look completely different… 

Thanks for the information you provided and trying to contact Sue @JeskiM, I fear it is not good news.  If they have suffered a loss my prayers and thoughts are with them. The 2021 Freeze did a lot of damage and I can’t imagine how difficult that would be as a be as a plant nursery owner.

Here’s to gentler winters and good health.

• Like 1

I am sorry to have to povide this update, but I can confirm that Sue did pass away in February 2023.

Prayers up for her and for Gary as I know this is will have been hard on him. 

-Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2024 at 8:41 AM, JeskiM said:

I am sorry to have to povide this update, but I can confirm that Sue did pass away in February 2023.

Prayers up for her and for Gary as I know this is will have been hard on him. 

-Matt

Thanks. I sent a message and never got a response. It’s unfortunate.

If you're looking for oaks and other trees out of the American SW and Mexico, then Cistus Design Nursery out of Portland, Oregon has specialized in plants like that for years.  Oregon is quite a bit different than Washington or BC which I consider "The real PNW", or at least the image of what most people think the PNW is like.  Oregon has had one of the fastest changing climates and these sorts of plants and trees thrive there, better even than some of the native plants.  Lots of nurseries in Oregon in general have plants available you wouldn't necessarily associate with the PNW.

The owner of Cistus was friends with John Fairey and they went on expeditions together down to Mexico looking for new plants.

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

If you're looking for oaks and other trees out of the American SW and Mexico, then Cistus Design Nursery out of Portland, Oregon has specialized in plants like that for years.  Oregon is quite a bit different than Washington or BC which I consider "The real PNW", or at least the image of what most people think the PNW is like.  Oregon has had one of the fastest changing climates and these sorts of plants and trees thrive there, better even than some of the native plants.  Lots of nurseries in Oregon in general have plants available you wouldn't necessarily associate with the PNW.

The owner of Cistus was friends with John Fairey and they went on expeditions together down to Mexico looking for new plants.

Only trouble w/ someone in say TX ordering Oaks ..Possibly other Hardwoods  from a nursery in Ore or WA. could be that they can't / shouldn't be shipping to TX due to AG restrictions  ..Sudden Oak Death, other disease issues that are more common in the PNW  atm, that aren't established in TX..  And hopefully won't spread / be introduced there.

I'd stick with sourcing trees like Oaks as close to home as possible. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 11:54 AM, JeskiM said:

I talked to the guy who manages purchasing and growing and inquired about why the lack of Braheas, etc and was told that they just don't sell well. Partly due to price but also seems to be lack of interest, or awareness from their customers. 

I talked to someone (I forgot his name :() from John Fairey Garden, as to why they didn't propagate more of the incredible silver/white uresana, and he said the same thing. Very little interest outside of people from palmtalk and he didn't want to deal with shipping for the few that would be interested. He said he did try on ebay for a little while, but there wasn't much interest there either. 

It's a real shame, because in the case of Texas where it's good palm growing weather 99% of the time, the 1% of the time it's not ruins everything. The silver uresana could actually make it through those really bad freezes we get mostly unscathed. With how limited this area is in terms of palm trees like that, I would think they'd be a hit, but most people don't seem to care about palms here. At least that's what he told me.  

• Like 2

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

On 7/30/2024 at 5:45 PM, Meangreen94z said:

John Fairey Garden . 2 nights of 6°F and 100+ hours below freezing. Not much more than tip burn on all their highland form Sabal uresana. The weight of the ice did more to the fronds than anything. Definitely hardier than the green form

It's worth the trip just to see these in person if anyone is in the area. Again, I wish someone would mass propagate them and plant them around Texas, they look incredible in person. 

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

12 hours ago, Chester B said:

Thanks. Ironically I recently noticed Cistus has Quercus gregii, a species from Mexico that I had purchased through John Fairey Garden.  Likely sourced on the same expedition back in the 90’s.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Thanks. Ironically I recently noticed Cistus has Quercus gregii, a species from Mexico that I had purchased through John Fairey Garden.  Likely sourced on the same expedition back in the 90’s.

For sure.