• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HELP! Trachycarpus growing inside another Trachycarpus?

Denis.green.garden

I have a trachycarpus fortunei and two or three months ago i started seeing a leaf emerge. Was kinda excited but nothing too special, right? Couple of weeks later i decided to check on the leaf and noticed that it didn’t grow at all. Now i came back from vacation and saw that the trunk was kinda split in two with a weird knob in the middle. Not only that but the previous leaf didn’t grow any bigger and to my surprise a second leaf started growing. To me it kinda looks like a second trachycarpus is pushing through the first one thus splitting it. I didn’t find anything about it and really don’t know what to do. IMG_7372.thumb.jpeg.851d864643812d2d26683802ca79fd1b.jpegIMG_7373.thumb.jpeg.5e366dbdd0cb52169074d3b56371ebbd.jpegIMG_7374.thumb.jpeg.38f8e23eae4d79b8c20bd61af5c98a59.jpegIMG_7375.thumb.jpeg.ce7f64745d347426cbaef7078f70d0d0.jpeg

New growing point. You can observe yourself that last leaves popping up from original one are abnormal, an indication that latter growing point is sick.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

New growing point. You can observe yourself that last leaves popping up from original one are abnormal, an indication that latter growing point is sick.

What do you recommend doing? Is there any way i can save it?

1 hour ago, Denis.green.garden said:

What do you recommend doing? Is there any way i can save it?

No need to do anything.  The new growing point will become the area where all new growth will emerge.  The old growing point will just come to a halt and eventually die off while the palm continues its growth from the new point.  At some point (probably a year or two) you won't even notice that anything had happened and it will look normal again.  If you're curious to read more about this condition just search for "dweezle" - a term that a fellow Palmtalker coined for it.  :)

• Upvote 3

Jon Sunder

The best way to save it is not to save it. Rip it out and plant another nice one without this condition. I don't have the patience for it 😄