• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CFPACS - Preservation of Our History

CFPACS

logo.jpg.0043a77f7bf43b62c643ad3fa794fa49.jpg

Part of our move toward the future must involve preserving our past.  As such, preserving and centralizing access to as many of our publications as possible is a priority.  We are currently attempting to collect as many of our publications as possible.  Primarily, this centers around back issues of  The Palmateer, but could also include publications that were not published in our aforementioned quarterly or exist only as paper documents.  Many of our former board members, current members, and past meeting attendees are active on the PalmTalk forums or on Facebook.  Effectively, this is an all call for assistance.

If you have any of the following, please post them here, send them to cfpacs.membership@gmail.com, or PM us here on PalmTalk.

• Issues of The Palmateer and/or CFPACS News prior to 2013.
  • Articles, pictures, videos from CFPACS meetings that you would like preserved.
  • Anything else you would like to share.

Feel free to respond with any questions, comments, or concerns.

For more information, visit our homepage at: http://cfpacs.com/org/

• kinzyjr pinned this topic

To view the current compilation of CFPACS Meetings past, present, and future, visit the link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PuLwLq3tnBQzg2TDtQ-lsupSxj9Lf35I/view?usp=sharing

NOTE: If you download a local copy, you can click on the year in the table of contents and navigate to it directly. 

For more information, visit our homepage at: http://cfpacs.com/org/

I have paper issues dating back to 1997.  Someone would have to unstaple all of those and scan them to PDF files.  It's a daunting task but worthwhile as mentioned.

• Like 2

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

5 hours ago, SubTropicRay said:

I have paper issues dating back to 1997.  Someone would have to unstaple all of those and scan them to PDF files.  It's a daunting task but worthwhile as mentioned.

I'm spearheading the operation currently.  I have a few sets of documents on the way that will need scanned.  Once I finish with those, I'll follow up with you and add anything missing.  It's better for me to do a set or two at a time so I don't end up hoarding documents for a year. 

--

There are also some folks who have electronic copies (PDFs) of some of the content that have been given access to a Google drive to upload directly.  If anyone else has electronic copies, or is willing to make them, and would like access, you can:

• email the membership account (cfpacs.membership@gmail.com), or
  • PM me or the Membership PalmTalk account, or
  • or post here

and we'll get you set up.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

The first reclaimed issue of The Palmateer, 2011 Spring Issue from right after the 2010 cold snaps in January and December:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1arFJpXdzp6qy7zSiVw2TQESzS2HiBdcJ/view

As you can see, we didn't cheap out on the dpi nor did we go black and white - full color like the original.  More to come as time permits.  @SubTropicRay, we'll be in touch once we do a full inventory of what we have.  Thank you to everyone who has contacted us so far.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Progress Update:

Currently, we've collected either the original PDF documents or scanned copies of the vast bulk of the back issues of The Palmateer.  Thank you to @Bob Johnson for your assistance with the PDFs thus far.

When possible, we will use the original PDF as the scanned copies can sometimes skew, bleed through from the back of the page, or have markings from the original owners.  We have original PDF copies of all issues from 1999-2004, 2013-2023.  We have scanned copies of most of the other issues from 2005-2011, with a few isolated original PDFs in the mix.

The notable holes in the collection include the entire year of 2012, the 2nd quarter (summer) issue in 2009, and almost everything pre-1999.  You can track the progress here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v70R26uhM8O3ZOgPGPZDxPSUNZQw3im_/edit?gid=1233642553#gid=1233642553

@SubTropicRay You should receive an email from the membership account with a few questions about the back issues you have.

Lakeland, FL

First Update Ready:

This update encompasses all of the work mentioned above.  The amount of progress made in 3 short weeks is staggering.  Big thanks to Mike Merritt, @Bob Johnson, and Don Agnello for their assistance to get to this point.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xq3crm97Ntwj-K_p1gBVXiSoYmTVwR76/view?usp=drive_link

When you click the link, a PDF should open in your browser.  The table of contents is sorted by year will allow you to find the year you wish to review. 

20240825_ToC.jpg.e96bcaf60bb781e51a0e4929f50f9968.jpg

If you click a link for an issue of the The Palmateer, a Central Florida Palm Review, or a Central Florida Palm Bulletin, the publication should open in a new browser tab. 

Link for a publication inside of the initial document:

20240825_MeetingLink.jpg.cc80c5aaefb982dbf0b8aae6bd6f8b86.jpg

PDF document opens in another tab (original tab boxed in red, new tab in yellow-orange):

20240825_NewDocOpen.jpg.06a0c81ce55356569c539673b1a97813.jpg

You're welcome to download the PDFs to your device for better performance.

Feedback about broken links, etc. is appreciated.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL